Simplify3D question - Support not sticking to buildplate, how to fix?

frederiekpascal

Posted (edited) · Simplify3D question - Support not sticking to buildplate, how to fix?

S3D is working like a charm for me, except for the support...

When I slice for example the T-rex like this :

koFBXOQ.png

The support that is printed directly on the buildplate does not stick to my 65°C buildplate...

I have tried many different options in S3D to fix this (even asked master @Neotko for help) but it's not fixed yet.

I know it's a software (slicing) problem cause I had the exact same problem with my other UM2.

These are my support settings :

ncS5s7P.png

This is what happening to my prints (with both machines, this a photo of my previous UM2 of what's happening all the time but it's the same with the +).

X7eN9gs.png

The print itself is printing perfectly, only the support is not sticking to the buildplate....

Anybody who has a suggestion to fix this? :)

Edited by Guest

Posted · Simplify3D question - Support not sticking to buildplate, how to fix?

The way it prints the supports sometimes, unless you use glue on the bed, it tents to happen to me also. I just set the supports print speed lower. I think its on advanced.

For carbonfil when I print supports with it I also miz the angle of the support changing it from 0 to 0,0,90,90. So it makes two lines on each angle on two layers and then changes. Also two-three solid supports (that needs fine tunning) to make the supported area look better.

I think what would be best is the option to put BRIM around the support pillars, but its not available I think (at least I can not find it), even when you use brim it's only placed around the object and not around the pillars, which is kinda stupid if you ask me...

Maybe 2th  best would be to have a more dense or solid bottom on the support pillars, there is the function "dense support layers" but seems this is to create a dense roof between support and item. Not available on the bottom of the pillar.

I guess you could load the model in CAD and draw a thin layer around it (like manual manual brim) on the places you need support, then let S3D do the support between this thin layer and the print item... Think you dont need to merge these 2 in cads but just save the thin layer as STL and load in S3D together with the print item...

>>> just thought of this trick, did not try it yet <<<

Another option to try maybe ... split into 2 processes, one to start with a 100% fill support, then aftera few layers one with the normal fill% for support ....

Another option to try maybe ... split into 2 processes, one to start with a 100% fill support, then aftera few layers one with the normal fill% for support ....

never thought about this, but great idea :)

Your way, if it works, saves me also a lot of PLA because I was already at 50% infill percentage of my support... (which didn't help)

I'll try it tomorrow and post feedback.

I only got these problems when the support pillars are alone and not surrounded with other PLA.

When I print this guy with the support only on 30% infill, it works flawlessly...

FFf1ioN.png

But as you can see, the support pillars are connected to the brim of both legs.

QkKiDr0.jpg

just thought about this, I took a photo while printing.

Colorfabb standard white PLA/PHA

7cWBCa0.jpg

Posted (edited) · Simplify3D question - Support not sticking to buildplate, how to fix?

ok, could not resist, just did a quick check.

the idea of manual brim below the support pillars is super easy, just create a few sizes (or even one) of objects, square, round whatever suits the model, maybe just a few layers high (0,3mm). You just import this file together with the actual model. place it on the correct location (it will load next to the model drag it under the model), and scale when needed, just scale the "manual brim" in any dimension you need.

Place the supports, done (I think it's more effective than just the higher dense pillars)

Sample I used, as you see inspired on your photo :) 

edit: maybe best make the "manual brim" with rounded corners to avoid lifting from the bed

manualBrim.thumb.jpg.08d1db0cd3b6de3a8d22ba607e48ae10.jpg

manualBrim.thumb.jpg.08d1db0cd3b6de3a8d22ba607e48ae10.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1