Can I upgrade my Ultimaker 2 feeder to the Ultimaker 2+ feeder

Jear_bear524

Posted · Can I upgrade my Ultimaker 2 feeder to the Ultimaker 2+ feeder

Hello, I have recently gotten a ultimaker 2. I am very happy with it so far. But I have had a couple of scary problems in the past few weeks. I have fixed them for the most part but they have reoccurred a couple of times. My main problem is the feeder. It seemed that when I got my ultimaker 2 that the feeder was so tight that it literally squished the filament to a pulp. I took basically the entire printer apart and figured it out. But it is still extremely tight and it keeps clicking now and again. I am a little mad at how Ultimaker didn't announce that they were coming out with a new version or, at least, free add-ons. And now they have basically fixed my problem with a new feeder. So even though I think they should have announced it so I could have planned to buy a printer later so I could have gotten it later. But I am willing to pay for a new feeder. Is there any way that I can buy the new feeder? I am going to America in the next few days so it would be best if you could tell me where to get it. Because I live in Kenya it is a challenge to get it here. Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks - Jeremy

Yes, a kit will be made available. We don't have a hard date for it yet AFAIK but it'll be later in Q1 last I heard.

Okay is there any chance I can just buy the kit or just the feeder right now, because as you can understand it is hard to get things here to Kenya and I am in America right now. And I have been having the problem again where it is just chewing through my filament

@Jear_bear524, I think you have two possibilities: Either you contact FBRC8, the US assembler of Ultimaker in Memphis, and explain them your situation (and maybe find an arrangement) or you print the Robert feeder which needs only parts from the original feeder except one additional M3 screw (which you might be able to get in Kenya?)

Yes, a kit will be made available. We don't have a hard date for it yet AFAIK but it'll be later in Q1 last I heard.

Okay is there any chance I can just buy the kit or just the feeder right now,  because as you can understand it is hard to get things here to Kenya and I am in America right now. And I have been having the problem again where it is just chewing through my filament

I am also in NY so if you have any contacts there that I can meet up with and try to sort this out with it would be very much appreciated

@Jear_bear524, I think you have two possibilities: Either you contact FBRC8, the US assembler of Ultimaker in Memphis, and explain them your situation (and maybe find an arrangement) or you print the Robert feeder which needs only parts from the original feeder except one additional M3 screw (which you might be able to get in Kenya?)

Yeah its just the problem is that my printer isn't printing right now because the feeder is just chewing through the filament I can't get a finished print. :(

Print slower and disable retracts. Also, maybe it's just the spring too tight?

Yeah its just the problem is that my printer isn't printing right now because the feeder is just chewing through the filament I can't get a finished print.  :(

An US 3DHub might be able to print the parts for you while you're in the States.

Print slower and disable retracts. Also, maybe it's just the spring too tight?

Im printing at 50ms and why would no retraction help because then there is going to be a lot of stringing won't there?

There are many reasons that can do that. Maintly feeder way too tight, bad filament or too hot environment so the heat from the motor goes to the pla and become softer. Without retractions you get strings, unless you print too cold + slow + fast travel moves. Anyway if you can print a bad looking but ok feeder, that will allow you to change it and print a good quality one (if the feeder it's the cause).

Posted (edited) · Can I upgrade my Ultimaker 2 feeder to the Ultimaker 2+ feeder

Hi guys,

AFAIK UM2+ uses a geared feeder, with a 1 mod and 11 teeth and a 1 mod 44 teeth gear, which multiplies 4 times to the torque. Also, a smaller driving gear and a lever with longer arm. The lever can be pulled by hand. All these added more driving force to the filament and also increase precision.  

I've experienced under-extrusion a lot for quite some time! So I'm keeping track with improvements and modifications with this respect a lot. I was impressed and inspired by the belt gearbox feeder by Meduza in this thread:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/17033-meduzas-bolt-on-belt-geared-feeder-upgrade-for-um2

as well as the original UM2, UM2+ feeder design.

With this knowledge I'm experimenting with my re-implemented UM2+ feeder, with printed parts, gears and 5mm rod and other parts from the original UM2. I'm using the original mounting holes of UM2 so no modification to the UM2 back panel is needed. And software side the only thing I've done is recalibrate and re-entered the E-step by using G-Code command

M92 Exxx

I just finished the prototype yesterday (with three 5mm flanged bearings, two brass  gears,  0.5 mod 18 teeth and 0.5 mod 72 teeth resp. and 5x40mm steel rod)  It works fine!  The only thing I was not satisfied was the noise produced by the brass gears. It was a bit louder than the original UM2. Mostly was the clicking sound when retracting. I'm planning to use POM gears instead. But for now I'm also experimenting with printed gears, (1mod 10teeth and 1mod 35teeth).

Since most of my parts were printed in PLA or PETG, I'm not sure how long it will last. Especially for the lever. If anybody interested in it, here's  my current version

http://a360.co/1PvoHyX  in Fusion 360 (WIP).

Overall.thumb.png.8277e5894f5b750a05037618105c2547.png

Gears.thumb.png.b46a399a94803aadaec614888c5454fd.png

Housing.thumb.png.2f8a8b71a60b3391e3c981f0de33f04c.png

IMG_0267.thumb.JPG.de3558946b195dd8f98c48fef4f42699.JPG

IMG_0264.thumb.JPG.a78820b9c2262faf4682437b96a5df9f.JPG

Overall.thumb.png.8277e5894f5b750a05037618105c2547.png

Gears.thumb.png.b46a399a94803aadaec614888c5454fd.png

Housing.thumb.png.2f8a8b71a60b3391e3c981f0de33f04c.png

IMG_0267.thumb.JPG.de3558946b195dd8f98c48fef4f42699.JPG

IMG_0264.thumb.JPG.a78820b9c2262faf4682437b96a5df9f.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1