Ultimaker Original "mostly dead" after installation of Dual Extrusion Kit

Quiss42

Posted · Ultimaker Original "mostly dead" after installation of Dual Extrusion Kit

The Ultimaker is an Ultimaker Original with Heated Bed Upgrade Kit. I bought it used in this configuration and planned to add a Dual Extrusion Kit.

After installing the kit, I turned on the Ultimaker to see whether it was working. It went dark immediately. After turning it off and on again, the same occured. I then checked all wiring and everything was according to the instructions. When switching it on again the Ultimaker didn't go dark, but the new stepper motor (the one of the second material feeder) started erratically rotating back and forth for a small amount, resulting in a grinding noise. The control panel on the front remained blank, though lightened.

I then disconnected all newly added devices from their plugs and connectors and removed the the new stepper control chip, to get back to the state before adding the kit, but the machine stayed broken. The cooling fans start rotating when it is switched on, but the display remains blank (but lightened).

Any ideas what went wrong and how I can fix it would be very appreciated - thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Ingo.

Posted · Ultimaker Original "mostly dead" after installation of Dual Extrusion Kit

What country are you in Quiss? Please update your profile as this ... well.. it matters more than you may think!

My first thought is you probably didn't update your firmware which is critical.

Second thought is that none of the servos should have power when you first power on. Maybe that is fixed when you update the firmware.

There is a tiny 3 legged part that converts 19V of the power supply to 12V to power the arduino (which then lowers it to 5V). I'm thinking that 3 legged part may have broken because you may have run it too hot when experimenting - it needs constant fan - if you power up even for only 30 seconds without cooling that part you can destroy it. Fortunately it is pretty cheap - I can tell you more if you live in USA.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Original "mostly dead" after installation of Dual Extrusion Kit

What country are you in Quiss?  Please update your profile as this ... well.. it matters more than you may think!

Oh, right. Did an update to my profile, but missed this. I'm from Germany.

My first thought is you probably didn't update your firmware which is critical.

Second thought is that none of the servos should have power when you first power on.  Maybe that is fixed when you update the firmware.

I did an update of the firmware when I got the printer (about 6 months ago), so this firmware should be capable of handling the Dual Extrusion, or am I wrong here? In addition, removing all the new parts should have brought back the printer to life if it was only the firmware not being capable of handling them.

There is a tiny 3 legged part that converts 19V of the power supply to 12V to power the arduino (which then lowers it to 5V).  I'm thinking that 3 legged part may have broken because you may have run it too hot when experimenting - it needs constant fan - if you power up even for only 30 seconds without cooling that part you can destroy it.  Fortunately it is pretty cheap - I can tell you more if you live in USA.

This means the power supply (voltage regulator) for the Arduino is broken? Where on the shield is it located? My guess (from looking at the image of the board) would be "IC1", but I will open the machine again to check the text on the part and get its inscription.  ;)

Edited by Guest

Ok, short update. I followed the instructions in the support section and disassembled the control board. Found that the Arduino is working and can be acessed by Cura when connected to my computer via USB, but the shield seems to be broken. When I attach it to the Arduino and connect this combination to my computer, nothing happens.

Where can I get a replacement shield and how can I test what killed the old one?

Yes, IC1. It converts 19V to 12V. It is the most likely part that broke. You can power up the board without the arduino and measure the voltage on the 3 pins. The center pin is ground. The other pins are 19V from the power brick and 12V.

Also if you short out the power brick it shuts down and won't come back on unless you power it down for a little while and then plug it back in.

Ultimaker sells replacement parts. Or search on ebay for "1.5.7 ultimaker". Or other places to shop. Most of these are from China and not very good quality so consider buying 2 if you go that route. This IC1 is a 7812 which gets very hot. There is another version which is a switching regulator that also costs less than 1€ but doesn't get hot. Some people have used that part for their Ultimakers and it seems to work fine.