Did I kill an UM2 by feeding it UltiGCode via OctoPrint?

photoresistor

Posted · Did I kill an UM2 by feeding it UltiGCode via OctoPrint?

Hi all, I was just setting up an Ultimaker 2 - got a few test prints run out via the SD card and everything was running smoothly. I like to print via OctoPrint, so I got to setting that up. I uploaded some gcode fresh out of cura (without changing the GCode to RepRap) and had the anticipated machine/print failures.

After some restarts, I find that I'm no longer able to use the front dial/button. The dial still rotates and navigates the screen menu, but pressing the button in no longer confirms a setting. Mechanically, it's still actuating, and the cables for the front panel are all still tight, and I've reinstalled (updated to the latest) firmware. Anything I'm missing? Did I do any permanent harm? What are my next steps?

TL;DR: trying to print via octoprint without changing GCode to Reprap. Button on front of machine no longer works.

I've never heard of any g-code messing with your front panel (or octo print messing it up either). As there are multiple people that have succesfully printed this way, i'm pretty sure it's not a software thing.

Sounds like a hardware issue. There could be an electrical problem with the wires or the encoder.

I have seen this issue on one machine where a thin strand of filament ended up inside the knob housing between the knob and the housing preventing the button from being pushed far enough to register. There is a small hole in the housing inside the printer where you can push to remove the knob and clean out the housing.