Please take a look at the video and tell me what's wrong!

umagi

Posted (edited) · Please take a look at the video and tell me what's wrong!

Hi,

I just powered on my self-built UM2.

Using the default firmware in the UM2 main board (v.2.1.4), I went to Maintenance -> Build Plate.

The Z axis homes correctly, i.e. goes down, hits the limit switch, then backs up a little bit and goes down again slower to hit the limit switch again.

But then, all hell breaks loose on the XY movement! Hellish stuttering noise during X movement which is not stopped by the limit switch (limit switch was tested to work), leaving me no other option than to switch off.

Please have a look at the following video:

I know I need to change some firmware settings for my machine. The X,Y dimensions are the same as UM2, the Z is longer. The XY motor pulleys have 16 GT2 teeth instead of the official UM2 20 teeth, so I need to change the steps per unit for these as well. But even with these wrong settings, I can't figure out why the XY make such noise.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Please take a look at the video and tell me what's wrong!

Hmm... I used Pronterface for the first time right now... and it shows me that the Y stepper is the culprit. The X axis moves correctly, but the Y does not move, the motor just stutters.

Apparently, it has to do with the wiring because when I interchange the X and Y motor connections, the Y moves correctly but the X fails this time.

I check the cable of the Y stepper... and of course, a wire was loose due to my bad connector crimping skills... I'm also new at connector crimping you see.

Now both X and Y move smoothly in Pronterface!

Edited by Guest