Ultimaker 2+ Extended first impressions are awesome

frederiekpascal

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ Extended first impressions are awesome

hello all,

I'm one of the lucky people who received his UM2+ extended already. I live in Belgium that's why I got it already.

My first impression of the machine was "wow, if this machine could stay as silent as now for a while = awesome". There really is a huge difference of noise with the new fan shroud. I would say, the rear fan is 80% more silent. I like!

What surprised me a bit was the tools that were included in the nozzle box :

pWanIjV.jpg

I looked in the box and couldn't find this useful tool to switch nozzles :

6jlVtSs.jpg

You gotta use this thing...

bkyLPS7.jpg

Imo, people will break their Olsson block because they don't know how much force they have to use when they screw their new nozzle on. Especially when it's a used nozzle with filament residues sticking to the thread of the nozzle.

Yep that's a very small detail cause you can buy that metal tool thing for a euro in almost every handy-shop.

For the rest only positive feedback about my new precious. I love it!

Pre-installed Olsson block, new feeder, new fan shroud are all awesome improvements for an already great 3D printer.

first small test print :

4qAwcyi.jpg

I'm very happy with my new beast! :D

3CEf1T4.jpg

I'll keep you posted!

Just a small note re the back fan. The reduction in noise isn't because of the shroud, it's because they're switching over to Sunon fans. I can't promise that all plus-machines will have the Sunon fan but at least the 12 I've checked had it.

Give us more impressions! :p

Some background information about the switch of tools; the socket usually resulted in not sufficient tightened nozzles. Or people used a wrench anyway. The wrench is a bit stronger, which at least ensures secured nozzles.

First, I am envious you have a new printer! Congratulations!

Second, it's nice to hear some feedback on this new and improved printer.

I am glad you posted the default-settings robot and your better print. Just shows how nicely these printers print when dialed in right!

• Like 1

Just a small note re the back fan. The reduction in noise isn't because of the shroud, it's because they're switching over to Sunon fans. I can't promise that all plus-machines will have the Sunon fan but at least the 12 I've checked had it.

Confirmed, my rear fan is a Sunon too.

First, I am envious you have a new printer!  Congratulations!

Second, it's nice to hear some feedback on this new and improved printer.

I am glad you posted the default-settings robot and your better print.  Just shows how nicely these printers print when dialed in right!

So true, I switched back to S3D and adjusted some more settings and tried @UltiArjan 's calibration print and it came out quite amazing. Check out the pictures, don't mind the leaning side because I pulled it of while it was still hot. (too excited etc ;))

EHj1RIh.jpg

wSQzJa7.jpg

7hqFy7z.jpg

QjqRmYP.jpg

Imo a major major improvement to my previous UM2. Good job Ultimaker with making your 3D printer even better!

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ Extended first impressions are awesome

Settings were 0.1 layer height, 200 mm/s travel speed, 35mm/s retraction, 30 mm/s print speed, 195C° hot-end temp, Ultimaker Silver PLA (definitely a new batch of their PLA! :)), fan speed from 0% (layer 1) slowly up to 100% at layer 95.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

That is quite an impressive test print, if I may say so myself :D

You.. and I in a way, should be proud! :p (just gonna steal some of the credits teehee!)

• Like 1

certainly impressive !!

by-the-way the Idea of the test piece is to set 5 different temperatures ... but you'r free to use it as you like of-course :)

edit: thinking of the new PT100 it would be nice to also use it with the 5 temp steps, keep an eye of the temperature on the display to see if you see any improvement in how fast the temperature gets stable again after the 5 degree change ....

Edited by Guest

Give us more impressions! :p

the socket usually resulted in not sufficient tightened nozzles.

As I did the initial torque tests on this thing, with various materials (and never had an issue myself, except for one time when I forgot to tighten the nozzle while hot) I'm curious what Ultimaker thinks is the recommended torque.

Don't print the wrench in soft materials like XT, but use PLA.

I only use the wrench version with the metal extender between the wrench and the socket.

I think over-tightening is potentially a bigger issue, I've broken a E3D nozzle once, and (at least thats what i think...) I did not use to much force...

The overhang test gave me very nice results. It's a shame I didn't keep the print of the overhang test with my previous UM2. Because that would make a nice comparison...

I do remember I started to have problems with the 45° and now with the + even the 55° still looks nice imo.

xyUZ8jp.jpg

yqpMy7U.jpg

3cjUVDi.jpg

UFMlgOq.jpg

I'm quite impressed with this machine, the UM2+ is an even more plug&play device :D

Now a more complex object (of 15 hours) is printing with my super-tweaked S3D profile (thnx again @Neotko ! ;)).

Keep you posted about the dragon print. :)

• Like 2

can you please share these two test print files? i would love to test my 2+ also.

lastly, you mentioned you changed some settings....to make an even better print? what did you change?

please share, thanks

Thank you....

So what is gcode?

Do I need to run the test print a few times or will it adjust temperatures within one print?

Thank you....

So what is gcode?

Do I need to run the test print a few times or will it adjust temperatures within one print?

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/quick-temperature-fillament-test

There is an STL but also gcodes to download directly.

Thank you....

So what is gcode?

Newbie question....what is the difference from gcode and stl?

Thank you....

So what is gcode?

STL is your 3D object (it's the extension of the file also) and Gcode is the output from your slicer. (Cura, S3D, ...)

Gcode contains the information for your printer, what temperature to use, speed, coordinates for you axes, ... (you can open a .gcode file with a texteditor to take a closer look at the file)

Other obje

Thank you....

So what is gcode?

STL is your 3D object (it's the extension of the file also) and Gcode is the output from your slicer. (Cura, S3D, ...)

Gcode contains the information for your printer, what temperature to use, speed, coordinates for you axes, ... (you can open a .gcode file with a texteditor to take a closer look at the file)

Other obje

thanks! so far I dont think I ever downloaded the gcode but only stl to the sd card....but I also dont think Cura created a gcode for me so far..

Confirmed, the plus edition of the UM2 is awesome.

This is a print of 15 hours with zero post processing. Amazing results, you have to take a very very close look to see the layers of this print.

Back to Simplify3D (it just gives me more options to tweak compared to Cura) and printed 0.1 layer height, 45mm/s retraction speed, 40 mm/s print speed, 250 mm/s travel speed, 1.2 mm shell thickness, 5% infill, 205°C extruder, 65°C print bed

BpDe6RY.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

You put a stl into cura. When you select save to SD, Cura will save a gcode file to the SD Card. If you look on the SD card it will be full of gcode files not STL's

So of you download a gcode you just put it directly onto the ad card. You just need to make sure you have the correct gcode file for your printer.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing these! I'm so jealous..we ordered our 2+ extended on the 7th, but they won't have them yet in the us till the 26th. (Hope we get those new fans, since we have a long delay.)

Can you post a side view of the dragon?

I'm completely new at this, so we'll probably duplicate your settings hoping to get good resolute like this.

A friend pointed out the robot print left ear issue. I'm surprised with the new upgrade they didn't correct this.

Edited by Guest