Ultimaker 2+ : Temp Sensor Bug or Defect?

monsterzwerg

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ : Temp Sensor Bug or Defect?

Hey there, I have question about the UM2+ maximum printing temperature.

Received my second UM2+ after the first one had a defect heatbed.

Everything works, did the initial PLA print, no problem.

Then, for the second print, inserted ABS Material, selected ABS in the printers Material profiles and startet the print. The bed heated up and then the nozzle. The nozzle goes up to 272Celsius then a Error is shown on display: ERROR-STOPPED Temp sensor.

Then I looked into the ABS Material profile: The nozzle temperatur in the default ABS profile is set to 260 degree Celsius, way to high for my ABS Filament. Changed the Nozzle Temp to 240Celsius and restartet the print. It worked. The temperature went first up to 255C and then settled in on 240C.

So my QUESTION Is:

Is there a safety feature that shows the temp sensor error as soon as 273Celsius is reached?

Is this a known bug, a feature or a defective nozzle temperature sensor? How high should the nozzle temperature go before it safety quits and shows this error message? Someone else who owns the um2+?

Would be great if someone can explain if this is bug, feature or defect!

Sorry for my bad english and greetings from switzerland =)

Yes. 275C. There is a setting in the marlin (marlin is the firmware in the UM2) called "HEATER_0_MAXTEMP" in Configuration.h. For UM2 printers it is usually 275C. The max temp you can set with the control knob on the printer is always 15C lower than MAXTEMP.

If you go over MAXTEMP you get an error and nothing works until you power cycle.

The UM2+ is a very new machine and evidently Ultimaker didn't adjust the PID settings (or the temp range where PID is enabled) in the firmware. This is unfortunate. The UM2+ has a 35W heater but the older machines have 20-25W heaters (nominally 25W).

Hopefully someone will make improvements to either the PID values or maybe also the temp range where PID is enabled (I think it's within 20C of target temp?). A good "D" value should have prevented this I would think. Or maybe this will require custom code just for the 35W heaters.

You could consider calibrating your PID values. There are instructions on forum if you use google to look for the details. Or just never start out at 260C (go to 250C first, then once it settles jump up to 260C).

...You could consider calibrating your PID values.  There are instructions on forum if you use google to look for the details.  Or just never start out at 260C (go to 250C first, then once it settles jump up to 260C).

Thanks alot gr5!:) I see the problem there, the nozzle is just heating up to quick with the new 35W heater. For myself, I'll go with preheating, as you said, so it doesn't "overjump" these 275C.

But I'm afraid that people new to 3d printing just get this error everytime they try to print with the ABS profile. They'll follow the error message, go to the support faqs, check the cable connections as told and are lost, and may returning their UM2+ just because of this silly firmware-bug.

That should have turned up first in Lab when Ultimaker ran through their tests... I'll contact the support on this matter, this should be a easy one for them to correct in a new firmware.

Thanks again for your quick reply! That's the main reason i chose ultimaker, a solid community is essential :)

PROBLEM SOLVED

The UM2+ nozzle heating bug is gone by the newest firmware update.

Got an email from Chris McAdam, where he states, that the very first delivered UM2+ didn't have the newest firmware. So if you run in the same problem, just update your firmware and you're fine. :)

PROBLEM SOLVED

The UM2+ nozzle heating bug is gone by the newest firmware update.

Got an email from Chris McAdam, where he states, that the very first delivered UM2+ didn't have the newest firmware. So if you run in the same problem, just update your firmware and you're fine. :)

She. "she states". Chris is a young woman and is very smart. Very smart.

I'm glad there is a firmware fix for this. The PID values tend to be stored in a special place such that upgrading the firmware might not fix it - you might have to also do a "factory reset" which resets all the eeprom values including the PID settings to their defaults (it also erases your history of how many hours you have printed so far and you lose your homing position).

Thanks for asking this question. I too have been having this problem and got mad and went back to PLA thinking I wasted $2500.

...You could consider calibrating your PID values.  There are instructions on forum if you use google to look for the details.  Or just never start out at 260C (go to 250C first, then once it settles jump up to 260C).

Thanks alot gr5!:) I see the problem there, the nozzle is just heating up to quick with the new 35W heater. For myself, I'll go with preheating, as you said, so it doesn't "overjump" these 275C.

But I'm afraid that people new to 3d printing just get this error everytime they try to print with the ABS profile. They'll follow the error message, go to the support faqs, check the cable connections as told and are lost, and may returning their UM2+ just because of this silly firmware-bug.

That should have turned up first in Lab when Ultimaker ran through their tests... I'll contact the support on this matter, this should be a easy one for them to correct in a new firmware.

Thanks again for your quick reply! That's the main reason i chose ultimaker, a solid community is essential :)