Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

I thought that actually sufficed and I didn't chase it down further.

My apologies!

I'll hunt it down for you, might be until next week before I have an answer for you :)

• Like 1

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have one at home, so I can't get you a picture earlier than next week.

But I did already see a picture on the forums, I think @IRobertI posted one?

.. do you want some ketchup with those fries?

Yeah, I posted a pic early on in the thread. Pressure adjustment is exactly the same as on the UM2, just use a hex-driver and adjust the screw on the top right of the feeder, next to the bowden.

Happy to see the upgrades with the 2+ but a bit disappointed as I just bought a UM2 for Christmas. No complaints, it's a great machine. I am however hoping there will be some sort of discount on the upgrade kit for such a recent purchase.

• Like 1

i believe the encasing and the wiring is new on the PT100. there is also a new source of the actual element so with all the changes the temperature variance should be way better.

in my experience, the old PT100 was sometimes off by as much as 10 degrees while the new one it almost always spot on.

Hi @Gareee,

In this story you'll see Faraday motion who had great success printing flexible materials. The set up remains the same, so flexible materials remain to be a challenge but it is possible. If you have no experience with 3D printing or Ultimaker yet I would recommend to start with PLA and once you are more familiar with the Ultimaker and the concept of 3D Printing move towards flexible materials.

Ninja flex or our own PLA flex is possible on an Ultimaker, but is not as straight forward as regular PLA.

The Ultimaker 2+ is already available right now, you may want to check with a few resellers to see who has it on stock.  Where are you based?

Id love to know if there's one in the US that has it in stock... So far they are all selling the 2... at the price of the 2+

Hi @Gareee,

In this story you'll see Faraday motion who had great success printing flexible materials. The set up remains the same, so flexible materials remain to be a challenge but it is possible. If you have no experience with 3D printing or Ultimaker yet I would recommend to start with PLA and once you are more familiar with the Ultimaker and the concept of 3D Printing move towards flexible materials.

Ninja flex or our own PLA flex is possible on an Ultimaker, but is not as straight forward as regular PLA.

The Ultimaker 2+ is already available right now, you may want to check with a few resellers to see who has it on stock.  Where are you based?

Id love to know if there's one in the US that has it in stock... So far they are all selling the 2... at the price of the 2+

You can find the 2+ in Stock at 3d universe (where I ordered tge 2+ extended) but for some reason the factory that assembles them didn't start doing the 2 extended + assembly until after getting a batch of 2+ out.

The earliest I found was 3d universe expecting to shop out 2+ extended printers on Jan 26th, but if you miss getting one of those first delivery ones, they told me odds are it would just be a few more days before more arrive.

I was also told this is an unusual situation for ultimaker, and I think it was just a timing thing between the holidays, and then the ces show and announcer a week later.

I'm pretty sure that 3d universe con firmed they had the 2+ in stock, but that went in one ear and out the other, since we want the extended. I figure $500 more is worth it for the piece of mind knowing I won't want a bigger printer for quite some time.

Hi @Gareee,

I got mine from dynamism

So let me make sure I completely understand...

Olsson Block  - Already got it (just not installed yet - Christmas present)

Improved Shroud - Have a similar printed model

Removal of spring - Have a similar printed model

TPM coupler - Have a small supply of TFT coupler from gr8

Improved glass clips - ehh

35W heater - Already got it (just not installed yet - Christmas present)

Improved PT100 - can buy as replacement part

Feeder - only available in upgrade kit

man, I really love what you guys decided to do. When I got my 2, there were a lot of parts I needed to print to make it work as good as I needed it to. Looks like it's all part of the 2+ . I'll be interested to see how well the feeder holds up as that seemed to be most of the issues with my PLA printing. Cheers, will upgrade soon ;)

So let me make sure I completely understand...

Olsson Block  - Already got it (just not installed yet - Christmas present)

Improved Shroud - Have a similar printed model

Removal of spring - Have a similar printed model

TPM coupler - Have a small supply of TFT coupler from gr8

Improved glass clips - ehh

35W heater - Already got it (just not installed yet - Christmas present)

Improved PT100 - can buy as replacement part

Feeder - only available in upgrade kit

man, I really love what you guys decided to do.  When I got my 2, there were a lot of parts I needed to print to make it work as good as I needed it to.  Looks like it's all part of the 2+ .  I'll be interested to see how well the feeder holds up as that seemed to be most of the issues with my PLA printing.  Cheers, will upgrade soon ;)

The new feeder is really nice. It allows you to manually decouple the tension so you can yank or feed the filament manually. (something I miss from the UMO days).

