Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

@Titus you missed the PTFE changes.

Different material and spring set up. Might not have an impact for you but hopefully it's a big step forward in reliability for UM2 owners. Well ones that haven't hacked their printers with spring replacements and PTFE upgrades from 3d solex.

Good work Team Ultimaker. Hope the Extrusion  upgrade can be available asap. What about the geared feeder and glass clip? Upgrade able? Available for upgrade too? Thanks Team Ultimaker  for your hardwork. :)

Yes! :) Maybe it wasn't clear.

There will be one upgrade pack available in Q1; the Extrusion upgrade pack. It has the geared feeder, improved printhead, glass clips. Everything you need!

You are very welcome :)

• Like 1

@Titus you missed the PTFE changes.

Different material and spring set up. Might not have an impact for you but hopefully it's a big step forward in reliability for UM2 owners. Well ones that haven't hacked their printers with spring replacements and PTFE upgrades from 3d solex.

Blaming my UMO(+), I thought that was part of the Olsson block etc ;)

maybe a stupid newbie question...

will the 2+ that I buy in US work in Europe also? Are they using the same voltage?

reason for asking is that I currently live in US, but will in coming years be back in europe....

SandervG or someone else can you please confirm before I pull the trigger?

thanks.

The meanwell powerbrick is 100-240 volt (the machine is 24volt) so no problem.
    • Like 1

Summarizing:

Olsson block

25W went to 35W heater?

New fan shroud with new fans

New feeder

And I read something about those finger saving clips, got any of those to give away at an ulti-evening :p?

No, that is not all.

There is much more improved to the printhead.

It has a more accurate PT100, it would make it easier to share 3D printing profiles and different material usages. It also has a new PTFE coupler, and the spring has been replaced for a spacer (as @Korneel already noticed).

A lot of users have alternative feeders yes, but that doesn't kill the need for an improvement. This feeder is possibly even better? At the very least another alternative to choose from. (@IRobertI, no offence ;))

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

New PT100 and clips will be available separately?

Yes, the PT100 as regular spare part anyway. But not yet, so don't get confused and purchase the old one. The clips shouldn't be a problem either :)

Edited by Guest

Will there be a TFM coupler for Ultimakers Original or we don't get some love?

Any price orientation for the geared feeder? I want three!

When I originally read about the 2+ on Engadget, I was initially rather upset - but then I remembered Ultimaker isn't Makerbot and found this post including the announcement of the upgrade kit.

Thank you for being so inclusive of everyone in the community and not excluding those with a UM2! I will definitely be getting the upgrade as soon as it's available!

• Like 1

New PT100 and clips will be available separately?

Yes, the PT100 as regular spare part anyway. But not yet, so don't get confused and purchase the old one. The clips shouldn't be a problem either :)

Yummy!!!!

You should include a little "+" sticker in the upgrade kit :)

• Like 6

will the 2+ that I buy in US work in Europe also? Are they using the same voltage?

reason for asking is that I currently live in US, but will in coming years be back in europe....

thanks.

It uses the same powersupply as the UM2, so it will be no problem, it is a Mean Well GS220A20-R7B: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/260/gs220-spec-767464.pdf and have a input voltage of 90-264VAC

• Like 1

Will there be a TFM coupler for Ultimakers Original or we don't get some love?

Any price orientation for the geared feeder? I want three!

TFM; it is not recommended. The diameter would fit but the TFM is a bit longer so it could make it wobble or unstable. But there is plenty of love, don't forget it!

Price; not yet!

It will be a conclusive upgrade pack, so everything to upgrade your Ultimaker 2.

thanks.

It will work, you just need a different power chord but that shouldn't be a problem :)
    • Like 1

It believe there is! (OMG, its like we thought of everything! :p)
    • Like 4

It believe there is! (OMG, its like we thought of everything! :p)

.. I am going to regret saying this :p

• Like 3

Yuppie...just placed the order for U2+....should be here tomorrow....

