Got today my UM2+.............but Problem with the test part.......shall i sent it back? please see the photos and help

Posted (edited) · Got today my UM2+.............but Problem with the test part.......shall i sent it back? please see the photos and help

Hi there,

yes we got today our UM2+ and as i know from our UM2 there is this ring test part inside...

We had massive problems with underextrusion with our UM2, so i dont want to start the same with the UM2+... so i want to ask here the other users opinion, before I start it the first time with other test prints and cant sent it back...

OK... the test ring is a bid larger then the UM2 ring, and feel not really smooth like the other , more abrasive

But ok, but my main problem is this…. Do you see the lines of underextrusion?

How can that pass the quality check?

Or do you see this as an other damage?

What would you do now, give it back? Use it? When I use it, and make bigger test, I cant give it back …

5a33193f1f135_Foto05_03.16002336.thumb.jpg.21217dbbec54bb5b860b324f6ea4eeeb.jpg

5a33193f4352a_Foto05_03.16002300.thumb.jpg.3033413c10a33bc3aa73e983a8e9644f.jpg

5a33193f1f135_Foto05_03.16002336.thumb.jpg.21217dbbec54bb5b860b324f6ea4eeeb.jpg

5a33193f4352a_Foto05_03.16002300.thumb.jpg.3033413c10a33bc3aa73e983a8e9644f.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Got today my UM2+.............but Problem with the test part.......shall i sent it back? please see the photos and help

I could be wrong but my understanding is they print that ring at 8mm^3/sec at 230C and weigh it on a scale. If it is over a certain weight it passes. 8mm^3/sec is pretty damn fast. I recommend you stick to lower temperatures and lower speeds.

I suspect you can print a few parts before sending the printer back. So why not do your own comparison test versus your existing printer - print the same part at the same temperature at the same speed and see how the printers compare.

Posted · Got today my UM2+.............but Problem with the test part.......shall i sent it back? please see the photos and help

no, that my problem, i m not allowed to test...this was the problem last time with the UM2

How fast is this in cura settings , 8mm^3/sec? i normaly print at 35 or 50

5a331949bbbc0_Foto05_03.16235557.thumb.jpg.d0524b89491c0fd4e6b41c09e50454a2.jpg

here you can see the differents of the rings... the bigger one is the new UM2+ ring...

I still did not use the UM2+ now, hope that i get more comments with advice :)

5a331949bbbc0_Foto05_03.16235557.thumb.jpg.d0524b89491c0fd4e6b41c09e50454a2.jpg

Your printer should have also come with the square test block. How does that look?

That small defect could be from anything and may not be a printer problem. I don't know why you cant use it.

What do you mean you are not allowed to test it? If something is wrong with the printer, your reseller should make it right. I would get in contact with your reseller with your concerns.

The ring does look a wee bit underextruded compared to the test prints I've seen in new machines, but that could've been due to other things like a bad spool of filament, a slight tangle, left over PLA in the bowden tube or a million other reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong with the printer. Also, like Labern said, what does the other test print look like?

8mm^3/sec? Well that's volume per second. To get volume of something rectangular like a box you multiply length X width X height. So for filament if you are printing .2mm layer height with .4mm nozzle at your usual 30 or 50 that's 30*.4*.2 or 2.4mm^3/sec (4mm^3/sec for 50mm/sec). Both much slower than the tested 8mm^3/sec and 230C but a bit fast for say 210C.

Another example: .1mm layer 50mm/sec .4mm nozzle is 2mm^3/sec.

Also if when you are in cura setting the speed - if you hover over the speed it tells you the volume/sec.

Your printer should have also come with the square test block. How does that look?

That small defect could be from anything and may not be a printer problem. I don't know why you cant use it.

this block has also some underextruison, please see here5a33194eab6d8_Foto06_03.16141541.thumb.jpg.1e4e105a0c20db56777b58602888cf46.jpg

do you also see the changing of the grey color?

5a33194eab6d8_Foto06_03.16141541.thumb.jpg.1e4e105a0c20db56777b58602888cf46.jpg

What do you mean you are not allowed to test it? If something is wrong with the printer, your reseller should make it right. I would get in contact with your reseller with your concerns.

The ring does look a wee bit underextruded compared to the test prints I've seen in new machines, but that could've been due to other things like a bad spool of filament, a slight tangle, left over PLA in the bowden tube or a million other reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong with the printer. Also, like Labern said, what does the other test print look like?

you are right robert, but i do not accept that my reseller, then will repair a brand new UM2+ , in such case i give the complete machine back because its new and not used...

but if i would use it, then i only have the way of repair...

Posted (edited) · Got today my UM2+.............but Problem with the test part.......shall i sent it back? please see the photos and help

That block looks fine, and better than mine did. I think you dont really know until you use it. The bottom of it looks like it was printed hot hence the colour. It does not look underextruded. 99% of under extrusion for my um2 was feeder or nozzle related, or printing too cold with too many retractions which cool things even further. So once you eliminate those issues, you should be fine. You are risking sending back a machine that is perfectly fine. I once bought a plasma tv and send it back 2 times, but wish now i kept the second one because i though it worked quieter than the one i ended up with. Tangles are very likely. People say they are rare and dont happen, but sometimes certain filaments just unwind badly during prints regardless of how well you keep them in check and cause print issues. Doesnt mean there is an issue with the printer. A more powerful feeder just makes it easier to print without getting most of the issues people got with the um2 and its clicking madness that drove me crazy, but cleaning the nozzle usually helped.

Move the head around with your hand and check for any play, if it moves about smoothly and evenly without any wobbling then id say youre fine. Surely you cant judge an entire printer on one or two test prints.

Edited by Guest

The test block is good with no issues. The difference in color is due to heat related issues.

When the print starts off it prints slow then speeds up. As it prints slow it can overhear the material. The lines higher up are when it finishes printing the rectangle and is only printing the towers. As these layers are only printing two smaller things there is less cooling time so it ends up a bit hotter again.

• Like 1