Software Question's

dastrix

Posted · Software Question's

Hi Guys and Gals

What cloud version of software would you recommend we use for creating 3d models on a Chromebook?

Also is it a good idea to open any designs in cura first before trying to print?

Thirdly is cura the best software on windows or is there others worth looking at too?

Hi @dastrix,

I think you are mixing things up a bit. You design with CAD software or other tools that facilitate the creation of 3d models. Then you export the model in "STL" format. This .stl files you drag into Cura in order to prepare them for printing (a process called "slicing"). You can't design anything directly in Cura.

Since you use a Chromebook I assume local storage capacity is limited so you would like to use a cloud to storage service to save your work (3d models and stl files) to.

Here is an overview about 3D printing using a Chromebook: Link

Posted (edited) · Software Question's

Cura is a good place for a beginner to start; it is free, easy to use and you can delve into the more advanced settings as you learn how to 3D print.

Kisslicer and slic3r are other free options, Kisslicer has  a Pro version which is 42usd. Both are worth looking at but if you are starting I would leave it 6 months.

Then there is Simplyfy3D which is about 150usd and you cannot get a trial version. It is meant to be really good, which it should be!, but I refuse to give someone 150 bucks if they will not supply a trial version that I can try first.

Edited by Guest

Cura is the second stage in the process.

You design the 3D object in some sort of modelling software ( I use Google Sketchup ), then export the object as an .STL file so that Cura can slice it. After slicing, save it as a .gcode file for the printer to work from.

As well as slicing, Cura offers a very good error check with its Xray and Layer view. I check every object this way before printing.

We have a ton of Chromebook users that use the AstroPrint cloud.  (Full disclosure, I'm a founder of AstroPrint).  You won't get the advanced CAD functionality that it appears you need, but you will be able to control and manage the printer from your chromebook.

Once you have the file you wish to print, the AstroPrint cloud can slice (via Cura Engine, of course!!!) and store your files (STLs and GCODE) without the need of downloading software.

I hope this helps.  :-)

Hi the acunyc

What is the price plan for astroprint cloud? i have got lots of schools who would be interested with printing from chrome OS to the Ultimaker printer.

• Like 1