Ultimaker Original Heating Failed Error On First Use During Cura Setup

MSansom

Posted · Ultimaker Original Heating Failed Error On First Use During Cura Setup

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I bought my Ultimaker Original a while ago, successfully installed Cura 15.04 and then updated the Marlin firmware successfully. My problem however is when I try to run the checks while setting it up as a device for Cura 15.04 is says it can communicate with the printer but then it says "Heating Failed" on the controller screen and only achieves around 22-25 degrees out of 200.

I am currently examining this: http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Cura:_Temperature_measurement_problems to see if any of it is the problem and would appreciate any input from anyone about this problem. I will post a reply to this again when I have finished checking the printer against the information on the website just to update this topic.

Hope to hear from you guys soon so I can get up and running!

Ok, so I checked it against the page mentioned before and as far as I can see, everything is connected right including the heater wires (I have been through the entire build guide and checked absolutely everything). First question, should the display and the blue LED on the print head light up when it is connected to ONLY the mains power? Currently, they both light up only when connected to both mains and USB. Secondly, to elaborate on my previous problem, the controller screen starts to flicker and go off after the heating has failed. Does this mean the problem is with mains power not getting through or could it be a different problem? I have also tried everything with the power switch in both positions just to make sure the guide telling me to flick the switch towards the cable connections is right. Again, I look forward to hearing any suggestions from anyone with the knowledge who is kind enough to help! :-)

• 4 months later...

Do you get "heater error" or "heater stopped"? Does it happen when you start the print before it starts extruding? Or does it happen part way into the print. Does the heater always read between 17C and 25C before you start heating it? Does it still measure < 25C moments before the error? There are 20 variants on these errors. Please give more details.

heater error (as opposed to error stopped - temp sensor)

You get an error if the heater can't move a certain amount in a certain time while driving full power (when it is close to goal temp it typically runs well below full power):

Firmware

Version

14.09 - does not have the feature

14.12 oct 16, 2014 - feature introduced. 20C in 20 Seconds

14.12.1 dec 15, 2014 - from 20C to 10C (still in 20 seconds)

15.01 jan 14, 2015 - from 20 secs to 30 secs (now 10C in 30 seconds)

Hello

The heater always read about 22-26C.

When I try to heut up for PLA the temparature does not gow up. after 20-30s the display begin to flicker and on the display it prints "heating failed".

Its the same problem when I just try to heat up the heating Plate or just the nozzle.

I have installed the newest firmware.

UMO or UM2? If UM2 then it's probably K1 is bad. K1 supplies 24V to the servos and the heaters. I'm guessing the motors don't move either - try homing the bed in the advanced menu. If the bed won't move then that's the problem. You can either jumper over K1 (it's really not needed) or contact your reseller and get a new circuit board from them. Link them to this thread.

If the motors *do* move then you probably have loose wires connecting to your 2 heaters (bed and nozzle). check that they didn't fall out of the board under your printer. It's easy to get to this board only 1 or 2 screws.

UMO or UM2?  If UM2 then it's probably K1 is bad.  K1 supplies 24V to the servos and the heaters.  I'm guessing the motors don't move either - try homing the bed in the advanced menu.  If the bed won't move then that's the problem.  You can either jumper over K1 (it's really not needed) or contact your reseller and get a new circuit board from them.  Link them to this thread.

If the motors *do* move then you probably have loose wires connecting to your 2 heaters (bed and nozzle).  check that they didn't fall out of the board under your printer.  It's easy to get to this board only 1 or 2 screws.

Its a UMO+, I think i've found the problem.

On my board is missing the two jumper safety1 and savety2. They cut the

electricity to the heater etc.

Does any body know what type of heat sensor is used in a Mingda 6C printer