Looking for a nice way to memorialize a lost pet

LePaul

Posted · Looking for a nice way to memorialize a lost pet

Sadly, I have had another beloved cat pass away this week. I've lost two in 3 months.

Both were elderly, the most recent had asthma and went into respiratory distress on me...I rushed him to the ER vet as fast as I could to get him on oxygen and meds....but he died 15 minutes later. I'm haunted by remembering his gasping for air...poor cat. He died in my arms.

I've been looking around YouMagine and Thingiverse for a nice memorial to print for his boxed, cremated remains. If you guys happen to spot something, let me know.

I know many of you are pet-people, so I thought I would ask my friends here :)

I'm down to one cat now! Poor thing has been grieving and she's adjusting to being all alone in the house. I may have to add a playmate in the future.

auch, sorry to hear that :/

maybe you can print some kind of hollow piece/memorial where you put the ashes in during printing, before the printer closes the print?

That way the piece and the ashes become one sorta speak.

I'm sorry for your loss @LePaul... my condolences... It must be hard to lose 2 pets in 3 months omg :( :( Will you get new cats in the near future or will you stay with 1 for now?

My wife and I decided to stay child-less because we like our freedom etc. But our 2 dogs are our children, I cannot think about anything happen to them :(

here are our fluffy über-spoiled kids :)

2ga9wVD.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

The cat is very lonely, never been the only cat in the house. I've bought her some new toys and spent some quality time playing with her instead of printing :) I'm going to wait a bit before I consider adding another one to the house hold...she might decide she likes having the house all to herself!

• Like 1

Well the emergency vet called last night to report my cat's cremated remains were ready for pick up. It was exactly a week ago I brought him there in respiratory distress. The staff was very nice, i was a little choked up at how nice they were.

I'll print something nice in the future...but for now, a picture will work :)

5a33170faa2b4_PudgeyRemembered.thumb.jpg.84d500c5e7303a15a10d23f2a9eaeb06.jpg

5a33170faa2b4_PudgeyRemembered.thumb.jpg.84d500c5e7303a15a10d23f2a9eaeb06.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Looking for a nice way to memorialize a lost pet

Phew, must be difficult for you @LePaul ....

Edited by Guest

Life is about the journey and the friends we make :)

Hi @LePaul, very sorry to hear about your poor cat.

Luckily you still have another cat who hopefully will be able to make you feel better a little bit. Must be tough, you really get attached to your pets.

I had a dog, and now have 2 cats. Wouldn't want to go without them.

The vase looks nice. What kind of thing were you thinking of?

Something abstract or something more specific?

Well, I'm thinking about something that holds both of those wooden boxes and perhaps room for a picture above each. I have an idea but I need to sketch it out some

Pets are something. You sort of take them for granted over the years. I just never thought I'd loose 2/3 of them in a 3-month span. I had a dog years ago and I thought about getting another....but I am gone a lot, so the cats were easier.

Well, I'm thinking about something that holds both of those wooden boxes and perhaps room for a picture above each.  I have an idea but I need to sketch it out some

Pets are something.  You sort of take them for granted over the years.  I just never thought I'd loose 2/3 of them in a 3-month span.  I had a dog years ago and I thought about getting another....but I am gone a lot, so the cats were easier.

For me it was the same. I would love to have another dog, but with my travel schedule it wouldn't be fair to the dog.

Curious to see what you had in mind when you are ready.

I have to measure the boxes, I'll be happy to share that here. I know we have some immensely talented YouMagine contributors

If it were me I think I would rather build something out of matching wood. Plastic prints are cool but IMHO they would look too cheap for something like this unless you spent time postprocessing them into something nice. Some good old stained wood always looks nice.

I don't have any pets myself. I'm allergic to cats and too lazy for a dog. That and I don't think animals should live in an apartment. Maybe someday when I win the lottery and can afford to buy a house :)

That's a really good point...but I am not a carpenter =)

Well, I'm thinking about something that holds both of those wooden boxes and perhaps room for a picture above each.  I have an idea but I need to sketch it out some

Pets are something.  You sort of take them for granted over the years.  I just never thought I'd loose 2/3 of them in a 3-month span.  I had a dog years ago and I thought about getting another....but I am gone a lot, so the cats were easier.

For me it was the same. I would love to have another dog, but with my travel schedule it wouldn't be fair to the dog.

Curious to see what you had in mind when you are ready.

My dogs are almost 24/7 with me, I even take them to my office every day. :)

And they got their duties too! :p

- Guarding

UADzNU7.jpg

-Sleeping

gnZDjGl.jpg

- Smoking

mS5mya6.jpg

- testing a VR chair

oVAi2qe.jpg

And even testing our Virtual Reality applications!

YKKM3ZH.jpg

And at the end of the day being very impatient to go home. :D

7Cna6zt.jpg

;)

test

• Like 3

Aww, you can tell those dogs are loved!

'Pudgey' was full of personality and had a loud, raspy meow. Actually, he was quite the talker. Thus the house feels way too quiet

He wasn't crazy about pictures being taken

12508870_10153815151975169_3842811571806907865_n.thumb.jpg.1426f08f2c01b057f8f60fb356ead293.jpg

Loved to sit or lay in weird positions

1015407_10151671367145169_136401794_o.thumb.jpg.1aa4e48b4bfad60cc24c91a2ec5cdc49.jpg

Looked to be missing feet when begging with his buddy Momma Cat (sole survivor now)

1924213_62292560168_5821_n.thumb.jpg.3fac3a4d57a0526a9a4a6674f7a53094.jpg

Loved snuggling his older brother (Mokey passed away in Oct)

12141714_10153644958320169_5314151391033239063_n.jpg.c84da706decbfa02c8d160b34c83ab45.jpg

And was in charge of grocery bag inspections :)

10355805_10153106970050169_6374737869781269389_n.thumb.jpg.bababf6d639f08e9585795c0aedc3205.jpg

12508870_10153815151975169_3842811571806907865_n.thumb.jpg.1426f08f2c01b057f8f60fb356ead293.jpg

1015407_10151671367145169_136401794_o.thumb.jpg.1aa4e48b4bfad60cc24c91a2ec5cdc49.jpg

1924213_62292560168_5821_n.thumb.jpg.3fac3a4d57a0526a9a4a6674f7a53094.jpg

12141714_10153644958320169_5314151391033239063_n.jpg.c84da706decbfa02c8d160b34c83ab45.jpg

10355805_10153106970050169_6374737869781269389_n.thumb.jpg.bababf6d639f08e9585795c0aedc3205.jpg

• Like 3

Really sad to see him go :(

I think 3d printing can look classy when it is 'hit and miss' - like a filigree or diamond patterns to encase the boxes.

I was also amazed how effective lithophanes can be and his black and white features might work well for that. Or a simple random rectangle arrangement which could hold some of the brilliant photographs that you have - so a mini complex photo frame.

I feel ya lepaul. My parents had 3 cats that had a car crash, all of them, within 3 months :(

reminds me of an idea, why not build or buy an artist cube where inside there is room for the ashes, and on the outside you paste pictures?

nice cute photos @LePaul ! :)