ended Community Contest | Win an Extrusion upgrade!

SandervG

Posted · ended Community Contest | Win an Extrusion upgrade!

Calling out to all makers, designers, tinkerers and innovators! This is your chance to win an Extrusion upgrade kit and bump your Ultimaker 2 to the latest standards! By talking and sharing experiences with our community we have been able to develop the extrusion upgrade and make it available to you! As a thank you and in celebration of the launch we are starting up another community contests!

5a5df4ccd5935_Extrusionupgradekit5sticker.thumb.jpg.73d6a2a7200ac2a7946f384f2528129c.jpg

Goal:

Come up with an upgrade for your Ultimaker, office, house, car, pet or whatever you can think of using your Ultimaker. Add a feature, make it better, custom fit it to your personal situation. Anything that makes your sleep, eat, commute, work, or play more awesome! Got it?

Entries will be judged based on ingenuity, creativity, (print-) quality and execution.

Upload your entry as a ‘3D print card’ in this thread!

upload your entry under ‘3D prints’. Share the ‘Embed’ code in this thread.

A video can be included in the 3D print card.

Timeframe:

The contest will run for a month!

Starting: March 9th 2016

End: April 11th 2016 5pm CET.

Prize:

1 Ultimaker Extrusion upgrade.

Value €395

Rules:

• It needs to be printed on an Ultimaker
  • Modifications are allowed
  • It may consist of non-3D printed parts

Looking forward seeing your entries!

• Like 2

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · ended Community Contest | Win an Extrusion upgrade!

I guess this one is pretty much for UM2 owners (again) ;)

Good luck out there.

Edited by Guest

I remember someone saying taking part of a contest and learning something is already rewarding, and the upgrade may fit an UMO+ too. But this needs to be tested first, not sure. (or it could be a challenge for you to make it compatible if you win ;) )

• Like 1

I remember someone saying taking part of a contest and learning something is already rewarding, and the upgrade may fit an UMO+ too. But this needs to be tested first, not sure. (or it could be a challenge for you to make it compatible if you win ;))

I wasn't saying I wasn't thinking about it ;) Just that an UM2 owner should get the prize!

the upgrade may fit an UMO+ too. But this needs to be tested first, not sure. (or it could be a challenge for you to make it compatible if you win ;))

I think I can guarantee this will not work. Based on the that fact the the UMO+ PT100 needs a 64inch cable while the UM2 PT100 only has a 42inch cable. I know because I've seen 3 different UMO+ kits that had the UM2 pt100 stocked accidentally. Sadly on the 1st two we did not realize this until everything was put together and we were routing the cables to the circuit board and came up WAY short! We had to take the PT100 cable out of the spiral wrap and run it straight across the top of the machine and down to get the machine working. On the 3rd kit I measured the pt100 before assembling, saw the issue and got the right one shipped before this mistake happened again.

Well pt100 cables ain't like thermistors you can solder an extension and it works (been there done that) also if you already have a pt100 you can just use it.

Now that I check my umo, the pt100 cable has some extra unnused distance on my board. I'll check that.

Ohh I see. That's easy to fix! Just assemble the cable through the other side. Not biggie. Umm the board it's on a different position that must be 10cm.

Well a fast fix could be just taking the cable out of the wrap and not inside the black cable wrap and installing it using the other cable hole.

So um2 cable it's 1m and umo+ 1.5? I'll check the githubs

No it's not:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/1185_PT100_B_sensor_(x1)/B1185-B2P-A.pdf

More than enough distance.

Um2go it's 1m

Also if the kit it's also for extended um2, there's no way it could be that short. Maybe @sandervg or someone with the kit can meassure the pt100 cable length.

Edited by Guest

Well pt100 cables ain't like thermistors you can solder an extension and it works (been there done that) also if you already have a pt100 you can just use it.

Now that I check my umo, the pt100 cable has some extra unnused distance on my board. I'll check that.

Good point, I'm just worried if all the cables are similarly shorten for the UM2 you will have more work to make it fit. Notice the new placement of the extruder motor is also closer to the board. So some hole drilling and mounting would be needed.

BUT if all it takes is soldering an extension on the PT100 this would be the way to go since supposedly the upgrade has a "new PT100" which is much more accurate then the previous one.

Actually if @sandervG is looking for UMO+ testers, I bet he could find some without looking very far. :-)

I have two um2 feeder motors on my umo+ and the cable it's shorter, but it's just good enough. If they made it shorter then it will need a lower assembly, but I have designed a thinkgy that allows to install it outside on a lower position.

Wow too much to design!

Also if the kit it's also for extended um2, there's no way it could be that short. Maybe @sandervg or someone with the kit can meassure the pt100 cable length.

Well all I know is we had 3 different UMO+ kits with 42inch PT100 cables, and support's explanation was that these were UM2 parts and that's why they were too short. maybe they were from the UM2Go.

If the "normal" UM2 has a 51inch PT100 that might be workable if you move the extruder to the left side from the right.

