I printed a Spitfire... and it flies :)

WTFockewulf

Posted · I printed a Spitfire... and it flies :)

Wow this is seriously cool!! :D

How long did it fly?

How did it survive heath / resonance and the wind in general?

Are you gonna make more?

Kuddo's for this amazing project!!

Thanks!

Its a challenge to print and I printed the parts many times till I got proper results that I could use for the model. The Plane is actually normal PLA (Innofill transparent) und is strong enough althoug its only one perimeter (~0,48mm). The plane has five flights now and it flew perfectly well right form the start. With the current setup it does about 140km/h and has flight times of 8-12minutes, depending on throttle management.

Heat was not an issue (yet) as the outside temp was only about 3°C. The motor and prop were balanced very well so no vibrations on the cell.

Plane has five flights on the clock now with 38 Minutes flying time in total. No sign of cracks or other stress marks so fingers crossed.

Currently printing a silver one with slightly changes settings. After that I want to do one in XT and do some high speed tests. 8)

• Like 3

Outstanding

Very Impressive

Based on your user name.

Why did you do a Spitfire and not a FW 190?

Very impressive!

How did you design the parts, decide on interal supports?

Wingsspan and weight?

Hey guys,

thanks for the nice comments. But the credit for the design does NOT go to me but to the guys at 3dlabprint.com. That is also why I built a spit and not a "Würger" :) All I did was print it, but for me that was challenge enough :p

The design in itself is quite a piece of genius as its geodesic inner support does not need a main spar and allows thin outer walls.

Wingspan is just under one meter, weight just under one kilo whereas the print itself is about 460g.

Was it just a test to see if it would fly or was it part of a bigger plan / project?

Nice job!!

Posted (edited) · I printed a Spitfire... and it flies :)

Hey WTFockewulf I fly model airplanes and found your thread while searching Google for people who have printed the 3dLabPrint Spitfire.

I am going to use the smaller motor option on the first model using ColorFabb BLUE GREY PLA. I already have the recommended battery and Speed controller so initial cost is lower.

Just interested to know if you had any tips when setting up the printer.   Did you use the supplied profiles for Cura, or did you modify them.  Using the UM2.

Nigel

I have used XT on a few other prints and I find increasing the material flow to 110% makes for a very strong single skin which is very flexible.  

Anyway, hope your silver model is coming out well.   I may do the Thunderbolt in silver if the Spitfire comes out OK.

Edited by Guest

Hey WTFockewulf I fly model airplanes and found your thread while searching Google for people who have printed the 3dLabPrint Spitfire.

I am going to use the smaller motor option on the first model using ColorFabb BLUE GREY PLA. I already have the recommended battery and Speed controller so initial cost is lower.

Just interested to know if you had any tips when setting up the printer.   Did you use the supplied profiles for Cura, or did you modify them.  Using the UM2.

Nigel

I have used XT on a few other prints and I find increasing the material flow to 110% makes for a very strong single skin which is very flexible.  

Anyway, hope your silver model is coming out well.   I may do the Thunderbolt in silver if the Spitfire comes out OK.

Hi Nigel,

Yep, the silver Spitfire and the following silver P-51 both came out fine. The Mustang will fly this weekend.

I cant give you any tips with cura, I sliced all parts in Simplify3D which worked very well for me. What I did do in S3D was print with a layer width of 0,48mm. It doesnt do much to the weight but the parts are a lot stronger. Turn cooling off completely for good layer adhaesion and something I did do was print every part on ist own. I did not print the entire wing in one inning like stepan does in the videos.

Good luck printing the spit! Mine has about 30 flights on it now and I am constantly suprised about how great it flies.

Rgds,

Philipp

Hallo, kannst du mir bitte die Einstellungen für deinen UM nennen? Ich habe hässliche PLA-Punkte auf der Oberfläche die ich nicht wegbekomme.

Danke

Wow, that's a beautiful one.

One tip: don't leave it in your car in the sun. I have had several PLA-models warping even in moderate weather (about 15°C, and a light sun with thin high clouds).

Philipp, may I apologise for not replying to your comments. I have had to look after poorly parents since I posted my comment and I have not had much time to play as of yet.

I have seen somewhere else that increasing the nozzle slightly over that which is installed can have beneficial results. I have printed a few parts and they are a few grammes underweight compared to those on the video collection. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to get all the parts printed and build something. I have a plan to print everything again because I realised that printing parts together leaves dirty edges which can be avoided when printing single parts.

