What is the plan for the GO?

Posted · What is the plan for the GO?

In my perspective the UM2 GO has always looked like an almost-awesome machine that could be made awesome (Though I know it serves many people well as-s). There's always been a fatal flaw keeping me from buying one. Upon original release the big crippling factor was the missing heated bed. Many months later that void was filled by a third party, but I no longer needed a traveling UM2 by that point.

Once again I'm in need of a UM2 that can venture to multiple states and countries more easily. And once again the GO is looking Almost-Awesome. Does Ultimaker plan to fill the current void by providing a free "+" upgrade kit with the current GO sales. or plan to have a GO++ version with both heated bed and upgraded extruder/hot end available?

My credit card will soon be charged for some sort of fully functional traveling system, or for high shipping charges for one of my full sized UM2s. @SandervG is a GO+ of some flavor soon to be an option? :O

Thanks,

Chris

It won't be getting the + kit and it has been said that UM won't sell and heated bed for it.

I will be getting a plus kit for mine and adapting it anyway.

The 3Dsolex heated bed works very well and along with the Olsson Block it has turned it into my favorite machine. I can print a lot faster on it then my other UM2 with the same quality.

• Like 4

UM2+ kit - I don't have one but I understand it:

upgrades fans

increases nozzle heater power from 25W to 35W

upgrades feeder (feeder opens like the iroberti and is 2X more powerful)

olsson block

If you get that "3rd party HB kit" it comes with a 39W nozzle heater so you are covered there. The olsson block you can also get 3rd party and the feeder upgrades you can download from youmagine (e.g. I like the meduza 2X adapter combined with IrobertI feeder).

I find the original feeder is fine for me. My um2go has the HB and the olsson block and it's my main printer. I have 4 Ultimaker printers and I use the um2go the most by far.

If you really want the 2X meduza upgrade I have all the parts (I had to get 5X minimum of all the parts unfortunately so I have lots of extras) - I can probably sell them to you for about $5 and you can print the rest. The meduza upgrade will get rid of all your skipping related underextrusion but you will still get underextrusion caused by filament slipping just like the old UMO.

Lots of great printed fan shrouds also on youmagine.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/belt-geared-um2-feeder-upgrade

• Like 1

Since the feeder motor it's different you should ask if someone can check if the size it's the same. The geared feeder probably affects the filament spool position and the new fan cap might affect the bed size. So, I would wait for the single parts to be available in a future?

The fan shroud will be ok.

As the feeder is on the other side of the machine it will be interesting to see how it will fit. But I'm sure there will be a way to get it to work some how.

Maybe a minor detail but the new feeder can be manually opened, only by pushing against the spring, so you'll always need a hand for this, while with roberts feeder you can just leave it open...

• Like 1

Can someone please suggest a good printable replacement shroud for the 2Go?

Yes. @Labern gave a great repsonse.

Thinking as a consumer however my brain starts clicking through the "What will it cost me?" questions. $1450 base price + $100 heated bed + $395 plus kit = $1945.00 So almost $500 for me to manually bring a GO up to current UM2+ status. That's over 1/3 of the original purchase price to be spent in upgrades. I'm sure the end product would be quite pleasing, but the price tag makes it prohibitive for me to pull the trigger.

@Gr5 is always good at shooting down delusions others may have of finding greener grass for half the price elsewhere. ;) So if I'm wrong, please fire away at this line of thinking to set me on the right path, GR5: An Orion is $1045 + $85 for an e3D hot end kit (for 260C capability). Heated bed is standard. The shipping box is 30" x 16" x 16", which fits into current airline limits for checked baggage without extra charges, so I can take it wherever for the cost of one checked bag. So maybe this $800 price difference for similar performance could make it worth the addition of a 1.75mm delta printer to the stable.

• Like 1

Maybe a minor detail but the new feeder can be manually opened, only by pushing against the spring, so you'll always need a hand for this, while with roberts feeder you can just leave it open...

That's good to know. I've come to rely on that convenience.

I've heard bad things about "all metal" hot ends including e3D. PLA just sticks to everything except PEEK and teflon.

Can't speak to the Orion. At least the company has been making printers for more than a year. It usually seems to take a year of shipments and customer complaints before these small companies have most of the bugs worked out of their new products.

Just a note. Pla sticks to peek like glue

Just ptfe then. It sticks too well to metals also.

I recon the UM2go is better then the UM2. Print Quality is slightly better. Faster travel speeds without skipping. Faster acceleration without ghosting, Easy as to carry around.

Like Gr5 I use it the most out of any of my printers.

So even though you might spend more you are just brining it up to the cost the UM2. Which I think it's better then the UM2 so it's worth it.

Maybe if you are lucky 3dsolex will come out with a cheaper version of the um2+ upgrade kit.

I've heard bad things about "all metal" hot ends including e3D.  PLA just sticks to everything except PEEK and teflon.  

The issue with E3D is there confusing versions. There are f.e. multiple versions of the v6. With regard to the 3mm bowden version.... don't do it if you want to print PLA . The "light" version may be better for PLA, but is only able to go to 245C.... so imho not suited for ABS.

Maybe if you are lucky 3dsolex will come out with a cheaper version of the um2+ upgrade kit.

I trust at some point UM will probably sell the feeder separately.... at least I hope so for people with a relativity new printer....

Thanks for the input @Gr5 . I did some more reading about the Orions, and found quite a few reports of printers that were damaged during shipping. So it probably wouldn't suit my travelling needs at all.

Although I want a Go, I couldn't justify buying one right now, so I convinced one of the my UM2s it could fit in the overhead bin of an airliner. It just needed some coercion:

20160228_190828_resized.thumb.jpg.517fb13fd67abc239fded406bde6b86f.jpg

I haven't reconstituted the machine yet. Hopefully she goes back together as easily as she came apart

20160228_190828_resized.thumb.jpg.517fb13fd67abc239fded406bde6b86f.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! You got a um2 into that little suitcase? wow.