Simplify3D vs Cura

kenjo

Posted (edited) · Simplify3D vs Cura

Wow that's the most stupid video about slicers ever...

S3D it's better than cura in many aspects BUT that video test it's so wrong. Also S3D default profile it's really really horrible. And yes s3d it's much better than old cura but not muuch better than the new cura.

Worse slicer comparison video ever!

Edited by Guest

Posted · Simplify3D vs Cura

Yes I thought the Cura print speed was faster, which on that size of model makes the comparison sort of pointless. One might argue that it is a comparison of default settings and on that video one might say that S3D has a better default profile - unless of course you are printing a model that takes up the entire print bed!! I can spend hundreds of pounds on an Adobe product but the guys give you a 30 day trial version unlike these guys who expect me to shell out 150usd on no evidene at all.

One consideration is that S3D is copy-protected, and as a result, if your system configuration changes at all, even system updates, you will be forced to re-install it over and over again, including re-entering a long passcode.

I found this so offensive and annoying that I tossed S3D.

One consideration is that S3D is copy-protected, and as a result, if your system configuration changes at all, even system updates, you will be forced to re-install it over and over again, including re-entering a long passcode.

I found this so offensive and annoying that I tossed S3D.

Never had this with system updates. The only time I had to reenter the passcode was after a complete windows re-install.

The guy also has cura in one at a time mode for some weird ass reason.

We just have a different definition for "normal" (as I'd guess that s3d takes about 2 times as long, which makes it a rather unfair comparison)

Lol @nallath, if I do multiple printing I nearly always use "print one at a time", as you say we all have different normals :) My view is that if I am printing say 5 or 6 copies and the print fails 75% of the way through, I will actually have 3 or 4 completed models. Also it stops the print head flying between the models and possibly leaving artefacts where it leaves one model and joins another. Equally I have printed "all at one time" with success. Just a matter of risk management really.

I meant that printing a single model with one at a time doesn't change anything (and isn't a default setting if I recall correctly).

All-at-once is indeed the default.

I do think the ease of use of one-at-a-time in Cura, is a big advantage over S3D.

i don't understand is there something different when you print one model in one at time or all at once?

But i agree S3D is nice but this is not a good comparison, what is S3D high quality profile? is it even 0.1mm layers ? And what about the speed settings we don't see...

UPDATE

They responded to my question on the comparison (on Youtube). Here is the answer:

Hi Sorin, the overall print speed for Simplify3D changes throughout the print. Simplify3D designates different print speeds for different areas of the model (e.g First layer, Infill, Outline etc). We used the preset High quality setting and only changed the infill amount to match Cura at 20%. The Simplify3D print took around 4 minutes longer to print. Hope that helps.

Well S3D has options to underspeed the layers if they are close to X seconds. True. But again, the default print speed of the um2 profile it's quite low. A good test would be to copy the speeds from one to the other. I think it's a bad test, but also I agree that s3d it's better than cura.

It depends on the Cura version. In my Cura (15.04.4) the shell thickness for the "high quality" setting is set to 0.9!! And infill speed is still at 80mm/s which is way too high if you print at the default temp of 210°

Cura also slows down with the min layer time setting. It's default value is also 5sec

Cura also slows down with the min layer time setting. It's default value is also 5sec

Yes but S3D does a Speed slow down, for each layer. It's a progressive aproach. Cura stops to make a min layer time, S3D slows down the print speed for each layer to reach the time (more or less). Basically, it adjust each layer speed. I never use this XD but it's there.

Surely not. I rarely print anything these days with a layer time below 10 secs but I am sure Cura slows down (or used to slow down) in the way you describe for S3D (????). Maybe I am confusing it with slic3r which I used to use a long time ago.

i don't understand is there something different when you print one model in one at time or all at once?

But i agree S3D is nice but this is not a good comparison, what is S3D high quality profile? is it even 0.1mm layers ? And what about the speed settings we don't see...

I do not think so - Nallath's post confused me too. You have to have one set and I never check that parameter unless I am printing multiple models

There is no difference with respect to settings, but my point was that they are clearly not using the default profile, as the default has print sequence to all at once.

Ah, cunning, well spotted :)

Ah, cunning, well spotted :)

When you look at Cura for 8 hours a day, you tend to notice those things ;)

• Like 3