Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
gareee

Best uses for the .6mm and .8mm UM+ printers?

There might have been talk about this back when the olssen block came out, but what would you use the .6mm and .8mm nozzles for?

I get that the .25 is great for small stuff like jewelry, and I printed something larger with the .8mm yesterday. I'm printing with the .6mm right now, but since there was no real documentation about them (other than how to swap them out) what would be good uses for the two larger nozzels?

.4 seems to be the best "go to" nozzle so far.

Maybe for a larger print with 100% infill for strength, like a coat hook, or hardware?

.6mm is twice as fast and .8mm is 4x as fast.  I did most of my quadcopter parts with .8mm.  If you want functional things the .8mm is great.  If you want something that is a masterpiece then go with .4mm.

With the .8mm I usually do 0.8mm shell - that's just one pass!  And creates very strong parts.  It's also useful for making a vase or a cup or something out of transparent PLA.  Transparent PLA looks best with very thick layers and just one pass.  0.8mm or 1.0mm nozzles are great for that and do thick layers like .6mm thick.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I like using the .6 or large nozzles for Wood Filaments it gives me nice results and i'm not afraid of clogging the nozzles anymore :)

Obviously it's also interesting for printing faster, if you want to do some rapid prototyping with no care for surface quality you can go for the 1mm nozzle and print fat layers (.5mm).

It also reduces the time if you do .8 walls and it also has an impact on infill (a 20% infill with a 0.8mm nozzle will take less time than with a .4mm nozzle and be much stronger)

• Like 1