Missing parts in 3D Modeling when printing

Posted · Missing parts in 3D Modeling when printing

Hello,

My name is Tidusho. I've just bought a Ultimaker 2 but I had got some problems. This object was created by 3DS Max 2015 and exported to .STL. After reviewing on Cura and saving to .GCode, there are missing parts. I don't know how, please guide me.

Pic_01.thumb.png.3ca437b9346803bad1c682653acf7fc8.png

Pic_02.thumb.png.da6cc9e1ea9e28a8ce07ce22c917041d.png

Pic_03.thumb.png.f24d598d0f990d948b323c6306199d3d.png

Regards,

Pic_01.thumb.png.3ca437b9346803bad1c682653acf7fc8.png

Pic_02.thumb.png.da6cc9e1ea9e28a8ce07ce22c917041d.png

Pic_03.thumb.png.f24d598d0f990d948b323c6306199d3d.png

From what I can see, you're model has little to no thickness and that is why it is not printing most of it. Make the shell thicker. Use the shell modifier in max and set it to inwards (obviously)

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can see, you're model has little to no thickness and that is why it is not printing most of it. Make the shell thicker. Use the shell modifier in max and set it to inwards (obviously)

Thanks for your support. This is my model which designed in Maya and used to make a short animation. There were some problems when printing. I am worry if I have to re-build whole model for 3d printing.

Capture_01.thumb.JPG.b3b346eca404b150f788d334d6c7acaa.JPG

Capture_02.thumb.JPG.65f231a17b00cdf423eb9313ecabaa39.JPG

Capture_03.thumb.jpg.fd80f5f76f58c45e5bf29d1c5cd3143a.jpg

Capture_01.thumb.JPG.b3b346eca404b150f788d334d6c7acaa.JPG

Capture_02.thumb.JPG.65f231a17b00cdf423eb9313ecabaa39.JPG

Capture_03.thumb.jpg.fd80f5f76f58c45e5bf29d1c5cd3143a.jpg

Posted (edited) · Missing parts in 3D Modeling when printing

modelling for cad, and animation, and games and 3d printing are all very different. Also size matters and shell thinkness is the most important in 3d printing as when you print small your shell tends to become too thin to print. If you make the model solid then you control how thick it is in cura. I did read a slicer that was going to thicken the shell for stuff that is too small, which would be a good feature for people who cant model and want to print random stuff off the web. As most things are not designed to print.

To make youre model good, just close all the holes on ALL elements and then activate the intersections from the advanced menu in cura that way you dont need to boolean or weld verts and you should still be able to animate it just as before. I use 15.04.2. You should be fine then. I would print the body in one, and the head seperately in two halves for maximum quality, or just experiment for yourself as you might not care about quality like i do. Lol. Good luck.

Edited by Guest

modelling for cad, and animation, and games and 3d printing are all very different. Also size matters and shell thinkness is the most important in 3d printing as when you print small your shell tends to become too thin to print. If you make the model solid then you control how thick it is in cura. I did read a slicer that was going to thicken the shell for stuff that is too small, which would be a good feature for people who cant model and want to print random stuff off the web. As most things are not designed to print.

To make youre model good, just close all the holes on ALL elements and then activate the intersections from the advanced menu in cura that way you dont need to boolean or weld verts and you should still be able to animate it just as before. I use 15.04.2. You should be fine then. I would print the body in one, and the head seperately in two halves for maximum quality, or just experiment for yourself as you might not care about quality like i do. Lol. Good luck.

I haven't still found any solution for my model yet and now I also get a problem with other model.

Capture.thumb.JPG.cf6b338bb1e8e880584eab333207e15a.JPG

Capture_02.thumb.JPG.ad504ec37e04b7c772cc6e6038bd0314.JPG

Could you please guide me in setting these files on Cura? I can't print it by ABS without problem :|

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4SA9e2zeJN7T2Q1a1h3NGdaWW8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4SA9e2zeJN7SDQxc2FBSndnR1k/view?usp=sharing

Capture.thumb.JPG.cf6b338bb1e8e880584eab333207e15a.JPG

Capture_02.thumb.JPG.ad504ec37e04b7c772cc6e6038bd0314.JPG

Edited by Guest

I think I heard somewhere before that 3DS Max has trouble making watertight STL's,

you might want to run the STL's trough Meshmixer to see what the inspector finds, and maybe adjust the way you draw.

I honestly dont know why people even export stls files. I never do and have zero issues. Just export an obj. Obj is limited by polycount, but for cad stuff you will always be fine. Its into the millions so dont even worry about it. I use millions of polys frequently and have no problems. I also do almost all my slicing in max or maya and they produce identical results. If your model is not closed then you need to close it. Auto capping does not always work the way you expect.

And @tidusho, seriously man, dont try to print that in one go, do the legs seperately.

Also why abs? unless you really need to? but just print with pla. There are no real advantages other than maybe heat for abs so if its going to be outside or something in the sunlight. Some people print with abs for no reason at all.

Edited by Guest