Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

Amazing, i was about to buy a Ultimaker 2 Extended last week and decided to wait a bit... Ultimaker 2 Extended+ here i come!

Awesome, congratulations!!

Make sure to let us know when you have received it! :)

My first impression; very nice upgrade for the average user, no need to spend money for the advanced user.

fan shrout:

laberns in ABS works very nice, maybe even better than the new metal part regarding sound level.

tube i.s.o spring: got it.

feeder: think I'll prefer keeping my beefed up version of roberts, like to see and clean the inside, and it's working without issues.

PT100, my machine is very stable, with the UM head and with an E3Dv6, don't see any need to change here. I would just get a replacement PT100 where it's the cheapest...

PTFE replacement, like to try it, what material is it, whats the max temp ?

• Like 2

I am a bit disapointed really, the only thing for me is the Feeder to put on my list, we shall se how long it takes for the hacks on it to appear. The rest I have done with the help and advise of this community (thank you) The glass clamps not interested. I feel that just maybe the company is resting on it's laurels and intuity of the community to put things right that should have been sorted by UM. If I'm not mistaken when it came to the Olson Block they were sceptical of the design yet they have implemented it.

Don't get me wrong from a new user who wants very specific things I aplaud there efforts, but I see other companies closing in and surpassing Um if they carry on tinkering without a major push forward I could see them losing market share.

For me the biggest thing is the community and the wealth of knowledge, I also bet they have kept the dam on and off button at the back.

• Like 1

feeder: think I'll prefer keeping my beefed up version of roberts, like to see and clean the inside, and it's working without issues.

I wonder if there is a possibility of printing an skeletonised outer cover.

I'm just curious how well the geared feeder works on small items if it will be more accurate.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

I share @ultiarjan opinion about the upgrade. There is nothing really new in the upgrade, only the upgrades community people suggested are now out-of-the-box. Of course I'll buy the upgrade kit as soon as it's available, but I guess I'll have to wait for the UM3 for the "real" upgrades. :)(dual extrusion, auto-leveling, less decibels, ...)

A contest with "UM2 upgrade kits" to win would be an awesome idea to celebrate the release of the UM2+ right? :)

Still shame current UM2 owners have to wait, they should get priority to buy the upgrade kit even before you start selling your UM2+ ;)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

It's already a great design and after many other printers I found to be the first that was reliable and accurate enough for me.

I'm glad to see that there still isn't much to be improves because it's already great.

A bit expensive maybe and with issues getting small spare parts without spending a fortune and having an office on hotel to ship it to. But I accept that.

(and with a terrible forum software)

Edited by Guest

(and with a terrible forum software)

I totally agree.  They've nearly wrecked their showpiece...their community....by mucking around with the forums.  Either buy a platform like vBulletin and leave it alone!  8)

Edited by Guest

I am a bit disapointed really, the only thing for me is the Feeder to put on my list, we shall se how long it takes for the hacks on  it to appear. The rest I have done with the help and advise of this community (thank you) The glass clamps not interested.  I feel that just maybe the company is resting on it's laurels and intuity of the community to put things right that should have been sorted by UM.  If I'm not mistaken when it came to the Olson Block they were sceptical of the design yet they have implemented it.

Don't get me wrong from a new user who wants very specific things I aplaud there efforts, but I see other companies closing in and surpassing Um if they carry on tinkering without a major push forward I could see them losing market share.

For me the biggest thing is the community and the wealth of knowledge, I also bet they have kept the dam on and off button at the back.

I don't see it as a disappointment. The 2+ is an useful iteration that tackles the biggest issues of its predecessor. You can't expect a product to be flawless from the beginning. Look at Apple or other big manufacturers. I don't know if they listen to the community (they sure don't show it if they do). But even if their R&D expense is bigger than the FDM 3D market put together, they still don't get it right from the beginning.

I applaud Ultimaker for being loyal to its users and _not_ just releasing a fancy UM3 and be done with the UM2. There were some hard decisions to be made (dual extrusion) but instead of half heartedly implementing them, they ditched it and went back to the drawing board.

There are still some convenience features missing (auto-leveling, filament-flow detector, wifi-print (bundle OctoPrint already daminit)) but it is a matter of prioritizing. Would you have wanted them to bring auto-leveling before extrusion issues were fixed? Me neither.

I think most people underestimate Ultimaker's real market share. We don't know how many big clients they have (education market surely is big), and although I don't see Ultimakers appearing that often on the top spots of 3DHubs reports, I think the company is doing just fine.

• Like 7

so since I was tagged anyway.. I've been running the new TFM coupler for about 10K combined hours. yes you read that right, 10K hours. as in, XT, PLA, ABS, whatever.. every now and then I had to clean the nozzle.. but the coupler itself just perfect..

in my opinion, that will be the greatest improvement to the printers.. a coupler that, combined with the spring replacement, will just work without worrying about wear. I have one that has been in one of my printers for over 6 months now.. (you see, Ultimaker tests stuff :) ) and it is still going strong..