The other thing is it feels much more consistent and reliable. I think the print quality is up a wee bit probably because of more consistent extrusion rate, and it feels much more reliable to an already reliable machine. When doing those long 24hr overnight prints, I feel much more at ease with the +.

My UM2 occasionally does a layer or two of slight under extrusion when I have a lot of retractions going on, but the + seems to handle that a lot better.

It's also a little bit quieter, but this could be because I have an older UM2.

It's going to be interesting to see what UM will charge for that UM2->UM2+ upgrade kit. Maybe more than one kit would make sense? It makes e.g. a difference if a user already has an Olsson block or not (around 100 Euro with 4 nozzles).

@Valcrow: You can replace the fans with ones from Sunon or, if you are really sensitive to the sound level, with some from ebmpapst (I have a quite expensive ebmpapst 255N on my UM2 which is super-silent). How would you rate the noise from the new geared feeder then compared to the old UM2 feeder? I ask this because I recently installed a Bondtech geared feeder which added quite some noise to the machine.

The new feeder is probably a big improvement vs the old. One small disadvantage vs a printed one is that you have to keep pushing against the spring to open it. I many times push fillament with one hand and wiggle the bowden at the head a bit to get it in ( and feel from the resistance if things go ok) This seems to be more needed with the e3dv6... guess I would need 3 hands :)

You maybe able to print a clip that you put on the feeder to hold it in the open state.

can you share a picture of the feeder with the top cover taken of?  Thanks.

Not seen is the gear that the knurled wheel is connected to.

DSC_7066.thumb.jpg.93bc48d786d721fb231514d8c24bd847.jpg

Hi, iRoberti!

Just saw this photo in the thread, and immediately thought that the point: the previous version was hard to use with a flexible filament due to the gaps between the case feeder and the axis of the feed mechanism. It was solved by printing new design (for example, like this: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-feeder-sp3d-version). But in this embodiment, the gaps still remain!!! Do you tested the new feeder with the flex (with and without retraction), and what the results showed?

The gap looks bigger, but maybe the moving part has some 'guide'?

image.thumb.jpeg.efe4ff0609c6c9e71e51f3ed6e5ab797.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.efe4ff0609c6c9e71e51f3ed6e5ab797.jpeg

In the upper node of the outlet visible guide limiter ( which apparently rests on the pipe), but between him and the visible gap axis to the axis about 4 mm, in which, I think, jams may occur.

Just a question, is the Ultimaker 2+ head have holes for a home made second extruder ?

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

If you want to guide the filament perfectly, you have to use metal parts because the struts become so small. BQ Hephestos V2 feeder (taken from a video by Richard Horne)

hephestosV2-feeder.thumb.jpg.6af3e9f43ae62d9c1451666ba5af57d0.jpg

hephestosV2-feeder.thumb.jpg.6af3e9f43ae62d9c1451666ba5af57d0.jpg

Edited by Guest

Just a little comment regarding the feeder. I tested 12 printers yesterday, 6 UM2+s and 6UM2+Extended. The test print was consistently heavier than those from a regular UM2. Our test print for the "old" UM2 is usually around 3.3-3.6grams. The + machines were 3.5-3.9grams with no signs of underextrusion.

The prints felt slightly more sturdy as well (when you've handled a few hundred test cylinders you develop a feel for it ;) ). Hopefully that's an indication of something good, but remember that's just one simple test print. Time will tell : )

• Like 1

Just a question, is the Ultimaker 2+ head have holes for a home made second extruder ?

Nope, the holes in the head of the Ultimaker 2 are closed up.

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

@SandervG can you confirm the holes in the aluminium parts are still there and only the hole in the fan shroud is closed?

edit: and plastic parts?

Edited by Guest

The holes are there

5a331633cb4a1_Capturadepantalla2016-01-12alas13_07_53.thumb.png.8723dd4483ceae548770d4764a4f1e73.png

5a331633cb4a1_Capturadepantalla2016-01-12alas13_07_53.thumb.png.8723dd4483ceae548770d4764a4f1e73.png

also in the top plastic parts?

Plastic not, I believe it was mentioned earlier.