Um2+ stops extruding during print.

Posted (edited) · Um2+ stops extruding during print.

Why did you install the 1.75mm kit? Was there something about the 2.85mm filament that you didn't like?

Just curious. My biggest issue with the 2.85mm filament is that there doesn't seem to be as many supplier options. And I can't find anyone that sells BIG spools of 2.85mm filament.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Um2+ stops extruding during print.

Why did you install the 1.75mm kit? Was there something about the 2.85mm filament that you didn't like?

Just curious. My biggest issue with the 2.85mm filament is that there doesn't seem to be as many supplier options. And I can't find anyone that sells BIG spools of 2.85mm filament.

For me over in the USA the spool sizes are a tad smaller than even the ultimaker spool that came with the printer for the same price. Since Im starting out i was planning to just go through all kinds of materials to learn the quality and settings. A $20 spool of hatchback

( which looks great ) is much more sensible than a $40-$60 spool. And if im doing a bunch

of BS prints for scraps to see how they finish,sand and so on it's a smarter option.

Planned on keeping both, maybe even building another ultimaker type of printer and reusing one of the kits I have to have both options.

@giogiogio4 - I wish you pointed out this thread earlier.

I think you may have 2 different problems. One is that you are using the 1.75mm filament in the UM2+ printer. I haven't tried that yet. The feeder that comes with the UM2 doesn't handle 1.75mm very well as the filament is squeezed between the bearing and the knurled wheel and there is too much space such that the filament is barely squeezed.

I'm guessing this might be a possible problem, or the filament might be slipping completely off the bearing wheel and pushing the lever gets it back in place again. This was someone elses theory also up above. Maybe labern? Anyway your 1.75mm kit has never been tried on a UM2+ and maybe I should put something in the 1.75mm kit description stating that fact. I think you would have to print an iRoberti feeder to get it to work. Preferably with a meduza 2x adapter. And probably I'd print the iRoberti feeder mirror image as I think that's what you would need to do for you to not have to reverse the feeder stepper rotation direction. I am planning to sell parts for the meduza 2x converter. I feel bad for you because you have had such bad luck with the 1.75mm kit that I'll give you the meduza parts at cost if you want it. more info here:

http://gr5.org/med/

Oh and my other theory? Did you use the green part I sent with the kit? Did it fit properly? Or did you use the aluminum cylinder. The green part I sent you has a hole in it so you can see visually if the bowden is sitting nicely inside the teflon part. Did you look at it? Also make sure the teflon touches the green as shown with the arrow here - you don't want a gap. But I'm leaning towards the "um2+ feeder doesn't work with 1.75mm filament" thing. I'm getting my um2+ upgrade kit Monday so I can do some tests this coming week.

5a3319ad59b46_2016-01-3014_27_47b.thumb.jpg.d28cdd75366518e158a9161d7abdc2a4.jpg

5a3319ad59b46_2016-01-3014_27_47b.thumb.jpg.d28cdd75366518e158a9161d7abdc2a4.jpg

Oh. Except for one thing. I don't have any 1.75mm filament. :(

Yeah, I wish more people made 2.85mm filament.

I am in Illinois.

After trying a couple different cheap PLA's, I have settled on the PLA from 3D Universe. It is not $20 a spool, but it is less than Ultimaker brand filament.

I am super happy with the 3D Universe PLA. I am sure there are other great suppliers out there, but I have found one that I like.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/17420-looking-for-a-reliable-low-cost-filament-supplier?page=1&sort=

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/17005-makergeek-filament-versus-ultimaker-brand-filament

I think you may have 2 different problems.  One is that you are using the 1.75mm filament in the UM2+ printer.  I haven't tried that yet.  The feeder that comes with the UM2 doesn't handle 1.75mm very well as the filament is squeezed between the bearing and the knurled wheel and there is too much space such that the filament is barely squeezed.

I'm guessing this might be a possible problem, or the filament might be slipping completely off the bearing wheel and pushing the lever gets it back in place again.  This was someone elses theory also up above.  Maybe labern?  Anyway your 1.75mm kit has never been tried on a UM2+ and maybe I should put something in the 1.75mm kit description stating that fact.  I think you would have to print an iRoberti feeder to get it to work.  Preferably with a meduza 2x adapter.  And probably I'd print the iRoberti feeder mirror image as I think that's what you would need to do for you to not have to reverse the feeder stepper rotation direction.  I am planning to sell parts for the meduza 2x converter.  I feel bad for you because you have had such bad luck with the 1.75mm kit that I'll give you the meduza parts at cost if you want it.  more info here:

I was only having that issue after the fact it jammed.

When I first put the kit together I had no issues. The insert new material feature is a hit or miss with 1.75 . it would load everything just fine. Feeder works and everything. it would just reach the end and get stuck around the teflon part. But I usually did it by hand and had no issues printing. A good 20-40 Hours worth actually. No quality issues at all.

Then I started getting issues. I would hear a clicking or popping sound. And then look over and see the extruder not pushing anything out. I would check the feeder with move material and had no issues pushing or pulling the filament. I would even push it through by hand to check for clogs. All was clear. Start it back up and the same issue. The clicking sound came from the head area as well as the feeder.

I figured the filament was catching on something, Perhaps bending inside ( sometimes it would snap ). or it would catch a point, Then I figured the tension pushing back went into the feeder causing it to grind or not push forward anyone because it was stuck. Then me pushing the lever was simply giving it a new area to grab.