I know people see me complain every now and then in the forums (and yes, there are points that are just bugging the hell out of me when it comes to certain portions of the company) but in the end, Ultimaker is a great company that has it's users best interests as priority one..

• Like 2

My first impression; very nice upgrade for the average user, no need to spend money for the advanced user.

fan shrout:

laberns in ABS works very nice, maybe even better than the new metal part regarding sound level.

tube i.s.o spring: got it.

PT100, my machine is very stable, with the UM head and with an E3Dv6, don't see any need to change here. I would just get a replacement PT100 where it's the cheapest...

PTFE replacement, like to try it, what material is it, whats the max temp ?

well, you know how much of a fan I am of your upgrades ;) but I think you'll like the new feeder. no more heat transfer and way way way less chances of the head digging in at prints with heavy retractions. that's the only downside of your version of the feeder. when the stepper motor gets hot, during a lot of retractions, it just digs in.. only way to prevent it is to print slower. this geared feeder does not have that issue. downside.. material changes are much more difficult.

the PT100 is way better. the temperature is stable and the old ones were off by 10 degrees every now and then. I run 3 machines and i measured the heads from the inside with my Fluke meter.. and consistently when the machine said the head was 250 degrees, it was actually 258 to 260 degrees. the new PT100 has been spot on for me every single time.

then there is the tube/spring replacement.. i suppose you know my feelings about that one ;)

and the TFM coupler.. loving it.. that thing is insane.. i've ran ABS through it for 600+ hours, then immediately after PLA.. not a problem. I had to replace one after 4000 hours, not because it was broken, but because I messed up the Olsson Block and that got junk in between the coupler and the block, messing it up..

that thing alone is worth a 100 euros easy..

I am a bit disapointed really, the only thing for me is the Feeder to put on my list, we shall se how long it takes for the hacks on it to appear. The rest I have done with the help and advise of this community (thank you) The glass clamps not interested. I feel that just maybe the company is resting on it's laurels and intuity of the community to put things right that should have been sorted by UM. If I'm not mistaken when it came to the Olson Block they were sceptical of the design yet they have implemented it.

I disagree;

i know they have not rested.. just because you don't see a lot of things doesn't mean they are not doing a lot of things. I'm a very skeptical person and I wish they were more open about some stuff but they are working their asses off..

when it comes to the improvements, they take the Um2 from a good printer that requires care, to a great printer, maybe even the best printer (that still requires care btw ;) ) ..

the feeder, the tube, the PT100, the Olsson Block, the new fan shroud, they are all awesome and definitely worth the investment.

• Like 1

TFM Coupler?

Sounds interesting.

Till what temp did you use the tfm? Can it do 270c for abs? Wouldn't mind ditching the e3dv6 :)

well, with the old PT100, when you were doing 250 degrees, it was actually doing 260 so i would say yes ;)

PS : i believe the new Um2 has a stronger heater as well...

Yuppie...just placed the order for U2+....should be here tomorrow....

can you share a picture of the feeder with the top cover taken of? Thanks.
    • Like 1

Considering that this is just a newer version of the UM2, I find it perfect. I'd have loved to see some new fancy features, but I believe @Nicolinux is right when he says that fixing the problems comes before than adding new features.

This is just the Ultimaker 2+, not the Ultimaker 3. James Franco explains it in one GIF.

pIvKZxD.gif

• Like 1

Yuppie...just placed the order for U2+....should be here tomorrow....

can you share a picture of the feeder with the top cover taken of?  Thanks.

it's just going to be 2 gears.. one smaller from the motor and a larger one that has a curled knob attached to it...

Till what temp did you use the tfm? Can it do 270c for abs? Wouldn't mind ditching the e3dv6 :)

well, with the old PT100, when you were doing 250 degrees, it was actually doing 260 so i would say yes ;)

it can easily do 270... I mean do you know how much the new coupler can take?

haven't tested it that far.. I simply tested durability..

haven't tested it that far.. I simply tested durability..

@SandervG can you share the max temperature for the new coupler? Did you guys test it at higher temps?

can you share a picture of the feeder with the top cover taken of?  Thanks.

Not seen is the gear that the knurled wheel is connected to.

DSC_7066.thumb.jpg.93bc48d786d721fb231514d8c24bd847.jpg

DSC_7066.thumb.jpg.93bc48d786d721fb231514d8c24bd847.jpg

• Like 3

I was curious what the side of the feeder looked like

How does it adjust? Through the top screw? Details!

Am I correct in assuming the 2+ upgrade kit will also fit the Ultimaker 2Go?

Am I correct in assuming the 2+ upgrade kit will also fit the Ultimaker 2Go?

Not the feeder as it's reversed and it's too bulky

So i guess the UM2 upgrade kit will have different mounting holes then the ones for the UM2+ as I cant see the top/Bottom feeder holes like ones that are in the new feeder.