Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

Yeah, the plastic is closed off. Nothing a drill wouldn't fix in a few seconds though.

A bigger problem would be at the back as there are no longer any holes for mounting another feeder. That's been the case for the UM2 as well for quite some time though.

• Replies 285
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SandervG, I have a question about the 'new' PT100 sensor. What is actually new? Until now, the UM2 had a PT100 class B with two-wire circuit? Does the new sensor differ in any of those two specs? [...]

I'm still waiting for an answer. If someone else knows, please let me know. Thanks.

I have the answer! :D

The old PT100 had a copper wire and shielding surrounding the sensor. Both could potentially withdraw heat from the sensor. The shielding could also vary in tightness as how it was installed around the sensor. This could lead to an varying abnormality in the actual temperature reading (lower).

The new PT100, which is still Class B sensor, has a nickel wire and will result in a more accurate temperature reading.

We estimate that some users going from an Ultimaker 2, to an Ultimaker 2+ may need to set their temperature a little bit higher as they are used to, to make up for this difference.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

In theory the temp should be the same because the more powerful geared extruder no?

Maybe even lower?

Edited by Guest

Well.. hypothetical; if before you thought you were printing at 210ºC you could be printing at 220ºC and it allowed you to print at 60mm/s. If you now set it to 210ºC again, 60mm/s might be to fast for your heaterblock to keep up and you have to increase the temperature to 220ºC, which looks like it is hotter, but it is actually the same.

There are more parts in to play, like nozzle sizes, a stronger heater cartridge and a more powerful feeder.

But if you chew it down, and just look at the temperature displayed and want to achieve the same ratio, (maybe some users only want to upgrade the PT100 for their regular Ultimaker 2), they probably have to go a little bit higher.

So will older advise and recommendations be obsolete as a result? As a soon to be new ultimaker 2+ extended owner, I don't want to follow advise that will give me poor prints.

Can't wait for it to arrive. I hope the factory can get it to 3d universe faster than the 26th.

If you are looking at advice for recommend print profiles I would suggest to interpret them as a guideline instead of absolute truth.

For most filaments it varies a few degrees depending on what color you use or brand.

Usually, PLA is rather forgiving.

As there has never been a way to mount 2 spools, I think that's no new problem. ;)

I have the answer! :D

The old PT100 had a copper wire and shielding surrounding the sensor. Both could potentially withdraw heat from the sensor. The shielding could also vary in tightness as how it was installed around the sensor. This could lead to an varying abnormality in the actual temperature reading (lower).

The new PT100, which is still Class B sensor, has a nickel wire and will result in a more accurate temperature reading.

We estimate that some users going from an Ultimaker 2, to an Ultimaker 2+ may need to set their temperature a little bit higher as they are used to, to make up for this difference.

OK, first thanks for finding out!

A copper shielding and wiring can indeed cause a lower reading if it is so badly isolated from the ambient that it conducts part of the thermal energy into the two wires and/or radiates it to the ambient.

Well, at some point there should be a thermal balance again and the reading should be stable. One could adjust the characteristic in Marlin in order to compensate.

As there has never been a way to mount 2 spools, I think that's no new problem. ;)

Official, nope, but that is the best thing about having an awesome community behind these badass printers. You get things like the Rail System from UltiArjan.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker2-rail-system-u2rs

This would easily allow for you to have 2 spools, feeders, etc.

• Like 1

I tried to read this thread as carefully as possible however I just want to confirm one thing. Will this extrusion upgrade kit include Olsson block? I need one but am not in a hurry. So should I buy it from 3dsolex or wait for upgrade kit? Thanks.

I tried to read this thread as carefully as possible however I just want to confirm one thing. Will this extrusion upgrade kit include Olsson block? I need one but am not in a hurry. So should I buy it from 3dsolex or wait for upgrade kit? Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure, but the kit will inlude:

- New fan shroud

- Olsson block (with 4 diameters)

- New geared feeder motor

- New bed clips (???)

If I've missed something (or included something wrong) please correct me. Anyway, the upgrade kit should be available soon!

I think it will also include the new PT100 & 35W heater ?

Still think/hope UM will create a separate feeder-only kit for the people who already have the olsson block.

• Like 2

Still think/hope UM will create a separate feeder-only kit for the people who already have the olsson block.

I hope so too! Everybody who bought an UM2 in the last 2 or 3 months has an Olsson block already and many others have upgraded also. The block is one of the most popular upgrades for the UM2.

The price difference is going to be interesting... ;)

Is there any expected release date for the kit ?.

• Like 1

i hope they will make a few upgrade options for my case i only need the feeder and the fan thing. Already got the ollson block and 35 W Heater installed. And the Feeder alone must be a good Price

Well the price for the feeder upgrade it shouldn't go beyond 60-80€ I think. Mainly because for that price it's better to just invest on a planetary geared with much more force or just print one of the many geared feeders upgrades available online, and if you want strong gears you can just print on nylon or carbon (or both).

Aso I don't think that they will sell the geared upgrade alone until they release the github open source info.

i dont care about anything but the fan shroud. I just hope they bring it out before announcing the new printer as otherwise it wont be as good knowing that a new printer already prints better using a completely different system. Mind you this is purely from a psycological point of view, seeing as the parts are already in production, i cant imagine what the hold up is. im mostly happy with my um2 out of the box so unless its a reasonable price, i may not even get it.

if i get the dimensions then i suppose i could simply print my own and copperplate or nikel plate it i guess, that would prevent it from warping over time.

Edited by Guest

i dont care about anything but the fan shroud. I just hope they bring it out before announcing the new printer as otherwise it wont be as good knowing that a new printer already prints better using a completely different system. Mind you this is purely from a psycological point of view, seeing as the parts are already in production, i cant imagine what the hold up is. im mostly happy with my um2 out of the box so unless its a reasonable price, i may not even get it.

if i get the dimensions then i suppose i could simply print my own and copperplate or nikel plate it i guess, that would prevent it from warping over time.

Don't count on buying the new shroud separately in the beginning.

Check page 5 of this thread as @SandervG mentioned :

Some parts will be available as spare parts, like the PT100, heater cartridge and PTFE TFM coupler. But the entire extrusion upgrade pack won't be split up in feeder / printhead seperate packages.

Yes i already read that, i dont expect everything seperate, but including the ob would be very annoying since by now almost everyone has one, and it would add around 79euros. I have one and dont even use it so if it was in the upgrade kit, id have two just sitting in a box, as all the currently remaining um2s come with tem and have so for over 2 months. Eitherway, we'll see.

• Like 2

Well, we will release the files in a few months, so you could always print the fan shroud yourself.

Months? :/ why so long?

Due to the: we release the stuff after 6 months policy.

Makes sense that if they pay for the R & D they want a head start on the copycats to make some money out of it ...

Edited by Guest

6 months omg does that mean we need to wait 6 months for any upgrade kit??? and regards to piracy? surely a pirate would just get a um2+ now and then just clone it like they already did in china? after all its already in the wild? it cant be too complicated given enough photos with scale references i could probably knock one up in a few hours.... if any one would be so kind ;).

In the fashion world and many other fields people clone from photos/camcorders etc. to be the first. quality control is never really a consideration, the pirates don't genuinely care as long as it sells.

making genuine users wait for an upgrade to improve their experience that is already released seems odd to me.