If you had bought a UT2 last week, would you sent it back ?

Edel

Posted · If you had bought a UT2 last week, would you sent it back ?

Hi

here is the big question.... ;-)

If you had bought a UT2 last week, would you sent it back, because now the UT2+ as a Facelift is on market?

This is really the big question now for me....

with positiv and negativ sites....

UT2 works fine, ok warping is bad and i found yet no way to stop that....

UT2+ maybe work not fine or still better then the Ut2 ... thats the risk...

In case of problems, maybe here i did not get so much help?

Maybe UT+ has start problems, which were fix together, like it was with ut2...

other site, i see now the improvment of the new feeder and printerhead...

And i have the point Fancaps , which i dont unterstand, what this is...

the + version cost here only 100€ more...

so would would you do?

I would just talk to the supplier. It would be good to have the + model in the long run.

They will release an upgrade kit later so maybe the supplier could help you out with that when it comes.

By the way, the plus model is meant to be the same price. as advertised by Ultimaker.

Hi

I know those option with the upgrade kit, but so the plus model ist ready out of the box....

And no one knows if I get new problems about that ....

For me I feel angry, I asked so many people also the supplier about a new model.....

And I would not speak about this, if I got a big discount or anything.... But no way i paided the full price for a prefacelift model , this is no good way when the plus model cost only 100€ more...

In case we had the same problem now with a car and today a facelift model were here I am would also be very angry.....

Ok but I m only afraid now to do the wrong thing

Keep it, because it works fine, then I m angry about me that I don't change it

Or change it in a plus model and this work even not good, then I m angry that I changed

Or the ultrasupertuper way I change and th plus works greater then the old one and I m happy

I too bought an ultimaker2 last week and have mixed feelings about ultimaker now..

I should still be able to sent it back and get a refund, then get the + at the same price, or even a whole different printer as I feel "in het ootje genomen"

Those things happen all the time - and not only with consumer products...

Personally i would try to stay calm and keep it in perspective, look at the benefits...:

- let others struggle with the teething problems of the new model

- evaluate the upcoming reviews first

- later i can decide if i have a need for the upgrade kit or not...

In the meantime: make use of my "old" model, wait and see..., and don't fret...

(just my 2ct.)

Hi @Textronics @Edel,

Thank you for your message and welcome to the Ultimaker community.

First of all I am happy you have both decided to join the Ultimaker team.

We're sorry to hear you feel some level of frustration, I can imagine you're feeling upset when you just bought a new Ultimaker and within a few days / week there is a new machine.

After reading this thread I think we all strike some good points.

Looking forward, I think regardless of what you decide your next step is; you are never forced to 'feel stuck' with an 'outdated Ultimaker', because of the extrusion upgrade pack which will be launched later in Q1. That is already pretty fast!

Before deciding what your next step is, figure out what you want. Unfortunately, there is no one here who can do that for you besides yourself.

There are a lot of experienced Ultimaker 2 users here, who will be able to help you with any issues you run into and even solve your warping issue.

The Ultimaker 2+ is an upgrades machine, where you have the advantage to work with upgraded parts, but if you find yourself somewhere in the learning curve in need of help there will be less experienced people to offer insights. Obviously, we have done our best to reduce the learning curve and design the upgrades in a way you wouldn't need help, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. And, the community will always be full of smart people who are willing to offer their 2ct's, just like @tinkergnome.

If you decide to stay with your Ultimaker 2; its easy. You don't have to do anything except enjoy your Ultimaker, sit back and watch it print beautiful parts.

If you decide to make the move and prefer to have an Ultimaker 2+, I would suggest to get in touch with your reseller. Depending on when you bought your machine you may have the option to return it. Alternatively, after talking to your reseller you may come to a different mutually satisfying solution. That is something for the reseller to decide, but we are selective in our network of partners, and both Ultimaker and our partners should be dedicated in satisfying our customers and working towards solutions.

Good luck, and let us know what you are planning on doing!

The first step, joining the Ultimaker community, was already a good one! :)

Hi @Textronics @Edel,

We're sorry to hear you feel some level of frustration, I can imagine you're feeling upset when you just bought a new Ultimaker and within a few days / week there is a new machine.

Looking forward, I think regardless of what you decide your next step is; you are never forced to 'feel stuck' with an 'outdated Ultimaker', because of the extrusion upgrade pack which will be launched later in Q1. That is already pretty fast!

Before deciding what your next step is, figure out what you want. Unfortunately, there is no one here who can do that for you besides yourself.

There are a lot of experienced Ultimaker 2 users here, who will be able to help you with any issues you run into and even solve your warping issue.

The Ultimaker 2+ is an upgrades machine, where you have the advantage to work with upgraded parts, but if you find yourself somewhere in the learning curve in need of help there will be less experienced people to offer insights. Obviously, we have done our best to reduce the learning curve and design the upgrades in a way you wouldn't need help, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. And, the community will always be full of smart people who are willing to offer their 2ct's, just like @tinkergnome.

