Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
APRP

Holding the Z-axis height after printing

Hey,

I use a webcam on the UM 2 Extended + that's mounted on the building platform (not heated!).

After finishing a print the platform will go down to zero but that would crash the camera mounting.

Now the question:

Is the platform driven downwards by the electric motor or just by gravitation, because then it would be possible to put something under the platform to stop it and hold it a little bit over zero.

Thanks for your help!

Greez,

Andi

To answer you question, The printer is driven down. you could make it so it will stay up but its better to design a mount where it doesn't move with the build plate. This way its always looking at the business end where you can see any problems with the hotend. Ones that move with the plate on tall prints, you cant see the hot end very well.

@APRP, the bed is either driven down or gravity does it(not sure on UM2e), but either way, you can use Gcode to make sure it doesn't. For example in my UMO end code there is:

G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way

M84 ;steppers off

So I imagine if it's driven down there should be a line that either G28 Z0 (if homing is done downwards), or another command, some UM2 owner would have to fill the gap here.

Remove that.

And also remove the steppers off M84. Then I think the build plate should stay in position, as the steppers are still powered.

Again I'm not 100% sure, but something like this could work.