Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Papabear1609

PLA Information

Hi there,

I would like to know a bit of info regarding the PLA material.

It often breaks up in the tube and causes problems with the feeding of the material, Is there a better material to use that is more consistent and just of a better quality?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi it would be useful to know what PLA you are using, manufacturer and type/colour; also what printer are you using. I have been printing for 2,5 years, probably 80% PLA and have never experienced a break in the Bowden tube.

I have had maybe one PLA break int the tube.

Keep your PLA in a big zip lock bag with desiccant when you aren't using it.

And of course it matters where you are getting the PLA from. I have tried a few brands that just didn't work well. Sometimes they would print great, sometimes it would crap out. I think the Ultimaker brand PLA is pretty good. Right now I am sticking with PLA from 3D Universe, but they are in the USA.

There is a ridiculous number of materials out there now. Good luck with your search. It is worth it to pay a little more for something that doesn't cause problems.

Ultimaker had issues with there filament for a while where if you left it in the machine overnight or sometimes when printing it would break. you can test this by cutting 1m off the roll and taping it every 200mm in a straight line. the next day if its broken then you have a bad roll.

This is not normal for PLA and should remain strong. Sometimes old rolls can have some issues also.

you can get some temporary success by either heating the roll in the oven at 70deg for 30mins or putting it in how water and letting to dry before you print. You can search how to do this properly.

Ultimaker PLA is now good and without these problems, colorfabb, diamond age and faberdashery are all good brands of PLA also

I see you are in the UK; Faberdashery make excellent filament. You can also get good PLA from Colorfabb in Holland, who maybe marginally more expensive with the freight but given they are outside of the UK they deliver very quickly