If you decide to stay with your Ultimaker 2; its easy. You don't have to do anything except enjoy your Ultimaker, sit back and watch it print beautiful parts.

If you decide to make the move and prefer to have an Ultimaker 2+, I would suggest to get in touch with your reseller. Depending on when you bought your machine you may have the option to return it. Alternatively, after talking to your reseller you may come to a different mutually satisfying solution. That is something for the reseller to decide, but we are selective in our network of partners, and both Ultimaker and our partners should be dedicated in satisfying our customers and working towards solutions.

Dear Sander, so you are a real employee of Ultimaker?

I would prefer if ultimaker helped me (us) and make us for example a deal of a free upgrade kit for the + option, in this very specific case now.

This i would see is a fair deal for both sites, so ulitmaker did not get a used printer back, which you cant sell as new...

I had still all the time a bad feeling about a facelift, is no new printer (i know), only same points were improved... and i also unterstand ulitmaker, that the sell of UT2 stagnate, if you announce a new modell.... but here you announce it and its still ready to pay and also in stock here in germany.....

this is because i m angry... i got no discount on my modell, i paied the full price and now a new one is here and better one for nealy the same price....

if this was only a announcment and ready for delivery in March 2016, this would be better, then the coustomer has a own choice, buy one (maybe with good discount)?, or wait for new one?...

But here in this point i feel very frustrated about this way, it is like a

hammered for my head, I have so much now spent on what old, where I can have something better for the same money....

so i would request a free update kit, this i cant clear the dealer , only you as ultimaker can find a solution. The dealer also is only a very small connection link and has high cost when i sent my UT2 back, this is also not fair for him...

Hi @Edel,

Yes I am. Everyone you'll see with a 'Team Ultimaker' in their profile is an official Ultimaker employee. But for example, we also have some people from our R&D team hanging out here, and in this case such an issue would be best handled by me (as community manager).

I wouldn't look upon your purchase as if you bought an old or outdated machine. The Ultimaker 2 has won many awards and is still a great machine. At the time of your purchase you had considered it good enough for your money, which accounts for something. I understand the release of an improved version is harsh, but I wouldn't discard your Ultimaker 2 completely. It is still a great machine which will offer you a lot of joy as a maker.

Anyway, towards your question.

Unfortunately, we can't offer you such a deal since you bought your Ultimaker with our partner. I can't change anything about this. This does not mean what you suggest as a solution is non negotiable.

But, as a gesture of goodwill I would be more than happy to help you and start the conversation. If you could send me a DM with your email I can use for correspondence, the name of the partner you bought your Ultimaker 2 and the date on which you bought it I am sure we can get the ball rolling.

Reading your post, I get the impression you have made up your mind about what you want, which is upgrading your current Ultimaker 2. That is good, it means we at least have a clear goal on what to work towards.

Looking forward receiving your DM and move further towards a solution. Thank you!

I understand the points made and I don't necessarily feel stuck with an outdated machine.

However when you say "The extrusion upgrade pack which will be launched later in Q1. That is already pretty fast! "

I read, "you can also wait several months and spent more money to get your brand new printer upgraded to the latest version we just released"

Returning the printer and buying the new one will get me all that, and probably better resale value too.

Besides I actually have the olsson installed and would benefit from the new fan shroud directly.

I know these things can happen with consumer products, and they don't put me off on buying, however I now am still in the position to legally return the machine at no expense (for another week). However it woud be a bitch move towards the supplier..

Hi @Textronics @Edel,

Aa a potential new ultimaker customer, I'm watching this situation closely.

I've several concerns...

First, you can no longer buy direct, so new customers are stuck buying from a reseller, adding another iteration to the equation if there is an issue like this.

Second, typically companies will work with customers in the past 30 days on upgrade issues like these... it's very unsettling to see "talk to your reseller" coming from company reps.

Instead, I'd MUCH rather see, "Don't worry about this, we will upgrade customers who have purchased in the past xxxx timeframe. Contact your reseller so we can get you on the upgrade list."

It looks right now like you are leaving customers who just purchased not inexpensive machines out in the cold, even though everyone knew updated versions were right around the corner.

IMHO, showing good customer support for these guys is a wise investment, and important pr for new potential customers like ne, considering a purchase after reading the ces announcement.

@textronics,

Thank you for your reply.

That is not how the comment was intended, but I understand your point.

If you are within the period of returning the machine and you prefer to have an Ultimaker 2+ I would recommend to do so.

If you prefer to keep your machine because it works great and you don't want to go through a hassle of shipping Ultimaker's back and forth there are also other solutions.

If you want to explore those options I would recommend to talk to your reseller and see if you can find a mutual solution in terms of the upgrade pack.

The path you pick is yours to choose, and there is no reason to be 'stuck' with an Ultimaker 2 if you don't want to.

I don't think you have to worry about the supplier. It's very thoughtful though. But I'm sure we'll strike appropriate arrangements with them as well so no one will be unnecessary disadvantaged.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Aa a potential new ultimaker customer, I'm watching this situation closely.

