Cura layer view is diffeent from the normal view

herman-wouters

Posted (edited) · Cura layer view is diffeent from the normal view

I have a Ultimaker 2 extended and use cura 15.04

In cura the normal view gives the same picture as my 3d design, but in the layer view

there are missing some parts. See the next pictures.

5a3316cc28e78_normalview.thumb.JPG.af847bb99c33ab01a72380471966f867.JPG[/media][/media]

the bottom and the left wall do not show in the layerview.

The wall and the bottom I designd as a support for printing: thickness 0,4 mm.

When I make the wall and the bottom 1 mm, only the waal shows in the layerview.

instellingen.JPG.64b43974a8e1853322bd06e76de8eda5.JPG

layers.thumb.JPG.391a0467f9185d01308b04d358d326f9.JPG

Please help me. What am I doing wrong ?

5a3316cc28e78_normalview.thumb.JPG.af847bb99c33ab01a72380471966f867.JPG

instellingen.JPG.64b43974a8e1853322bd06e76de8eda5.JPG

layers.thumb.JPG.391a0467f9185d01308b04d358d326f9.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura layer view is diffeent from the normal view

Use netfabb cloud free service. It fixes almost anything.

But the read areas can cause issues in the other parts. It also looks like that some of the walls are too thin (Like valcrow mentioned)

the wals and the bottom are 0,4 mm

0.4 isnt always 0.4 Rouding errors could cause it to be 0.399 (or something like that).

If you scale it to 101%, does the same thing happen?

0.4 isnt always 0.4 Rouding errors could cause it to be 0.399 (or something like that).

scale is not possible because I used thet total measurement of the machine.

I made the wall 0.5 mm and that the wall shows on the layerview.

but still the bottom is not showing (0,5 mm thick

or set nozzle width to 0.39 I think I recall one of the illuminaries suggesting a couple of years ago

Cura needs to make 2 passes through a wall - one pass to create the outer edge of the wall and one pass to create the inner pass. I know this seems silly but it is a limitation of the Cura software and how the slicer works (it only prints loops when printing "shell").

So you should make that .4mm wall 1mm (or at least .8mm). I would experiment with different "shell width" sizes. If you change nozzle width to .39 and leave shell at .8mm it won't make ANY DIFFERENCE. You have to change shell. So just for a test leave nozzle alone at .4 and set shell to values like .39, .35, .3 and see what happens. If it slices fine at a given value such as .39 then you don't need to change your model as a .4mm nozzle can go down to about .36 without much reduction in quality. So change the nozzle size to .39 (or whatever) and shell to a multiple of nozzle size.

herman what country are you in? Please update your profile settings.

Ok I was nearly right :)

herman what country are you in?  Please update your profile settings.

Ok Iupdated my profile. I am from The Netherlands

Cura needs to make 2 passes through a wall - one pass to create the outer edge of the wall and one pass to create the inner pass.  I know this seems silly but it is a limitation of the Cura software and how the slicer works (it only prints loops when printing "shell").

So you should make that .4mm wall 1mm (or at least .8mm).  I would experiment with different "shell width" sizes.  If you change nozzle width to .39 and leave shell at .8mm it won't make ANY DIFFERENCE.  You have to change shell.  So just for a test leave nozzle alone at .4 and set shell to values like .39, .35, .3 and see what happens.  If it slices fine at a given value such as .39 then you don't need to change your model as a .4mm nozzle can go down to about .36 without much reduction in quality.  So change the nozzle size to .39 (or whatever) and shell to a multiple of nozzle size.

OK thanks, The wall is alright now. But what about the bottom ?

The bottom is still not showing (0,5 mm thick) ( see pictures

Cura needs to make 2 passes through a wall - one pass to create the outer edge of the wall and one pass to create the inner pass.  I know this seems silly but it is a limitation of the Cura software and how the slicer works (it only prints loops when printing "shell").

So you should make that .4mm wall 1mm (or at least .8mm).  I would experiment with different "shell width" sizes.  If you change nozzle width to .39 and leave shell at .8mm it won't make ANY DIFFERENCE.  You have to change shell.  So just for a test leave nozzle alone at .4 and set shell to values like .39, .35, .3 and see what happens.  If it slices fine at a given value such as .39 then you don't need to change your model as a .4mm nozzle can go down to about .36 without much reduction in quality.  So change the nozzle size to .39 (or whatever) and shell to a multiple of nozzle size.

OK thanks, The wall is alright now. But what about the bottom ?

The bottom is still not showing (0,5 mm thick) ( see pictures

5a3316dede237_normalviewnew.JPG.ca4f5e0c565ab7b57fd9a37d3784f0b5.JPG[/media][/media]

5a3316dede237_normalviewnew.JPG.ca4f5e0c565ab7b57fd9a37d3784f0b5.JPG

5a3316e02d530_x-rayviewnew.JPG.1f4bb18d069aacb8c9449aef94f48cbd.JPG

5a3316e02d530_x-rayviewnew.JPG.1f4bb18d069aacb8c9449aef94f48cbd.JPG

Edited by Guest

5a3316e0151a6_layersnew.JPG.c8ed24c627fa18ec67751c6132df8a32.JPG

5a3316e0151a6_layersnew.JPG.c8ed24c627fa18ec67751c6132df8a32.JPG

Edited by Guest

use the slider on the right and pull it to the first layer, Cura shows the first 10 layers accurate and the rest as a 'preview', bottom and top layers disappear to get a good view for these ten layers.

use the slider on the right and pull it to the first layer, Cura shows the first 10 layers accurate and the rest as a 'preview', bottom and top layers disappear to get a good view for these ten layers.

The first layer is also not showing the bottom

5a3316e1bcbaa_firstlayer.JPG.32991d6196a56a4dc5cc879f305543a9.JPG

5a3316e1bcbaa_firstlayer.JPG.32991d6196a56a4dc5cc879f305543a9.JPG

When you can serve the *.stl file (when not copyrighted) we can help to each other quick.

OK how do I insert the STL file?

In xray view - all that red at the bottom - that's messing up the bottom layer. I think. Possibly turn on "fix horrible A" or "fix horrible B". Sometimes that fixes it. But really you should fix it in CAD - there are probably extra internal walls right where the bottom stops - on the inner edge.

Really ANY red in xray view can cause problems but in your case it looks like that almost invisible red line that shows the line between where the bottom did print and where it was supposed to print.

In xray view - all that red at the bottom - that's messing up the bottom layer.  I think.  Possibly turn on "fix horrible A" or "fix horrible B".  Sometimes that fixes it.  But really you should fix it in CAD - there are probably extra internal walls right where the bottom stops - on the inner edge.

Really ANY red in xray view can cause problems but in your case it looks like that almost invisible red line that shows the line between where the bottom did print and where it was supposed to print.

The strange thing is that when I set shell thicknes 4 times the nozzle size, the layers re showing on the bottom

The strange thing is that when I set shell thicknes 4 times the nozzle size, the layers re showing on the bottom