Here is my design for the contest.

Filament Guide for Ultimaker 2 - Final version

This guide is used when the spool is rotated by 90 degrees behind the printer. The 90 degree rotation can be usefull force the filament ripples of the extruder to the side of the bowden and PTFE coupler. This mod helped me to get rid of a lot of underextrusions as the friction of the ripples inside the extruder was very high.

I guess this one is pretty much for UM2 owners (again) ;)

Good luck out there.

No need for us to worry @Titus!!! Extruder update kit, still trying to keep up with our old UM orginals ;)

Can you combine your work with preciousplastic and as a teacher to come up with an entry @3DCase?

If not for the fun, it would be an interesting challenge to see if the extrusion upgrade fit an Ultimaker Original! ;)

• Like 1

It's a bit off-topic but I just measured a kit I have here and the PT100 was 116cm (give or take a cm or two). I might be able to measure on another kit tomorrow at work but I'm assuming they'll be identical.

• Like 1

Thanks @IRobertI

It's a bit off-topic but I just measured a kit I have here and the PT100 was 116cm (give or take a cm or two). I might be able to measure on another kit tomorrow at work but I'm assuming they'll be identical.

I think that would be the one that is too short for the UMO+, I would get the longer one before you start putting that kit together.

I just got one of my spares out and measured it at 153cm.

I think we're high jacking this wonderful thread. :-( Should we start a "UM2 upgrade kit on the UMO+" or something?

116cm well.. There's a way to make it much shorter in seconds. Separate the cables from the bowden and make them less curved. That will cut 20cm fast. Anyhow it's quite easy to take out the pt100 from the olsson and put the one from the umo+, not ideal indeed. Other idea could be to rotate the umo+ board and make a printed enclousure for the board, making 4 drills on the wood and taking the opportunity to add a fan for the board (because the summer in Spain will be hell)

Edited by Guest

Hello,

This is actually my first post here. I have had my ultimaker 2 for about 6 months, and am loving using it. Of course I have had some small issues, but I have always been able to figure out how to fix them with browsing the forum and finding answers.

Anyway, I have run into a problem lately with my coffee pot not working the way that it should. The coffee pot is a commercial grade, with the spout on the bottom (see pictures). The problem is that I could not get a cup of coffee under the spout because it sat down too low. With a little time spent in front of my CAD software, I created a perfect solution... A Clawfoot Coffee Pot!

20160313_194403.thumb.jpg.9d9ea3cb8f3a8374fd98e19910847b17.jpg20160314_111108.thumb.jpg.a0322905d727f1f7f0a3ac2546182761.jpg20160314_123537.thumb.jpg.cba18c1d24feebd65f0c3801d97628f3.jpg

20160313_194403.thumb.jpg.9d9ea3cb8f3a8374fd98e19910847b17.jpg

20160314_111108.thumb.jpg.a0322905d727f1f7f0a3ac2546182761.jpg

20160314_123537.thumb.jpg.cba18c1d24feebd65f0c3801d97628f3.jpg

• Like 5

Can you combine your work with preciousplastic and as a teacher to come up with an entry @3DCase?

If not for the fun, it would be an interesting challenge to see if the extrusion upgrade fit an Ultimaker Original! ;)

I'm in @SandervG :),

See if I can pimp and finetune my dual printhead, you never know how a 'cow catches a haze' ;).

• Like 1

Please don't let me win :D

[print=3143][/print]

• Like 3

I think that would be the one that is too short for the UMO+, I would get the longer one before you start putting that kit together.

I just got one of my spares out and measured it at 153cm.

I think we're high jacking this wonderful thread. :-(  Should we start a "UM2 upgrade kit on the UMO+" or something?

Got some time and did some simple checks. It's imposible that an um2 pt100 cable can't be installed on a umo+. If reach the um2 board on a side it can also on the other.

5a3319fc545ff_Capturadepantalla2016-03-20alas20_25_44.thumb.png.35c3f0039d17d4027454d912964b1dc6.png

The main difference on umo+ it's the cable must take a longer 'curve'. But if the idea it's to implement the whole kit seems totally doable by making a cable guide and making the bowden go near the frame like on um2. Also I did a design for a extruder holder that can be easily adapted to hold the feeder geared extruder on the um2+ kit. On the same area (mirroed area)

5a3319fc797e8_Capturadepantalla2016-03-20alas20_29_28.thumb.png.4f4b0c9a307f5e469061192c81792ab6.png

This clips using the already existing screw of the wood structure and hang to the cable hole without blocking the cables. I did use this for a time when experimenting with different spool holders and I was able to put 2.2k colorfabb rolls without any issue, so it can hold an extruder.

5a3319fc545ff_Capturadepantalla2016-03-20alas20_25_44.thumb.png.35c3f0039d17d4027454d912964b1dc6.png

5a3319fc797e8_Capturadepantalla2016-03-20alas20_29_28.thumb.png.4f4b0c9a307f5e469061192c81792ab6.png