What's so good about Ultimaker?

Posted · What's so good about Ultimaker?

Better stringing than under extrusion. just sand it off. Some people dont even use retraction and sand it off as its quicker printing i think because it doesnt have to pause at all, extending the life of some parts. I never expect my parts to come out without needing a little tlc. I kind of enjoy perfecting them. if stringing was my only problem, id be laughing. Use some model shears to trim them off and then just sand them down. Unless you have seek models that require zero touching up, this is not really a problem. But looking at many videos, ive never seen a decent model that required no post work.

• Like 1

@fredz - I'm glad you are looking at the prusa because it is also an open source machine. However I suspect you will find better quality parts from the UM2. You can order a part 3d printed through 3dhubs.com for very little money and you can have it printed by a prusa i3 and also by an Ultimaker. And you can probably have them printed in your town and you can go talk to the owners when you pick up your parts and see how much headaches they have had.

Posted (edited) · What's so good about Ultimaker?

I agree that in some cases (like this turbine) you might as well just cut and sand off any strings, and be happy about an otherwise beautiful and strong print...

However, some prints are more complex, and will leave stringing in various cavaties etc., that are hard to reach and sand... In this case, you really want to minimize stringing.

My 3 goto tricks are:

- Lower temperature (even 5 or 10 degrees will make a difference)

- Higher travel speed (your UM should be capable of 200-250 mm/s, but be careful about missed steps)

- Get to know your extruder setup and a good retraction setting for it (I currently have 6mm. at 40 mm./s, but it varies from setup to setup)

Edited by Guest

I personally have no real issues with the default settings. the only thing i change during print is the nozzle temp after the first layer. rest is default, i honestly think the um team set up the default settings very well. i think a lot of people play with settings when they simply don't need to.