Head not homing on UM2

Armfielding

Posted · Head not homing on UM2

Hi All,

My UM2 will no longer home its head instead it will just move slightly towards the back right every time i press home head in the maintenance window.

Here is a video below to explain a bit better. Please help!

Thanks,

Adam

Posted (edited) · Head not homing on UM2

Can you check if your end stop switches are clicking when you move the head with your hand in the home position (shut down the printer)

Yes both back and left clicks are working. I can move the head manually when the UM2 is turned off to home position and I get both clicks ..one for the back one for the side.  The head will not move by itself to the home position.  It moves all the way to the back and each push of the "home head" button just bounces it along like in the video.

Edited by Guest

Maybe you have a loose pulley, do you see both motors turning when you home (X and Y)?

If both turn then one pulley must be loose most probably one on the short belts and the X one if i'm not wrong

You are correct only one of the pulleys (Closest to the feeder) is working. How do i fix this?

Thanks,

A

The motor is turning?, if yes then the loose pulley must be tightened, either on the rod or on the motor.

If on the motor, you must take the cover of (two screws), take motor off (or try to retighten it with the motor still fixed on the side back panel)

Be carefull the pulley screw is easy to damage

OK i've chcked again. Both motors are working. The head just wont head home once it hits the back wall. Both motors appear to work. The head just wont go left (home) once it hits the back wall. If i press "home head" the head just skips a bit to the right. Both belts look and feel super tight. Can i add another video or photo to help with the analysis?

If the motor is turning, then the pulley one the rod where the short belt is, must be untight.

When you home pay attention to the pulleys on the rods to see if it turns loose

If the motor is turning, then the pulley one the rod where the short belt is, must be untight.

When you home pay attention to the pulleys on the rods to see if it turns loose

It all appears tight and moving...no slippage..just doesnt want to even try and go home left along the X axis. Here is a another video.

I dont understand...the pulley systems seem OK. Is there another possible solution?

you may need to check the homing switch with a meter to make sure its actually switching. even though its clicking there maybe something wrong with it.

you may need to check the homing switch with a meter to make sure its actually switching. even though its clicking there maybe something wrong with it.

How would i do this check?

Disconnect the switch and put your meter onto the Continuity Beeper setting. measure between the 2 wires and switch the switch. your meter should only beep when the switch is pressed in.

If you don't have a meter you can use a battery and a light and connect them all in series. when you push in the switch the light should go on.

To test the switches you can also activate them by hand when you do a home head.

Place the head at the front right, prepare yourself to click on the switch with a screwdriver.

Do a home head from the maintenance menu, and activate the switch, if it works the head should stop moving in the corresponding direction. Do it for both switches

Posted (edited) · Head not homing on UM2

Someone suggested that the x switch may be stuck.  

How would i "unstick" this?

Edited by Guest

To test the switches you can also activate them by hand when you do a home head.

Place the head at the front right, prepare yourself to click on the switch with a screwdriver.

Do a home head from the maintenance menu, and activate the switch, if it works the head should stop moving in the corresponding direction. Do it for both switches

Thanks...but the head wont home back along the x axis by itself.

Disconnect the switch and put your meter onto the Continuity Beeper setting. measure between the 2 wires and switch the switch. your meter should only beep when the switch is pressed in.

If you don't have a meter you can use a battery and a light and connect them all in series. when you push in the switch the light should go on.

Do you mean to disconnect the switch from the motherboard? Or just take the screws out from the top of the switch? What end am i measuring the wires ...the motherboard end or the switch end?

I don't understand how the motor on X is moving but your head is not... are you sure it's moving?

Do you mean to disconnect the switch from the motherboard?  Or just take the screws out from the top of the switch?  What end am i measuring the wires ...the motherboard end or the switch end?

Disconnect it from the motherboard and check the wires you removed at the motherboard end. If this shows that it's not switching then check it at the terminals on the switch. This way you can check the wires and the switch. the wires could have been squashed or something causing the issue.

I don't understand how the motor on X is moving but your head is not... are you sure it's moving?

The head does move...watch the video...but it only moves away from the home position by a small amount each time i press home head.

OK i did the continuity test. Here is the video. You cant see in the video...but i had someone press the switch twice during the test. As you can see it was beeping even when the switch was not pressed and kept beeping whilst being switched. So it appears i have a stuck switch (internal to the switch as it still clicks). What next? A new switch?

Yes you will need to replace it. You can contact you nearest reseller and they will send one out to you.

OK Thanks.