Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

dont worry im not holding my breath, ill make do without, have done for over a year now. just curious why it was not released at the same time, but i know...package design, pricing....bureaucracy, spoiling things as usual.

i may try to make one up myself from available pictures (dont worry i wont post it if i do), but seeing as i haven't even installed the ob, i cant see myself doing that any time soon, so i may as well just wait....or just print laberns one and coat it to stop it warping.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

I also hope I don't end up with another Olson Block I already have 1 spare and I also have 35w heater ect. Only want the feeder and shroud,,

Question I read somewhere they are using new fans any idea where to get them.

also where do you find the files when they are released.

yep they sure do seem expensive, ill just stick with mine, its the motors that are noisy for me the fans dont really bother me. im printing laberns shroud now and then im gonna coat it, and thats me done with upgrades.

Hang on Just found the name of the fans from earlier in this thread, are these the correct Fans they seam incredibly expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084ZPKX0?colid=QUFZ1TCNP01A&coliid=I3EWAT8XMV4Z7X&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Thoughts ??

They changed the fans to Sunon ones. You can buy the rear fan from ebay through this link. It's only the rear fan that is so noisy and cheerping. :D

It really makes your UM2 much more silent, trust me :)

Edited by Guest

fair enough i cant seem to print laberns shroud for some mysterious reason....???

can you provide an ebay uk link, that one appears to be netherlands or france only?

i need to figure whats up with my cura now......

.....ok, the damn advanced settings.

Edited by Guest

I had a few minutes to torture the new feeder. It was already a little hard to find illuminarti's original test file but I didn't manage to look up the 8-15 mm3/s file at all. So I did a second print with speed set to 200%.

Ultimaker standard silver PLA, 210°C.

The result is quite impressive.

The funny thing: More or less at the same moment when underextrusion starts at 16 mm3/s the motion subsystem seems to get in trouble with processing the number of line segments per sec in this particular file. You can call this a well balanced system ;)

5a3316d421e74_UM2Feeder.thumb.jpg.b0617ade656e31d504b485acf7c10cec.jpg

5a3316d421e74_UM2Feeder.thumb.jpg.b0617ade656e31d504b485acf7c10cec.jpg

Indeed a nice result... also considering the advised temperature for this test was 230 c.

@foehnsturm: I guess you didn't test the feeder alone but a whole UM2+, right? You should not forget it also has a 35W heater which also helps to reach that high flow rate. I would even somehow expect it has now a bit the behavior of an UMO where one gets a thinner print at higher flow rate compared to the old behavior of the UM2 where extrusion began suddenly.

Means: Can you measure the wall thickness please?

@Dim3nsioneer: Correct, it's the entire new drivetrain.

Roughly measured, wall thickness is 0.5 mm up to 10mm3/s, 0.45 mm3/s up to 14 mm3/s and 0.4 mm at 16 mm3/s when underextrusion gets visible.

fair enough i cant seem to print laberns shroud for some mysterious reason....???

can you provide an ebay uk link, that one appears to be netherlands or france only?

i need to figure whats up with my cura now......        

.....ok, the damn advanced settings.

search for "Sunon MC25060V2-A99" :)

does it have to be those exact numbers? there seem to be quite a few different ones?

Indeed a nice result... also considering the advised temperature for this test was 230 c.

Don't forget the new PT100 might show a temperature which is significantly different from the one the old PT100 would have shown.

• Like 1

Hmm did anyone check how significant? Not even close to 20c I hope.....

Hmm did anyone check how significant?  Not even close to 20c I hope.....

i checked.. I ran 2 machines, one with the new PT100, one with the old one with a fluke temp sensor inside the nozzle.

the old PT100 had differences up to 10 degrees.

my test : printer at 250 degrees celsius with the old sensor : fluke reporting 258 degrees, printer at 260 degrees, fluke reporting 270 degrees. printer at 100 degrees, fluke reporting 106 degrees

with the new PT100 i also tested these 3 temperatures and they were spot on.

so perhaps i was just unlucky with a bad PT100 but they differences are very large...

• Like 2

Question I read somewhere they are using new fans any idea where to get them.

Not sure where this started. The fan shroud is new, the side fans are not.

The "third" fan in the back of the head is going back to being a Sunon like it was waaay back when the UM2 was new.

We used to replace the third fans on the printers we sold to get the noise level down. IIRC there were three main models of that particular fan and the difference, again IIRC, was the amount of air they pushed.

I have printed the same thing a few times, and found that a 10c difference didnt make much difference for me, 20 didnt either.

I can confirm this. After a plethora of print problems I checked my Pt-100 and found the resistance values to swing wildly from 109 Ohm till 166 Ohm. Hanging in still air, outside the the thermoblock, so room temperature......

That equates room temperature up to 188 deg C while doing exactly nothing!

I've replaced the Pt-100 today and everything works liek a charm again.

Am a bit p****** o** at ultimaker for using inferior Pt-100 though. Cable was too long and wrapped around the PCB. Very good installation practice.... NOT!

Anyway, if you have issues w material flow, delamination and under- or over-extrusion check your Pt-100!

I'm surprised to see such high temps when printing PLA. I mean, using ColorFab material I've always stayed within their 195-220C range.

Am a bit p****** o** at ultimaker for using inferior Pt-100 though. Cable was too long and wrapped around the PCB. Very good installation practice.... NOT!

They stock 2 PT100s and sounds like they might have use the UMO+ one which has ~62inch lead on it as opposed to the UM2 one which has a ~42inch lead. Maybe this is way they had to coil up the extra.

Other than the length I think they are electronically the same.

This might be stale news but I just noticed that you can get a "close out" UM2 for $500 off at dynamism. For that I might consider printing my own replacement feeder. :)

• Like 2

There are indeed a few good opportunities now for UM2 machines. Sometimes you just have to dig a bit to find them.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

So is there any news regarding the upgrade kit?

what price category will it be ? 100€? 300€? 500€?

I'm currently in the situation, that I have to order some spares/upgrades for my UM2 and dont want to buy twice as I really want the feeder upgrade. The biggest question is when will it be released, because if it comes out in a month I can wait but if it gets released at the last day of Q1 thats harder to do.

Also, do the PTFE´s from the UM2 fit into the new design of the UM2+?

• Like 1

Also, do the PTFE´s from the UM2 fit into the new design of the UM2+?

Yes, they are the same dimensions. (but since the UM2+ got a new TFM coupler that holds up much better, i do not know why you would want to use the "legacy" glass filled PTFE couplers for the UM2+)