Search Engine

SandervG

Posted · Search Engine

I thought it was working better, but can't find the topic were someone posted about glowfill destroying a nozzle. I remember uploading pictures there of my nozzle.

Tried:

glowfill nozzle Titus(nothing)

glowfill nozzle(only one, not the topic I was looking for)

glowfill(3 topics on glowfill now, still no cigar)

glow fill(nop nothing at all)

Google: "Ultimaker glowfill nozzle". First hit:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/9189-um2-nozzle-deteriorating-and-desintegrating

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Search Engine

I am also in for some filter options. Most important in my opinion:

• search in topic subject <-> search full text

• only show hits containing all keywords

• only from subforum (multiple choice)

• allow quotation marks to enforce a match of exactly the search text

• only show threads with (at least xxx) responses

• only show answered questions ( you might want to expand that to any tags)

• only show hits in "best answer"s

of course something like the vbulletin mask shown by frederiek would be awesome.

And some useful sorting:

sort by...

• relevance ( i guess most search engines have some internal match rating)

• date of last post in thread

• number of answers

• date of initial post

• most liked posts

• number of views

• maybe average points of users who have responded ? (-> to find experts' threads ?)

just a few options that come to mind.

exactly! great suggestions imo!

I would like to support the suggestion on searching the forum with a sort by date of initial post. I am experiencing major warping issues with ABS and there are 1000s of articles that mention this problem. I'd like to find the latest post on ABS warping and if possible condense the hacks/suggestions/solutions into a list thereby efficiently resolving the problems I'm experiencing with ABS. Thank you in Advance.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Search Engine

Search has been a solved problem for decades. Why is it so hard to implement it properly?

When I type "foo bar baz" I expect to *ONLY* see articles containing all three words, not articles containing any three. The default should always be conjunction, never disjunction.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Search Engine

ok, I need to bump this topic again, since I was just reminded how bad the search situation is for people trying to come here for help.

I talk with people about UM and tell them to use this site, and often they respond "how to you use that site? I can never find what I am looking for, so I gave up."

This horribly malfunctioning search box has been driving people away since the release of the new site. I would implore you to use some common sense and turn it off or make it into a link that explains how to use google to search the site, syntax like this:

site:ultimaker.com -search string here-

this would be the sensible thing to do since:

1. People who use the site never use that search box, they use google.

2. New people who accidentally try to use it end up leaving since it's a total failure.

Posted · Search Engine

Hi Peetersm,

we are far from a perfect search engine, but last week we have made some improvements to the search engine. I'm waiting to get a full disclosure about what configuration we have now but I believe it has been improved. You no longer have infinite hits and the hits actually do make sense. Has the reason for this reply been that you could not find what you were looking for? What were you looking for?

For example, I have just searched how to unclog nozzle, as I can imagine someone searches for that, and I find all kind of topics with help.

Thank you for your patience :)

Posted · Search Engine

I'm also still getting sick of the search, sometimes it actually works and I am amazed rather than normal.

The problem with Labern's example already starts with the fact the SITE is being given as the first tab, rather than the forum:

https://ultimaker.com/search?keyword=information%20during%20print&category=0&type=0

Imo there a little topics the site gives a better page for than the forum(you can see from what page the request came, right? Then show me the forum is I search using the forum).

Also I believe hits in the title of a topic should be prioritized, especially if there are multiple words in the same order.

Posted (edited) · Search Engine

Agreed. I'll mention this (priority from titles) soon to the dev's. But 'information during print'  are some pretty generic keywords which are probably in every thread.

It should show forum first (when searching from forums), maybe it was overlooked during implementation.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Search Engine

When I search "information during print" it also does not find anything relevant. Is searching for an exact string, using brackets, not implemented ?

When I google "information during print" + ultimaker, the correct forum post is the first in the list...

Posted · Search Engine

That is what I am gonna ask, about the brackets / strings etc.

Right now I don't know.

Posted (edited) · Search Engine

where IS the search function in this forum?

In all standard forum software packages that's a prominent link in the forum-list but on

https://ultimaker.com/en/community

I can't find any search functionality.

Instead there is a link "safe filter" that I don't understand since I didn't define any "filter" and there isn't anything to filter in a list of forums anyway as opposed to a list of threads of postings..

Edited by Guest

Posted · Search Engine

where IS the search function in this forum?

In all standard forum software packages that's a prominent link in the forum-list but on

https://ultimaker.com/en/community

I can't find any search functionality.

Instead there is a link "safe filter" that I don't understand since I didn't define any "filter" and there isn't anything to filter in a list of forums anyway as opposed to a list of threads of postings..

Its up by your Profile name

5a331ada0938e_Screenshot(91).thumb.png.0bad17ea1fd1141f36089be349a86bae.png

5a331ada0938e_Screenshot(91).thumb.png.0bad17ea1fd1141f36089be349a86bae.png