I will give it a try and report back some time soon.

Thank you again.

Nigel

I know there hasn't been anyone posting in this thread for a while but I recently bought the mustang plans and have been having less than great results on my UM2. I am using simplify3D and would love some info on all your settings to get the print quality up. I am running PLA+ which normally prints great but I am really struggling with this plane.

@JUSS10 post a photo of your issues.

Hi WTFockewulf,

could you provide your Factory File in Symplify 3D? I can´t print plane in the required quality. Thx

Juss I am using S3D with much improved results while printing the Spitfire. The mustang will be just the same I am sure we can compare notes. I use Innofil PLA for my prints which come out fantastic.

IMG_2083.thumb.JPG.f33473845d076d9a1ad9e270e638d31f.JPG

I found the trick was to alter the following.

Nozzle diameter 0.48

Extrusion multiplier 0

Layer height 0.25

Material 218°C

First layer height 80%

First layer Width 100%

First layer speed 35%

Default Print speed 65mm/s

Outline underspeed 70%

X/Y movement speed 200mm/s

Include a skirt to your liking and set the bed to 60°C for the whole print.

When I was ready to print I took the bed up to 75°C then went straight to printing. It usually starts printing when the bed cools to 70°C

I coated the glass with thinned PVA which prevents warping when printing the wings. Absolutely the only solution I found that worked. I also printed the larger parts on their own which helps. Cover the front of the printer to prevent drafts. I also partly covered over the printer to hold in some heat. If you over do the cover the filament starts to grind.

It is also important to double up on the lower layers as per the instructional videos I found.

Come back with some pictures when you have had a go with these alterations.

IMG_2083.thumb.JPG.f33473845d076d9a1ad9e270e638d31f.JPG

Hey FLG,

that Spit Looks brilliant! Congrats on a clean print. Have you flown it yet?

After many many flights I have passed mine on to a flying Buddy and am currently printing a P-38 for myself...

Rgds and Merry X-Mas,

Philipp

Hi Philipp, yes and it files very well indeed. I printed one before this one which suffered some warping during printing. I still flew it and did some destruction testing to see how much I could knock it about. Tougher than they look you know :)

Over Christmas I am going to have a go at the Zivko EDGE Hannes Arch replica, and maybee the P-47 or the 109G. Going for the higher powered unit this time now I know they fly well. Good luck with the P-38. Looks a fun print!

Regards

Nigel

Hi Philipp, yes and it files very well indeed.  I printed one before this one which suffered some warping during printing.  I still flew it and did some destruction testing to see how much I could knock it about.  Tougher than they look you know :)

Over Christmas I am going to have a go at the Zivko EDGE Hannes Arch replica, and maybee the P-47 or the 109G.   Going for the higher powered unit this time now I know they fly well.    Good luck with the P-38.  Looks a fun print!

Regards

Nigel

Hey Nigel,

Edge and Aichi are both on my next to do list :) I want to fly the Aichi off snow, god prevail we get any. Austria without snow in december... can you imagine?

The Spitfire is a tough little bugger as are all 3dlabprint designs. The 38 is coming along nicely. Aim is to fly it in my days off around new years.

Wish you and everybody reading this a very merry Christmas!

Rgds,

Philipp

IMG_5134.thumb.JPG.7a7fcfce468cb8f39381aa4fa3ca6e1e.JPG

IMG_5148.thumb.JPG.011a133a768525e5860a499e134e2030.JPG

IMG_5149.thumb.JPG.a701035159e21fe61c4399c413e91e61.JPG

IMG_5150.thumb.JPG.f676be677c12d173adb69c6eef58d424.JPG

IMG_5134.thumb.JPG.7a7fcfce468cb8f39381aa4fa3ca6e1e.JPG

IMG_5148.thumb.JPG.011a133a768525e5860a499e134e2030.JPG

IMG_5149.thumb.JPG.a701035159e21fe61c4399c413e91e61.JPG

IMG_5150.thumb.JPG.f676be677c12d173adb69c6eef58d424.JPG

• Like 2

And a Merry Christmas to you too. The P-38 has many parts doesn't it !!

I like Austria without snow, but then I am bias as when I visit it's on 2 wheels and usually summer. I can't believe you have no snow now. I have seen some people flying float planes off snow so why not. Unfortunately it's a big round trip for me to find somewhere to fly off water . . . . or snow for that matter.

Time to go and see what's under the tree . . . .