Extruder 1 port on UMO+ board makes motor just shake

jambalyle

Posted · Extruder 1 port on UMO+ board makes motor just shake

Yes you need to plug the motor to ex2 for that firmware to work, and yes, usa cura to upload the hex file. Hopefully that will explain if one think it's broken or if it's a simple cable doing bad connection.

Super! I'll let you all know how it works out.

I changed on pins.h

#define E0_STEP_PIN         49

#define E0_DIR_PIN          47

#define E0_ENABLE_PIN       48

#define E1_STEP_PIN         42

#define E1_DIR_PIN          43

#define E1_ENABLE_PIN       37

Here it is. I think it's all set for umo+ board 1 extruder (switched)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys1j2i7l8lgffrj/Marlin.cpp.hex?dl=0

Awesome!

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it! I'll give it a shot in a little bit. I'm assuming I'll just use Cura to upload custom firmware and select the .hex file you sent over yeah?

Obviously I'll also switch the motor over to bay for ex-2 and see if it works any better.

Thanks again!

Side note, how did you make / edit the hex file? I'm assuming there's a way to make it a bit more human readable yeah?

Awesome! thanks for the resources.

I just used the firmware you made and it let me use the second extruder bay, but the motor still didn't work. So I'm calling it a bad motor. The parts are still under warranty to Fabrc8 is already sending me a replacement. When I get it and install it I'll give you all an update.

Cheers again and thanks to everyone who helped!

• Like 1

This symptom you show in the video is EXACTLY what I would expect if one of the 4 wires were bad. It means very very little power getting to the motor.

The motor has 2 loops - 2 pairs of wires. One loop goes to the fixed coils and the other pair of wires goes to the loop that spins with the shaft. When one of the loops has no power there is still some left-over magnetism - enough for the motor to shake a bit but the motor will be very weak. If you help the motor a bit it can turn. Higher stepping speeds will have a little more power (more energy per second).

Ohm out the 2 pairs. Each pair is twisted together. If you have infinite resistance on one pair but non-infinite (e.g. maybe 100 ohms? not sure) on the other pair - the infinite ohms wires are bad - the wire is most likely broken at the connector end or the motor end but possibly part way along the cable.

So the new motor came in and everything is working now! Just finished a successful print and have plans to do some more later today.

Thank you all for your help!

@gr5 I should have some time tonight with at our local maker meetup and I'll try to ohm the motor out and see if I can't find out what exactly is going wrong. If I can I'll see about fixing it if possible.

Thanks again!

Happy Printing

If you look at the cable it's 2 twisted pairs (total of 4 wires).

If you measure the resistance of each pair it should show some resistance value (not sure what but not infinite). I predict one pair will be perfect and the other pair bad. I predict if you tug on the wire slightly you will see it's loose. This is the kind of thing you can fix with a few tools in a few minutes.

Then you'll have a spare stepper. Not that you need it - these things are tough as hell and probably last for centuries (don't know for sure!).