New machines this year!

neotko

Posted (edited) · New machines this year!

On an interview with Utimaker CEO

Jos Burger: One thing that we learned as a company is to be extremely careful to talk about launching a new machine. If we don’t feel a hundred percent comfortable about it, we won’t even talk about the launch date. But we will launch new machines this year with new functionalities and new software. Even sooner than a lot of people would expect it.

Very interesting interview:

https://all3dp.com/ultimaker-interview/?utm_content=buffer30959&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this:

Siert Wijnia: At the same time, we will not be launching new machines for the sake of launching new machines …

Jos Burger: … or make shareholders happy, or increase the hype.

Please please, make the Foehnsturm CoreXY machine with multiple tools open and an easy auto adjustment system. Pretty please? :D

Edited by Guest

Posted · New machines this year!
    lars more – because you can make taller things. Right now we are working on a machine that we will launch this year that is not just higher, but bigger in general.

This sounds more and more like a @Foehnsturm CoreXY machine!

Well, Ultimaker pays a lot of attention to their customers and to what people like you, me and many others are doing. that's for sure. But this new "printer" is super secret, I don't know anything about it. So perhaps it's something completely different. On the other hand, if there were some resemblances to my work UM even might not tell me right now. My feeling is that it's more the former not the latter. But I might be completely wrong.

• Like 1

Hmmm... maybe it's rather an Ultimaker2 XL... remember the expectations before the UM2 Extended and the GO came out. At the end there was evolution but not revolution.

edit: But one thing is for sure: If it is a 3D printer, it will be a 2.85mm Bowden Extruder FFF machine. Otherwise the investment into new tools for the geared feader would never pay off.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Well that could be a bit sad. But if they do that, it would be a bit of opposite of what they suggest on the interview.

Of , as a company they make st do what customers want, not what we would like them to do :D

Edited by Guest

Hm, not sure. If you want to start drawing deductions:

multi-material -> multi-head

multi-material -> direct drive (flexible and other filaments)

multi-head -> Elserbot gantry not suitable

direct drive -> 1.75 mm (trading feeder torque for speed)

--> sounds very "disruptive"

• Like 1

Bed -> 3 point bed with x3 Z mirroed steppers for sturdy bed

Head -> Foehnsturm small motor direct drive

Board -> Bigger, more expandable and better cpu for more complex gcoding (arcs, curves)

Motors -> Nema 23 to allow cnc tools

Head -> Interchangeable system for multitools with zxy0 automagic

Frame -> Aluminium extruded

Edited by Guest

Bed -> 3 point bed with x3 Z mirroed steppers for sturdy bed

Head -> Foehnsturm small motor direct drive

Board -> Bigger, more expandable and better cpu for more complex gcoding (arcs, curves)

Motors -> Nema 23 to allow cnc tools

Head -> Interchangeable system for multitools with zxy0 automagic

Frame -> Aluminium extruded

Very interesting article indeed, thanks for sharing!

Please add wifi printing and an app to remotely control the printer ;)

A build-in HD cam would be great to create timelapse movies!

• Like 1

I doubt Ultimaker would leave the range of additive manufacturing, so any CNC machine is unrealistic IMHO. However, as Ultimaker is already playing the 'ecosystem' card there is one element missing: 3D scanning. And Ultimaker has people who are familiar with this topic.

Multiextrusion is certainly also something Ultimaker will have a look into on the long run after the fiasco with the UM2 dual extrusion.

Edited by Guest

Whatever it'll be, it has to give the "Ultimaker user experience". Which Ultimaker considers as one of its core brand assets.  It's obvious that they try to learn a lot from Apple in it's best times.

Edited by Guest

It would be great if they did a key association with someone like Misumi to reinforce the quality overall and gain points on the industrial customers.

I like how they focus on one material, well done, and maybe a light direct drive system like yours could be key to really be able to print any current material, reliable and with retractions.

Also a better cpu would allow to hardware to grow better naturally with more complex software, slicers, that are quite limited atm.

• Like 1

*grabs popcorn*

Always fun to read speculation :p

• Like 5

Particularly, if oneself might be less clueless? :p

Maybe ;)

• Like 1

With the competition getting better and cheaper, Ultimaker needs to strengthen its position.

Dual-extruders are getting quite common, palette is turning any 1.75mm printer into a 4 color printer, there 3mm version can't be too far away too, there's now cheaper laser and CNC cutters available, etc.

3D printers are getting bigger and cheaper too.

Edited by Guest

That's a very enlightening and good piece.

I'm pleased Ultimaker has been successful and shipping a lot of printers

I look forward to seeing what the larger printers will offer. I know with my R2-D2 and BB-8 printing, larger would be very convenient!

• Like 1

If they are going to release a new machine it had better have a base plate supported on both sides rather than just on one which inevitably vibrates a lot when performing filling operations. I suppose they could just move it to the sides instead of being at the back. Also a normal handle on the glass plate release, or a simple silicone one. maybe an enclosure as well for a more controlled temperature. i guess we'll know pretty soon, I wonder how much it will cost though, I have a feeling it will be a lot more expensive, but if its comparable in quality to what commercial printers achieve then I guess it will be more acceptable.

Nice interview. Must start saving all of my pennies now ;)

You might need to save more then just pennies :p

Our customers are not counting the Cent, so whether they are 2500 or 3000 US-Dollars doesn’t really make a difference.

I'm guessing it will closer to the latter if not more.

• Like 1

You might need to save more then just pennies :p

Our customers are not counting the Cent, so whether they are 2500 or 3000 US-Dollars doesn’t really make a difference.

I'm guessing it will closer to the latter if not more.

You may be even to optimistic :)

Jos Burger: If you look into our segment that is defined by printers between 2000 and

3500 Euros, then you see that it’s growing and growing and growing

Also an interesting part of the interview on not selling at "boxmovers".

They do sell at "coolblue.nl" which is an online boxmover imho.

boxmovers.thumb.png.20c7a4a79807b51bbbb251076e9bc699.png

I have no idea what the agreement is between the two but I do know that Ultimaker runs educational programs for resellers. So it's possible that they have someone there that has gone through that to be able to answer more questions than print area size.

I have no idea what the agreement is between the two but I do know that Ultimaker runs educational programs for resellers. So it's possible that they have someone there that has gone through that to be able to answer more questions than print area size.

I guess that it's somehow reasonable to allow boxmovers to sell Ultimakers if they're in the same country. They may know how they work, and if they have any problem with them, Ultimaker can send Sander and teach them what happens when they don't do their work properly. :p

Going back to the new machines, I see they can take different ways (or all of them it they have the money). If it's a new 3D printer, multi-extrusion is necessary after what happened with the UM2. They can work with a new design that gives some good multi-colour results. If it's not a 3D printer, a laser-cutting machine could also work.

• Like 1