Another Ultimaker² e3d V6 Mod

Posted (edited) · Another Ultimaker² e3d V6 Mod

Hello,

after issues with extrusion especially with PLA, I decided to overhaul our Ultimaker². Since I gathered a lot of information on this forum, more or less spread, I decided to sum it up in one post.

Used a modified Version of the e3d Mount, changed it to take the bowden, as I'd ordered the direct drive version by mistake.

Hotend uses the PT100 heatblock, just used an extra 12V Wallwart for the fan (ultimaker board offers 5V for this, more elegant would be a 30mm 5V fan).

As the Extruder Stepper was loosing steps a lot, I used this as an inspiration, replacing the belt with gears, resulting in a 1 : 2.625 ratio

edit: didn't read to the end of thread where a version with gears is already posted.

Modified the firmware, as described elsewhere:

downloaded from github ultimaker2marlin

used Arduino  1.0.3

modified arduino-1.0.3/libraries/Wire/utility/twi.c , /* commented out */ everything after SIGNAL(TWI_vect) close to the bottom and was able to compile

Firmware Modifications:

HEATER_0_MAXTEMP to 350, e3d + PT100 should easily cope with that

Kp: Ki: Kd:  changed according to what a M303 S210 C10 command gave me (tune to 210° by heating up 10 times)

INVERT_E0_DIR to true, as the gears change direction

X_MAX_POS and Y_MAX_Pos minus 15, so the mount doesn't crash into case

DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT to 282 * 2.625 (740.25) to make up for the gear (8:21 teeth)

First test Print went ok, looks rough, but printed at 60mm/s without a fan. no filament slipping or loosing steps, which would have been unthinkable before.

Only thing that didn't work out is the steps per mm for the extruder, hat to set flow to 263% to compensate for the gears, if anyone has a tip on that?

edit: steps per mm apparently stored in EEPROM, M92 E740.25 followd by M500 worked.

Seems to do the trick so far, just read about the ultimaker²+ upgrade kit some days ago, would have probably gone for that if it were already available.

DSC_1157.thumb.JPG.22cbe2973fa8b2980efe6a705bcec488.JPG

DSC_1153.thumb.JPG.4dea3a5ff16d3266f2e19057676c42f5.JPG

DSC_1157.thumb.JPG.22cbe2973fa8b2980efe6a705bcec488.JPG

DSC_1153.thumb.JPG.4dea3a5ff16d3266f2e19057676c42f5.JPG

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1