I've several concerns...

First, you can no longer

....-

showing good customer support for these guys is a wise investment, and important pr for new potential customers like ne, considering a purchase after reading the ces announcement.

Hi @Gareee,

I believe I also just sent you a reply on a different question you asked.

Welcome to the Ultimaker community! :)

It is a great place to start when you are a potential customer.

The Ultimaker community is a great valuable asset for both Ultimaker and its users.

Are there specific things you are looking for?

Maybe I'll be able to help you.

About your concerns, I don't see it as being stuck with a reseller. No more than you would be stuck with Ultimaker if you bought from us. We have a selective network of partners, and we should all share the dedication to satisfy our users. If for some reason this isn't met, you can ask anyone here on the forum; you can always count on Ultimaker. One way or the other, but we always take care of our users in a reasonable fashion.

First step is though, our network of partners. And they are all aimed to work together with you, and other users, to move towards a reasonable, and mutually satisfying outcome.

To give you an idea about what 'talk to the reseller' means. There was another Ultimaker user in a similar situation here. I didn't just ship him off to a certain website to go and find his way.

We spoke and he gave me his email address and I put him directly in touch with the head of customer support of that dedicated partner to work it out.

You see, even though our partners are the first in line to address, we do make sure you get there safe.

Hopefully this takes away some of your concerns, otherwise I would be happy to answer any further questions you might have.

Looking forward hearing from you!

Thanks, and yes I just replied to that other question. A freind got his ultimaker for christmas, and is looking into how to address the new update today. (He was unaware of the new announcement.)

I actually have the 2+ extended in the cart at two separate resellers, but am waiting to hear which one (s) has them now, and who is recommended by the community. Once I do, I'll order at one of them.

• Like 1

Great.

Must have been quite an amazing Christmas for your friend.

My initial reply would be to get in touch with our partner to come to a solution.

If he prefers we send an introduction and put him in touch with our partner over there that is no problem either.

You can update your account to have it say where you live, what your available tools are and your skills. Especially your location is relevant deciding which of our partners would be a good fit for you.

He bought his direct, not from a reseller, and I'll update my profile now.

In that case I am sure all will be fine.

If you need any further help, just let me know!

Will do, and thanks for the reassuring replies.

It looks like none if the us resellers will have them till the end of the month, so I guess I'll just spend the month doing more researching.

Someone said the direct store was still working, but I can't pull it up on mobile...I only get the reseller list.

About the direct store, that was probably old info.

Ah well. I've lived without a 3d printer till now. Another month won't kill me.

Posted (edited) · If you had bought a UT2 last week, would you sent it back ?

I bought a Ultimaker 2 for Christmas and opened the box on 24th Dec. As others I paid full price and purchased from Adafruit. Now I see that just 11 days later my machine is out of date and the next generation is offered at the same purchase price. I just checked the Adafruit reseller return policy and they *** do not accept *** open box returns. So as I see it my machine has now instantly devalued and there is no recourse. This isn't a very satisfying situation to treat customers this way, particularly when they are buying a premium product at an already elevated price. In fact, this isn't OK at all and I am pretty irritated and discouraged. This is no way to engender customer loyalty. As of now I would not recommend Ultimaker to someone else based on this sharp practice. At the very least Ultimaker should offer a free or highly discounted upgrade kit to buyers who purchased within a limited time window. It's not as if Ultimaker provided any forward looking guidance or heavily discounted the existing Ultimaker 2 model. I feel as though this is an unacceptable way to dump the existing models in the run up to the holidays and leave customers burnt a few days later. It is not as if this is a low price, low margin product.

Edited by Guest

I just noticed the €500,- upgrade set and realise I should really have stepped up and returned the machine in the lawfull 2 week period on european e-sales.

Especially since the "old" um2 extruder and fan shroud are fairly shitty, ah well learned my lesson.. What did you do @Edel?

I have a um2 and three weeks later the um2+ came out. i dont care im happy, ive learnt how to deal with it, so its no worse than the um2 + in my opinion. if im getting perfect prints, the plus will give me no better. ill get one only when my prints start suffering. its mainly for people who have issues with the feeder and fan. and i dont.

Posted (edited) · If you had bought a UT2 last week, would you sent it back ?

its mainly for people who have issues with the feeder and fan. and i dont.

They should have named the thing Grinder, there's lots of issues with it; and I actually was just reading your finishing pla topic dude....

Posted Feb 18, 2015 - 1:57 PM

Damn it! that frickin' feeder's gotta go, its such a piece of @!&% just grinding the filament away like a greedy ittle piggy. i thought it was ok, but after the filament cools, its grind mania again. the next thing i print will be a new feeder assembly. Thats the worst thing about this printer.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/10412-acetone-finishing-on-pla#reply-95974

edit:

p.s. just finished the topic and have to add: You make some amazing prints Sir!

Edited by Guest