Prints always 0.4 mm to small

Heljee

Posted · Prints always 0.4 mm to small

Hi! I was just wondering why almost everything I print are approximately 0.4 mm to small in x and y direction (not in z direction)? This applies both for holes/circles and squared objects.

Example: I want to print a rectangular object 40x60 mm, with a hole in the middle, 20 mm diameter.

The results will be approximately 39,6x59,6 mm, with a diameter of 19,6 mm.

Also, the nozzle size is 0,4 mm, which is the size that are missing in all directions (except z direction). It feels like the printer is skipping one line/path.

Or could this be because of shrinkage? Is it possible that PLA plastic is always shrinking approximately 0.4 mm, no matter how large the object/feature is?

Posted · Prints always 0.4 mm to small

Inner vertical holes will indeed be about .5mm smaller. Also outer corners. This is because the hot PLA cools a bit in a fraction of a second and so shrinks slightly and as it is being placed acts like "snot" (stuff from your nose). Like a liquid rubber band. Because it is so stretchy it is pulling inward - but still in liquid phase - and so outer corners and inner holes are all too small. Especially on sharp curvatures like small holes or sharp corners (like those on the tip of a star).

However the sides of your rectangular object are not affected by this. I'm not sure why that would be smaller. .4mm versus 60mm is 0.6% which seems a bit high. Typically PLA shrinks more like .3% from the glass temp down to room temp. So I'm not certain what is causing that but I'm not particularly surprised.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 16 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies