New machines this year!

neotko

Posted · New machines this year!

And believe me, in the end it's the costs which decide about new models or model changes (sorry to destroy some illusions...).

I have this gut feeling in this case we have no UM3 yet because UM is simply not ready with any kind of technology improvement that would justify the "3" ... looking at the CEO statement they must be close enough to be confident to state "this year".

I agree with this. And after reading the interview twice, I don't think they were talking about an Ultimaker 3. They talked about companies that use Ultimakers in a professional way, not just as a hobby.

An Ultimaker 3 makes no sense as with the new update they "fixed" the most important critial parts (for newbies and not so newbies). I think this new machine they were talking about they're going to go a step further, a higher price, but they will be able to see how certain features work or not, and THEN, they may add this extremely secret and visionary features to a possible UM3 (this sounded just like an Apple fanboy :p ).

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · New machines this year!

Thank you all,

Yes you are totally right if you need it buy it.

So what I did was actually to get an Ultimaker 2, since my local reseller had a great deal: 20% off and free Olsson block. So now I am a happy owner of two great machines! Since I run exclusively on XT transparent and my UM2 Extended works perfectly I am very happy with this choice. Of course I am going to have to get the Isolator and bowden tube that 3dsolex provides. But I really feel like I earned some money here. If there comes out a new machine that makes me drool I will buy that as well.

But for now I am very happy indeed.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Thank you all,

Yes you are totally right if you need it buy it.

So what I did was actually to get an Ultimaker 2, since my local reseller had a great deal: 20% off and free Olson block. So now I am a happy owner of two great machines! Since I run exclusively on XT transparent and my UM2 Extended works perfectly I am very happy with this choice. Of course I am going to have to get the Isolator and bowden tube that 3dsolex provides. But I really feel like I earned some money here. If there comes out a new machine that makes me drool I will buy that as well.

But for now I am very happy indeed.

great :) congratulations on your new machine!

Judging by the way they have worked in the past it will be an exercise in stretching their existing stable.

As far as I know the UM mechanism is nearly at its limits in terms of width - but lets say it could be stretched to 250 or 280 - it would increase the capacity of the machine and the diagonal would be near my magic 300mm which is where lots of the things I want to print sit.

So I have a feeling we will be looking at a UM2+ wide or something similar, and something that can provide 'supports' in a disolvable format which may be what is driving the software changes.

The changes to cura, nozzle/heat block, extruder etc - all could function as parts on a slightly modified form factor ..... possibly some kind of enclosure? CoreXY?

Apparently the takerbot large format Z18 has had a fairly good take up in business and that has a 305x305 bed - apart from the crappy reliability it is a sweet spot form factor.

So there are some major 'tweaks' that could expand the line without significantly expanding the inventory - which would be a smart move!

This it's amazing

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160128-davids-unique-rprint-3d-printer-stands-out-in-both-function-and-form.html

The bed system itself it's brilliant!

Also the head, reminds me a bit of the corexy head @foehnsturm was doing.

That's what I would like to see on a um3. Check the video, the printer looks quite nice (not cheap btw).

• Like 1

Also an interesting part of the interview on not selling at "boxmovers".

They do sell at "coolblue.nl" which is an online boxmover imho.

boxmovers.thumb.png.20c7a4a79807b51bbbb251076e9bc699.png

"Absolutely. No Media Markt... " ... Guess what you can buy here ... ;)

• Like 1

Is there any News from a release Date for the Ultimaker 2+ Upgrade?

It will probably be March, the end of Q1.

We will see. I hope so much