UM2+ feeder upgrade for UM2?

Posted · UM2+ feeder upgrade for UM2?

Hi Gregwar,

The feeder will be available for our Ultimaker 2 users in the form of an extrusion upgrade pack that will become available during Q1 in 2016.

This upgrade pack also contains the entire new and improved printhead so you have all of the advantages!

Nice to know about the upgrade kit!

I've already done the Olsson block / 35W Heater and new temp sensor, then printed an alternate feeder/fan duct, but having the official upgrade kit would be definitely something I'd like to fit!

How much will the upgrade kit sell for (MSRP)? Thanks

Any news here?

I'd also like to upgrade to the new Fan Mount and Feeder - but as I just upgraded the Olsson (very nice btw!) i would not buy a whole pack, including the block. So spares would be nice...

2nd half of Q1, whens this gonna drop?

i desperately need this, the current extruder is unreliable and is causing many failed prints.

im gonna need the entire upgrade, olsson block, extruder, hot end, quieter fans (loudest thing on the printer).

an eta would be nice.

This is the first I have seen of it but it says out of stock.

Even if you have already installed the Olsson Block, it is still a valuable upgrade!

Just the physical block you'll have twice, the extra set of nozzles comes in handy as spares or for ABS instead of PLA for example.

Hey there,

in my case, the current feeder of the old Ultimaker 2 is giving me the most trouble with some filaments that are a bit stiffer than the officially endorsed Ultimaker Filaments by Innofil.

So, my question is, would it be possible to just sell the upgraded feeder mechanism?

I think that in combination with the Olsson block would make the most sense for me as of now. I have quite a few projects in the pipeline and would really love to recommend the Ultimaker 2 through my Youtube Videos, but at the moment Im just a bit frustrated because I cannot print half of the time due to the feeder either not feeding enough or just grinding into the different materials.

Best regards

Have you tried loosening the 4 screws that hold your feeder on? A quarter turn looser can make a huge difference to the smoothness of the feeding with the standard UM2 feeder.

The 2+ feeder isn't available on it's own at this point. You might also have to do something with the firmware I think, if you had the 2+ feeder on it's own. Temperature is managed differently with the new heater and temp sensor in the 2+ firmware, but the 2+ firmware also spins the feeder in the opposite direction than the UM2 firmware, due to the geared feeder.

Hey there,

in my case, the current feeder of the old Ultimaker 2 is giving me the most trouble with some filaments that are a bit stiffer than the officially endorsed Ultimaker Filaments by Innofil.

So, my question is, would it be possible to just sell the upgraded feeder mechanism?

I think that in combination with the Olsson block would make the most sense for me as of now. I have quite a few projects in the pipeline and would really love to recommend the Ultimaker 2 through my Youtube Videos, but at the moment Im just a bit frustrated because I cannot print half of the time due to the feeder either not feeding enough or just grinding into the different materials.

Best regards

I figured something like that already. Would be amazing if there was a firmware release that would just take the upgraded feeder into consideration for the UM2.

Yes, I have loosened those screws a tad bit already, but depending on the filament it still grinds down sometimes. I think it may also have something to do with the flow through the nozzle though as you can sometimes hear a lot of retraction going on.

Maybe, I will just start with the Olsson Block as a first upgrade since I mainly do large prints at the moment and I think that 0.6 - 0.8mm nozzle would really help.

The Olsson block might be worth doing--if you did eventually go for the the full upgrade kit, then you still have those nozzles and that block as a spare. Or maybe at some point, Ultimaker will release just the new feeder by itself. I imagine if Ultimaker does the feeder by itself, there will be firmware to go with it. One thing to watch out for with the Olsson block if you put it on your printer with the standard fan shroud--it's a really tight fit between the nozzle and fan shroud, so make sure it isn't touching (or you could widen the hole in your fan shroud a little to compensate). The UM2+ fan shroud doesn't have the back metal flap that appeared part way through the UM2's over the last couple years, and has a wider hole to accommodate the Olsson block nozzle instead of the standard integrated nozzle.

if your um2 is still in stock condition, the full upgrade is no option? i think that would be a good idea. with the ollson block you want the better heater and the new temperature sensor too and maybe the new ptfe coupler. depending on what they will charge for the feeder the upgrade might be not so much more to pay, you can have it now and installation is way easier.

Hello all, I just bought and installed the feeder-only upgrade for my UM2. So it is not an UM2 yet. But do I need to install the 2+ firmware as the feeder turns the wrong direction? Or will I get in trouble with the old-fashioned fans?

Thank you,

Lies Muller

Hi Lies,

Absolutely you'll need to upgrade the firmware to make the motor change direction - as well.

Thanks

Torgeir.

Hello all, I just bought and installed the feeder-only upgrade for my UM2.

Where did you find it?

I tryed to buy Bondtech feeder with 3dsolex block, nozzles, PTFE couper, 40W heater, temp sensor and bowden tube but Carl stopped to ship stuffs to Brazil recently. I'm having a bad time to upgrade and got my spare parts to keep my UM2 working properly.

The official Ultimaker reseller in my country is offering this UM2+ upgrade for 1.348,77 dolars (R$ 4.397,00 Reais). For reference bowden tube is 91,72 dolars. At black friday they offer a 5% discount that doesn't help to much. It's not viable. I can buy a Prusa mk3 and lot's of filaments with this amound of money. Maybe a solution should be sell my UM2 and trip to USA or Europe to buy an UM2+ but someone will have the same problems as I and it's not fair. At least I can bring the spare parts to the new owner :/

I can ship those things to Brazil if 3dsolex won't. I am out of bondtech temporarily but I do have the meduza upgrade which I think is just as good as the "plus" feeder and MUCH cheaper. Go here and choose what you want but then take a screen shot and email the address on the home page for a shipping quote - please order by Thursday morning as the woman doing shipments for me is out for a week starting Thursday afternoon.

thegr5store.com

• Like 1

I can ship those things to Brazil if 3dsolex won't.  

That's a good new! I will seach more about meduza upgrade, thanks for that!