Please help with this print

ppolla

Posted (edited) · Please help with this print

OK...I am new....but have successfully printed a few smaller things. This is definitely the largest print I have tried so far.

A friend asked me to print this phone holder for his child's robotics class....

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1141100/#comments

In Cura I enrage it by 25.4 to get the right sizes.

200C, 0.4 nozzle...everything else standard

And then I get these type of results...no matter if I have applied glue to the bed or not...actually I got further without the glue...

Any idea what is going wrong? Looks like the top part is causing problems!

Please help.

Thanks!

IMG_1284.thumb.JPG.98f0b64817218461df77c4d140bcaea5.JPG

IMG_1281.thumb.JPG.98b72fab935c1f8457cdb15c6e3b7eee.JPG

IMG_1284.thumb.JPG.98f0b64817218461df77c4d140bcaea5.JPG

IMG_1281.thumb.JPG.98b72fab935c1f8457cdb15c6e3b7eee.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Please help with this print

I was thinking about the speed also....any suggestions?

The issue is that it starts with the bottom part no issues, then it take a turn on the long side and that one is not straight, thats where it starts going wrong and from there the top spahes go wrong also.

I did level the bed to what i thought was good.

Will try again tonight.

Please suggest speed for initial print.

its always important to get a good first layer down I often choose 30-35mm/s depends on many other factors though

thanks.

apart from slower printing is there anything that should prevent me from printing whole model at 30mm/s?

Also, you do that through tune setting right?

I would also look into the speed of your first layer.

It looks to be levelled correctly since the brim (the part that is being deployed) looks good to me.

The print should continue in the same pace but for some reason it doesn't.

It could be that the speed increases after the brim. (a brim creates more adhesion.)

Could you upload a screenshot from the orientation in Cura?

You probably want to change the first layer speed in Cura, I believe it is under 'advanced'.

Which version of Cura are you using?

Usually there is a balance between speed and quality you make.

If you print slower you usually get better results, but there is a certain speed (depending on the complexity of your model and the size) where if you go any slower it doesn't matter anymore. And generally people are looking for that sweet spot where you print fast enough with the best result.

I am using the latest non beta version of Cura, 12.4.4 I believe...

Will try some more stuff when I get back home.

I am hesitant to let the print run over night....or is this OK and not dangerous?

Not dangerous at all.

With some complex things printing over 20 hours it is designed to run long prints, automatically overnight.

Ok, I can relate to Cura 15.4.4.

Looking forward seeing that screenshot :)

Not dangerous at all.

With some complex things printing over 20 hours it is designed to run long prints, automatically overnight.

Ok, I can relate to Cura 15.4.4.

Looking forward seeing that screenshot :)

OK...so I changed the layout and swapped the sides...that worked much better.

Print speed was set to 30mm/s.

Looks like there are some serious design issues as after the outline the print started to fail 2-3 times again today...so I gave up!

Just hope its not the printer mistake!

Could be a design issue..

Care to share some pictures of the failed print?

If you change the default view in Cura to Layer (top right corner) you can use this as a method to determine whether or not the print looks OK or not.