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

A lot of users have alternative feeders yes, but that doesn't kill the need for an improvement. This feeder is possibly even better? At the very least another alternative to choose from. (@IRobertI, no offence ;))

Oh, trust me, no one would be happier than me to see my alternative feeder become obsolete.

Darn.... I planned on having 2 Olsson blocks for 2.85mm and 1.75mm filament and remove the unused nozzle to not have it hit anything and keep things perfectly reliable.

All you need to do is drill a hole to the top plastic piece. The metal bits still have the hole.

Wow! Nice job guys! :D

When you upload files on Github? <3

Usually they do that 6 months after releasing new stuff.

I assume the new feeder will be a huge improvement, just seems not to solve the ease of cleaning the driving nut. Is it easy to unscrew the top plate for cleaning? Is is possible to see the driving nut through the hole in the top plate? (can't see it in the picture).

All in all I like the update, but considering the issues with the old feeder its a bit late ... at least a year too late imho ..

Looking at the issues people have with PTFE's a real improvement on the hot end would have been nice too...  so there's still a few things too wish for ...

You can remove the outermost part of the feeder without removing anything else. Sometimes the nuts that the screws goes into fall out though so then you have to remove the rest regardless. I'm hoping that was just on the demo unit I've been testing. The new feeder is a bit more of a pain to put back together again but it's not a huge hassle.

The feeder has been in development for a while. I tested the first prototype just over a year ago.

Summarizing:

new fans

Same fans as far as I know and can tell. I've seen Sunon fans starting to creep into the production of the UM2s though. I haven't asked about that though.

Edit: Also, finally, I can stop biting my tongue :p And in case you guys missed it, you already saw the machine a few days before christmas if you visited the Coffee thread ;)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

So @IRobertI do you find the feeder good to use?

Have the spacers for the timing belt pulleys been fixed?

The belts are always grinding on one side and not centered because the spacer is 0.5-1.0mm too short.

That was the case with my older Ultimaker II and my newer Ultimaker II extended and I noticed it consistently on a few other UM2 machines.

You'll notice dark timing belt shavings on the stepper, below the belt, after a few thousand hours of operation.

(No affect on reliability though but not just a cosmetical issue either.)

I think this an issue with QA - during assembly, the wrong spacer was used. I had it on my UM2 too and just printed one myself (white PLA and no signs of wear).

spacer.thumb.jpg.be723a757a2ca43ad784d3138d305e95.jpg

spacer.thumb.jpg.be723a757a2ca43ad784d3138d305e95.jpg

• Like 1

I've put about 100 hours worth of prints through it and it seems to be working well so far. It has a grooved bearing that I had hoped would help with flexible materials but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've only tried it once though, so nothing conclusive there.

The opening around the knurled wheel is smaller than on the UM2 so you can't really get in there to clean it as easily. On the other hand I haven't had it grind on me yet.

I haven't done any excessive speed tests as I very rarely print fast, I prefer quality. But we did try cranking the speed a bit at UM HQ. We were printing something at 60mm/s or something, I think (can't quite remember, was a couple of months ago), and we went up to 300% speed and it kept printing. It wasn't a true 300% increase due to the size of the object though, but still :) Sorry, no hard numbers there but it's an indication at least. I'd say don't expect miracles.

The quick release is nice. It's not as convenient as my feeder since you have to keep holding it, and the spring pushes back quite hard, but it beats using the automatic load for sure. (officially it's not meant for this though, it's more for "emergencies")

Overall, I am impressed.

I like that the Olsson Block is standard issue and that the feeder, which seemed to be the cause of many, many extrusion problems. The fan fix is another positive, as is the more powerful heater.

What this shows me is that the company took a serious look at the issues the Ultimaker 2 had, listened to the feedback from the community and made changes. I like that.

I think when we were teased about big news, I might've been expecting some bigger changes. Maybe an even bigger build volume? (Big on my list!) Or self calibration or other things some other printers have added.

Nice work, Ultimaker. Now just stop the vertigo inducing videography in your videos ;)

• Like 1

In reply to your comment about flexible filament.

Our buddies from Faraday Motions had very positive experience using flexible materials using the Ultimaker 2+.