Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

question about the upgrade kit though;

will it be possible to buy separate portions?

I don't care about the feeder, but I do care about the fans and the aluminum spacer.. would be great to get my spacer replaced by a machined one..

Some parts will be available as spare parts, like the PT100, heater cartridge and PTFE TFM coupler. But the entire extrusion upgrade pack won't be split up in feeder / printhead seperate packages.

So let me make sure I completely understand...

Olsson Block  - Already got it (just not installed yet - Christmas present)

Improved Shroud - Have a similar printed model

Removal of spring - Have a similar printed model

TPM coupler - Have a small supply of TFT coupler from gr8

Improved glass clips - ehh

35W heater - Already got it (just not installed yet - Christmas present)

Improved PT100 - can buy as replacement part

Feeder - only available in upgrade kit

I'm still using the stock feeder (it's never really failed me and my printer has nearly 2000 print hours, but I also almost always print ABS). I am VERY interested in the new feeder. BUT because I was willing to keep up with the community "upgrades" (minus the feeder), I doubt it will make a lot of sense to purchase the upgrade kit. Why penalize the person wanting to improve their printer by not offering this separately?

well, I don't completely agree;

the metal shroud is way better than the printed one. i had to replace my printed one every 1000 hours and running 3 printers that sucks. also sometimes when i did not apply the kapton tape correctly it would leek. it just gave me headaches and made the printers look ugly.

TFM couplers versus PTFE coupler : with the TFM coupler no worries about running out. i've been running one of those for 5000 hours, no joke, with all materials. i can destroy a PTFE coupler within 50 hours.. how do you find out the PTFE coupler is gone? by having your print fail. not fun.

spring : agree

glass clips : i never remove the bed so agree

heater : yes, the new heater is better but if you already have that one (thanks @swordriff!) then agreed.

improved PT100 : way more accurate and better print results, get it.

feeder : while I like the new geared feeder, i'm still in love with @Ultiarjans rail system with it's improved feeder..

• Replies 285
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Questions. .. it was mentioned flexible materials work on the 2+... what specific materials?

Also when will the 2+ be in stock at resellers? I'm looking at ordering, and I'm seeing "shipment at the end of jan" at one reseller.

I don't need it tomorrow, but also don't want to wait for 3 weeks if I don't have to.

Hi @Gareee,

In this story you'll see Faraday motion who had great success printing flexible materials. The set up remains the same, so flexible materials remain to be a challenge but it is possible. If you have no experience with 3D printing or Ultimaker yet I would recommend to start with PLA and once you are more familiar with the Ultimaker and the concept of 3D Printing move towards flexible materials.

Ninja flex or our own PLA flex is possible on an Ultimaker, but is not as straight forward as regular PLA.

The Ultimaker 2+ is already available right now, you may want to check with a few resellers to see who has it on stock. Where are you based?

• Like 1

Will just the new fan shroud be available as a replacement part to upgrade Um2Gos with?

I have to double check but I think it will.

It won't be specifically aimed for the Ultimaker 2 Go, but since they have a similar printhead it would fit.

• Like 1

Hi @Gareee,

In this story you'll see Faraday motion who had great success printing flexible materials. The set up remains the same, so flexible materials remain to be a challenge but it is possible. If you have no experience with 3D printing or Ultimaker yet I would recommend to start with PLA and once you are more familiar with the Ultimaker and the concept of 3D Printing move towards flexible materials.

Ninja flex or our own PLA flex is possible on an Ultimaker, but is not as straight forward as regular PLA.

The Ultimaker 2+ is already available right now, you may want to check with a few resellers to see who has it on stock.  Where are you based?

Thanks for the advise. I'm in no rush to print a flexible item, but wanted to make sure the possibility was there.

I'm in the US. My birthday is the 23rd, and my wife wanted to get this for my birthday.

• Like 1

So if you make TFM UMO/UMO+ Couplers:

- Happy users

- Users stop buying at china clones

- You show you keep giving love to the original machines

- Ultimaker makes revenue.

- Happy dance :)

Yes please!

@SandervG, maybe your next posts title could be "sharing some exciting news about the UMO and UMO+" ! ;)

• Like 5

2 Questions. .. it was mentioned flexible materials work on the 2+... what specific materials?

Also when will the 2+ be in stock at resellers? I'm looking at ordering, and I'm seeing "shipment at the end of jan" at one reseller.

I don't need it tomorrow, but also don't want to wait for 3 weeks if I don't have to.

I am getting mine today from Dynamism in USA. They have them in stock.

• Like 1

So if you make TFM UMO/UMO+ Couplers:

- Happy users

- Users stop buying at china clones

- You show you keep giving love to the original machines

- Ultimaker makes revenue.

- Happy dance :)

Yes please!

@SandervG, maybe your next posts title could be "sharing some exciting news about the UMO and UMO+" ! ;)

Yes!  Let's see some tweaks for the UMO please!

would be great!

or is it discontinued?

What is? Ultimaker Original?

No no. Still representing in our product pages! :)

Ultimaker 2+ I assume?

Congratulations, exciting day for you!

Make sure to share your experience with us, show us the unboxing! :)

Unboxing video would actually be funny...as I am a complete newbie in 3D world!!!! and have no idea what to expect when I open the box! Will see, but most likely I will post some photos.

There is an unboxing vid on youtube:

And from adafruit

You should put up a spoiler alert for @ppolla :p

• Like 1

Great! Thank God someone way more cooler than me created the unboxing videos!!!!

I am getting mine today from Dynamism in USA. They have them in stock.

Yeah they have the 2+ in stock, but no one is getting the 2+ extended till the 26th

I think I'm most excited about the PT100 and the Fan Shroud (rocking a printed one currently).

The Laberns shroud I have works great, for the most part, but in the short amount of time I'm had it installed it's already warping around the hot-end. So it would be nice to have one that will live through more than just PLA prints. Currently printed in XT-White.

Already have the Olsson Block, 35W Heater (not installed yet), Roberts Feeder (love it), and I never remove my glass bed (so meh on clips).

But depending on the price of the kit, I may purchase it so that I can use that second Olsson block, heater, etc, for a Dual Olsson Setup. Then I can have one for PLA and the other for XT.

@SandervG, I have a question about the 'new' PT100 sensor. What is actually new? Until now, the UM2 had a PT100 class B with two-wire circuit? Does the new sensor differ in any of those two specs? [...]

I'm still waiting for an answer. If someone else knows, please let me know. Thanks.

@SandervG, I have a question about the 'new' PT100 sensor. What is actually new? Until now, the UM2 had a PT100 class B with two-wire circuit? Does the new sensor differ in any of those two specs? [...]

I'm still waiting for an answer. If someone else knows, please let me know. Thanks.

Maybe this?

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/18879-sharing-some-exciting-news-the-ultimaker-2-?page=5&sort=#reply-129731

Nope, Robert's remark just tells something about the different cladding.