ultimaker2 slandered! Strayasys via DA Magazine

peetersm

Posted (edited) · ultimaker2 slandered! Strayasys via DA Magazine

My reasons why I bought 3d Printer is: I'm coming from model making hobby. I studied micro electronics. There we produced cases or boxes for our developments. We used wood, metal sheets and plexiglas. Course to learn casing was really interesting it started with key designing, yes a key what should open a real lock. We got only caliper and file and drill machine and drawing sheet with piece of metal. We all (36 Students) finished our keys in two weeks (at the beginning we all tought it would end in disaster) with our team work.

Yes now I can use my 3d Printer to print one gear for clock mechanic in 4 hours. Before I needed some days for each wooden gear. A pendulum clock Needs 11-17 gears then creating a Frame takes two three days. You can calculate yourself how many days it would take. And working with wood has been never easy like printing in 3d.

Edited by Guest

Posted · ultimaker2 slandered! Strayasys via DA Magazine

They should show the price differences, too.

And someone pointed out their Makerbot acquisition...I still find that hilarious today. The Open Source 'pioneer' sold out to closed source. Biggest. Dolt. Ever.

Its not high res enough. At .1anything, im pretty sure where it is better in one aspect like overhangs i could do better in detail, an that is more important to me. The minimum wall thickness thing is interesting for crap free models off the net though, but useless from an engineering pov, lol. Untill a printer that can cheaply do smooth models comes along, i find the um2 very satisfactory.

The rumour is that they are in the process of killing off makerbot because it has eaten into their mojo sales - where they make money from servicing.

You can't compare the 2 - mojo lays down a raft on each print, on each singe use print tray (so no bed levelling - they just slather it with a removable raft) - it has a closed chamber, which is good for warping etc and a crazy small nozzle size, support material and layer height.

People I know who have one suffer heavily from the rental and material cost and never use them to do their own prototyping, but only for orders. They do say that the quality is crazy good compared to their other fdm, but then this is a commercial fdm and they do not say that the quality is worth the difference in price - so mojo is being eaten by the desktop fdm and just fighting back.

It is like comparing an x-carve cnc to a commercial one - i.e. apples and oranges, and UM should be proud that they are scared and having to compare their machine to a UM, no matter how badly set up!

Everyone can produce a crappy print - to produce a good print every time takes skill, and that is what everyone is chasing. Mojo comes close because of the closed system, but boy do you pay for it, whereas I can get (what I think) is an amazing print from a UMO which is a rickety wooden frame and has things like cheap glass plates clipped on with whatever filament I throw at it ....... but I have also seen crappy prints from the same machine.!

• Like 2

its all about quality vs costs for me, and experience had taught me that the um2 needs barely any maintenance and worked great pretty much non stop day and night for over a year. with no extra purchases minus the filament, thats pretty much the reason i got one, i knew that if i kept it clean and didnt hit it too often it would work for a year and deliver. From the above, any thoughts on the mojo are dashed by the talk of costs. i print any old rubbish on my um2 just to keep it busy.

he is involved in glowforge (alongside ex CEO Jenny Lawton) I believe! which is the main reason that I did not purchase .... will wait to see how it develops and then what the 'me too' versions come up with as the closed source operation is a bit too close to what killed takerbot!

I did enjoy that "Print the Legend" documentary that had him and others in it. He completely turned me off from ever purchasing anything related to him :)

• Like 1