The issue was always easily spotted during the loading process or right at the start of a print because it would jam right there and not extrude. Sometimes I would have to hand feed it through the feeder because it was also jam right at the exit where it meets the tube.

if anything I think the biggest issue is simply too much space compared to the 2.85. if the 2.85 got even slightly stuck on a bevel or edge the feeder would just push it because it's big enough. While the 1.75mm just bends and curls in the same areas.

Anyways I changed the Teflon with the new one. For some reason the hole is smaller on this one compared to the one I got from you. I also checked out the green thing you gave me. Its a little shorter than the old one I got from you. So there is a tiny tiny bit of wiggle room. But it seems to be working. First time I loaded it, all good. Then I had to hand load it when I started a print because of the jamming.

The print has gone well with no issues. I want to try to get a Bowden tube. I have read a few users putting a 6od in a 4 and a 4od with a 2in into the machine. That might help because right now the bowden doesnt fit into the teflon, it just touches the edge. Even if lined up , there is still a tiny edge inside the teflon for the filament to catch onto.

If you can think of anything else that might cause tension on the filament im all ears. Honestly this isnt a problem to me. Im still learning and do enjoy taking it all apart and learning about it.The test print I made just came out perfect, better than ever. Im going to test a long print and see how that comes out.

And bam again. failed after a good hour.

Perhaps it's pulling back the filament on a retract, slips and is unable to push it back quick enough. Causing the filament to cool, then jams when it tries to push it back.

And because the retracked area is already worn down is unable to push it back. And the filament begins to curl. I am assuming this is it. also explains why my pushing the lever quick enough fixes it, because the filament didnt get a chance to cool.

Edited by Guest

I think you may have 2 different problems.  One is that you are using the 1.75mm filament in the UM2+ printer.  I haven't tried that yet.  The feeder that comes with the UM2 doesn't handle 1.75mm very well as the filament is squeezed between the bearing and the knurled wheel and there is too much space such that the filament is barely squeezed.

I'm guessing this might be a possible problem, or the filament might be slipping completely off the bearing wheel and pushing the lever gets it back in place again.  This was someone elses theory also up above.  Maybe labern?  Anyway your 1.75mm kit has never been tried on a UM2+ and maybe I should put something in the 1.75mm kit description stating that fact.  I think you would have to print an iRoberti feeder to get it to work.  Preferably with a meduza 2x adapter.  And probably I'd print the iRoberti feeder mirror image as I think that's what you would need to do for you to not have to reverse the feeder stepper rotation direction.  I am planning to sell parts for the meduza 2x converter.  I feel bad for you because you have had such bad luck with the 1.75mm kit that I'll give you the meduza parts at cost if you want it.  more info here:

Whats the main difference with that feeder? I noticed a good amount of feeders for print.

I dont mind checking it out. Maybe after you do a few test prints on your upgrade kit you could inform me? I can hold off til then. Just pick myself up some colorfab and print in 2.85 for awhile. Bummed out cuz I have a whole tub of 1.75 i wana get a crack at XD

In my experience UM2 knurled bolt doesn't work well with 1.75mm. I use MK7 from reprapworld.com (I have 4 from them bough on different times and all of them have a superb grip and they have the same measures) + IRobertsI + my Snap on guide changed https://www.youmagine.com/designs/snap-on-guide-for-iroberti-feeder-with-mk7-mk8

When using MK7 (if you choose this path) you need to triple check that the mk7 filament area it's perfectly aligned with the in/out, any misalignment will add friction and might make the filament snap.

Also 1.75 filament needs less (and this it's just a big IMO) spring tension. A good amount, but nothing compared to the pressure 2.85mm can resist. In exchange, you can do more retracts because you are moving more filament to print the same area.

If you use MK7 from reprapworld the esteps should be close to 195.2 using um2 0.9º standard feeder motor.

• Like 1

gio has a um2+ so he would need to double the steps from 195.2 to 390 steps/mm if he uses the MK7.

I don't have any 1.75mm filament so I can't really test my own kit. I guess I need to order some at some point.

I am hoping to be getting some 1.75mm bowdens within a month from 3dsolex.

gio has a um2+ so he would need to double the steps from 195.2 to 390 steps/mm if he uses the MK7.

I don't have any 1.75mm filament so I can't really test my own kit.  I guess I need to order some at some point.

good to know. When you get the bowdens I will order the feeder kit together with them and give it a go. Kinda wish Ultimaker had a 1.75mm upgrade kit. Would open up things for sure! :)

I don't have any 1.75mm filament so I can't really test my own kit.  I guess I need to order some at some point.

I use um2 feeder motor. As I said 0.9 400 steps revolution bought to ultimaker when it was posible. So it's the same number and just half for 1.8 200 steps.

Also will only work (perfect) if your mk7 is 11mm inner diameter like this https://reprapworld.com/?products_details&products_id/322/cPath/1616_1651 they have the pdf with the design. I got another really bad mk7 from a spain shop that needed 205.2. So start with 200 as general rule and adjust printing boxes or using this guide http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter's_Calibration_Guide (I don't like it much) or this one http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-calibrate-the-Extruder-on-your-3d-Printer/?ALLSTEPS

Edited by Guest

So any luck with the new feeder kit?