Bond Tech Versus the New Designed Um2+ Feeder

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Bond Tech Versus the New Designed Um2+ Feeder

Martin

Understood will sort it Saturday. will PM you Saturday.

What version of TinkerGnome are being used I see on GitHub v.16.01 is listed

@bob-hepple I would not worry, its not a dificult job to install - the results are simply incredible, I am using standard firmware with a simple two line paramater update GCODE file I got from Martin

It just works !!!

Edited by Guest

Posted · Bond Tech Versus the New Designed Um2+ Feeder

installed 16.01 it is running my Gcode from Smf3D looks good

The Gcode is one file which you sort of tell the printer to print - it just changes the filament print rate and thats it, you just execute once and it writes the new parameter into the firmware of the UM2

the two lines are below:-

M92 E492.45

M500

you can just copy them to a file and give it a GCODE file type - job done

I'm sorry, I still see plenty of issues with the "new" ultimate package. Is that another stamped sheet metal shroud for the fans ? :/

The obvious weak point for me is tied to the best upgrade they made. The extruded mounting plate is wonderful, but that weak looking plastic gear with grease gooped on it just looks like a cleaning mess ready to build up with particulates. If the extruder housing was openly accessible like iRoberti's, maybe I'd overlook the again, closed design.

I'll wait it out for something better. Not worth $400 to me to have that 2+ sticker.

With that said, I ordered the Bondtech QR last night...ill see for myself.

Erick407A

I also ordered the Bondtech I think it will be a Pleasant surprise. (?????)

• Like 1

Hi @bob-hepple, I modified the v.16.01 version and that is the one that is available for download here: http://www.bondtech.se/download/669/

For Ultimaker 2 Extended here: http://www.bondtech.se/download/667/

This is exactly why too much force can be dangerous

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/20077-umo-strange-issue

Imagine now you print something and the nozzle wasn't just perfectly tight. Or that the coupler it's dead and has left an space. A too stronger extruder will keep pushing and pushing and filament will find its way, like a water pipe system. Motor skipping it's actually a safeguard.

We need better hardware to control excess in preassure. Like the motor stepper driver that @ataraxis has posted.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/17498-new-sss-driver-tmc2130?page=last#reply-139827

Or

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/19899-extruder-injection-force-measurement-system

I think it's something that someone should consider since an 8 print could break a lot of printer parts before it would stop.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

For Ultimaker 2 Extended here: http://www.bondtech.se/download/667/

Hi bondtech

Just received yesterday my feeder kit , I downloaded the UM2 Extended version , it seems be a different version.

Have I to download the version you specify here ?

This is exactly why too much force can be dangerous

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/20077-umo-strange-issue

I've been enjoying my Bondtech for the last couple weeks, while trying to figure out the oozing issue.   The amount of ooze is very material-specific.  Typically I use PETG for my parts, and it oozes like crazy, nonstop.  ABS however oozes a little and then stops.  

One thing about PETG that always made me enjoy using it:  clogging doesn't happen because the moire time it spends inside a hot end, the more liquid it becomes.   That's not helpful now though.

Tightening the coupler down against the block has been the only solution that's worked thus far in stopping the ooze.  I tried the spring replacement cylinder but it didn't seem to help (then again I didn't seem to have one that fit exactly right... but that's for another thread).

I found this post on the Lulzbot forum, and I'm thinking it sounds like a good idea: using high-temp threadlock liquid, in this case for the coupler's threads

https://www.lulzbot.com/content/budaschnozzle-20-pla-fix-high-temp-thread-lock-nozzle-threads

That said,  I prefer having this issue to resolve instead of the alternative of going back to slow prints!

Edited by Guest

@gudo the version that I refere to above is the specific Tinkergnome firmware, not the standard firmware.

Bondtech

will download your firmware when Parcel arrives, I have been playing with TinkerGnomes 16.01 Love it..

neotko

can't agree with you more, I thought the same it is actually a benefit for the motor to skip instead of pushing material through, I hope that this can be overcome, or i have just swapped a pain in the Axxx for a more serious problem. Don't like the idea of thread Lock, also the 3dSolex Steel Coupler thread has a lot more slop than the original UM Version, if the Steel coupler is tighter in the thread this might also make a differenced. Was going to Ask 3dSolex if this was or is possible I might just have a bad one.

• Like 1

@bob-hepple you always have the option to decrease the current setting for the extruder so it will skip if there is a extrusion problem, for the Ultimaker 2 it can be done using G-code M907 E1200 , the value 1200 stands for milliampere and 1200 is the recommended max amp for the motor, you can decrease it to any lower value, but it also decreases the available torque and limits the ability to push plastic fast. The G-code can be inserted in the start script if using Simplify3D or manual in the start of the G-code.

/Martin

• Like 1

@bontech the problem I see it's that there's no actual feedback of the preassure physically or by step motors/drivers, so the amps adjustment won't help without doing real life measures and analysis of how much it's too much. Also if the filament entangles and the extruder can keep in going, what will happen outside? Will it keep, crushing anything at its path? Maybe someone (bondtech) should do at least that, keeping the force just enough so when it tangles it actually skips. Anyhow as I said this isn't about your feeder, but the 'too much force' extruders and the lack of feedback.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

bondtech

thanks for this at least there is options. I will let you know how I get on..

Neotko

Agree with your sentiments and I think I will experiment, when it arrives, which I am greatly looking forward to.

@neotko this is an interesting solution : http://www.vinland.com/Extruder_Injection_Force.html

, how to connect it to the controller so it either limits the current if the extrusion force gets too high or shut off the motor is not something that I have experience with, but since there is many smart people hanging around here maybe there is a simple solution to this?

/Martin

Bondtech

Fitted you extruder and your firmware all is working ran a couple of files through to compare it worked I think my S3d setting need to be changed

1. my flow needs to be reduced for first layer because the Bondtech has more power first layer is now quiet full.

2 My retractions speed need to be adjusted set at 2500.0 mm/min do you have any suggestions for this one??

TinkerGnome just posted v16.03 of his excellent firmware, and it no longer makes the BondTech scream and stall on the fast retraction when you use Change Filament.

eldrick

thanks for this while I have just finished installing I'm confused I asked Bondtech if I had to change the steppes millimetre page 11 in there Manual and I was under the impression that if I downloaded there firmware I didn't..

have you done anything like they suggested ???

please see my post to tinkerGnome

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/20164-filament-spacing-question-for-ultimaker-2?page=1#unread

The Gcode is one file which you sort of tell the printer to print - it just changes the filament print rate and thats it, you just execute once and it writes the new parameter into the firmware of the UM2

the two lines are below:-

M92 E492.45

M500

you can just copy them to a file and give it a GCODE file type - job done

stu_le_brew

thanks for this I created gcode file with the two lines of code and printed it is that it...

Bob

Remember to add a 'return' after the M500 or the command won't be executed

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1