strange things happen printing large vase on XT and NGEN ColorFabb

ili_olo

Posted · strange things happen printing large vase on XT and NGEN ColorFabb

Hi, with my UM2 I'm testing new materials to improve heat resistance of my objects.

The object is a lampshade (similar a big vase) approximately 20 cm x 20 cm x 20 cm, wall 0.8 mm no infill, no top, 0.4 nozzle, 0.2 layer height.

with PLA (colorfabb or Ultmaker or others) everything is fine, but using xt or ngen I have a few issues.

main setting:

xt: temperature 245, speed 40 mm\s, fan 50%,

ngen: temperature 230, 40 mm\s, fan 50%

issues:

over to a certain height (around over 16 cm), things start to go bad..

Cattura.thumb.JPG.0fd11bd85b9edf3f45e1efb5f983fadf.JPG

---the shape is deformed, the circular shape becomes oval

---strange surface artefacts appears, a sort of blobbing (particullary in xt). It seems a sort of scar

---layer adhesion gets worse

the bottom part (first 16 cm) is good, so I tried to divide the object into 2 different file....

and inexplicably if printed separately the upper part is ok!

I think the problem is also related to the specify shape (overhangs and changin angle), but do not understand why it only occurs over a certain height and only using XT and NGEN (with PLA no issue).

any suggestions on how I could approach to this?

now i'm thinking to try a larger nozzle (0.8) and spiralizing the contours

thanks for any suggestions.

filippo

www.filippolosilab.com

5a3318375a32c_File_000(1).thumb.jpeg.5fc63dea9c6df2a211c2710c8b2c2be8.jpeg

thanx Labern, It could be a good idea to mirror the object and to shift large part at the bottom. In this case I have to make some changes to the design, since now in the small part there is the fitting for the lamp holder, and as it is now i can't print it at the top.

Anyway i hope that spiralize and large nozzle could fix the problem.

Cattura.thumb.JPG.7ee93bbaf08cce664c03dc07af00f150.JPG

spiralize only works with solid models, and will also destroy your lamp holder.

Spriralize can only spiral one outer wall, and you model has an in and outside wall.

So to use spiralize I had to make a solid model and generate two separate gcodes: one for the first 20 layers (lamp holder) without spiralize and another for the rest of the lamp with spiralize. Then i had to mix the 2 gcodes with swap at z plugin (or with my text editor) and cross my fingers...

It might work?

Was thinking about that also, but did not know if you could handle this ;)

Can you see in the layer preview if it is working? (it should)

yes, in the layer preview it seems to work without any problem.

i'll test soon to print with the large nozzle 0.6