I printed a Spitfire... and it flies :)

WTFockewulf

Posted · I printed a Spitfire... and it flies :)

Hi, how are you?

I also bought a set files too. I got the 109.

A quick question, I was wondering if you use Cura 2.3 because I have tried to print these parts with in surface mode as instructed but it doesn't seem to recognize the internal supports, the layer preview only shows the outer skin and the tunnel for the servo wire. Funny thing is that it gradually 'sees' the supports if I rotate the model in Cura but this is pointless, as you know these parts need to be printed at a natural angle to be usable.

If you aren't a Cura user can you tell me what software you use that works?

Many thanks,

Bram

Hi, I've tried to send this a couple of time so apologies if its a repeat.

A quick question, I also bought a set files. I got the 109. I was wondering if you use Cura 2.3 because I have tried to print these parts in 'Surface' mode as instructed but it doesn't seem to recognize the internal supports, the layer preview only shows the outer skin and the tunnel for the servo wire. Funny thing is that it gradually 'sees' the supports if I rotate the model in Cura but this is pointless, as you know these parts need to be printed at a natural angle to be usable.

If you aren't a Cura user can you tell me what software you used?

Thanks,

Bram

Walls in cura are not sliced if too thin. yes if you rotate 45 degrees the wall might appear slightly wider. One solution is to scale the plane up. Another is to lie to the slicer and tell it the nozzle is smaller. In cura 2.3 you just tell it "line width" is smaller. Try 0.3mm at first and if all the walls are visible keep increasing that until it is close to actual nozzle size but still prints all the walls.

• 5 weeks later...

Bram, sorry for the long wait I have not been on the forum for a while and I don't get notifications for some reason!

I have used Cura with some success but S3D is a much bedder slicer. Yes you have to pay a bit for it, but it has made printing much easier than it was with Cura and the results are much much better. You should be able to build with Cura don't get me wrong, but you will get more reliable results I thing with S3D.

Nigel

Hi @FLG,

thank you for your reply!

I am curious as to why you are not getting messages. Did you enable to settings in your account to receive notifications by email?

Could it be they end up in a spam filter or something like that?

Looking forward hearing from you!

I was wondering if you use Cura 2.3 because...

Bram

Hi Bram,

I ordered the EASYMAX from 3DLabprint..and I am struggling with exactly the same problem since days !!!

I do have an UM3, Slicer is Cura 2.3.1...and I am unable as well to slice the wing-parts with the internal supports as well as the fuselage-parts.

I asked my 3D printshop where I bought my UM3 for support. They did look into the STL files with Autocad and came to the conclusion that these files have errors due to a missing wall.

If you zoom into the wing part within Cura then you see that the internal suppors are not touching the wall. Might this be the problem ?

In addition, if i just take one of the five wing parts and slice with selected Prusa i3 I am successfull to print this one on a i3 clone. If I select more than one of the wing-pieces (5) then one of the five do not have internal supports. If I remove then this one, the next one has missing internal supports etc. same procedure until one last remains and this one has then as well no internal supports.

This is very strange behaviour in Cura 2.3.1 !!! ...and therefore I am not able to print these famous R/C model pieces with my UM3 :-(((

If I select the same 5 wing-pieces in Cura 15.04.6 and look into the layers view, all internal supports are shown (and I assume then printed as well)...

...but as far as I understand as 3D print newbie this Cura version does not support my UM3.

So, finally I am locked :-((

If there is anybody out there who could help me/us, this would be very appreciated.

There is a wing test-part on thingiverse if someone wants to reproduce the error in Cura 2.3.1: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1118879

Of course I tried with Cura 2.4 Beta as well, without success

regards

Hermann

Wow, this really cool !!!

Hi dear friend

I tried make spitfire as you .

But my ultimaker 2 , doesnt make it ,I dont have true settings for cura

My plane wings and body have thich walls and usually cura does not sense inside of wings .It makes wings only wall.

Please may you share your cura settings with me ?