ended Community Contest | Win an Extrusion upgrade!

SandervG

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · ended Community Contest | Win an Extrusion upgrade!

I even beat the Sander-Beard... but although peer feedback was great (e.g. ladies), one morning I decided to remove it because I wanted to look like 27 again :D

Posted (edited) · ended Community Contest | Win an Extrusion upgrade!

Hello !

Here's the first design I share on the internet, and the first I made on my own too. :)

It's a part of a product which is an upgrade for my Ultimaker and house by the same way.

Of course it makes me eat, work and play better :p

As it may consist of non-3D printed parts, I won't only describe my penstock but also my entire project.

WARNING : monster reply uncoming !

It's a kind of school project I had to realise with a partner translated as multidisciplinary sixth-form school project.

I have my Ultimaker Original Plus in the room where I work, play... I want to keep it here as I can't imagine leaving it working in another room where I can't see the print nor do anything if a problem occurs... (even if there aren't problems mmh ? :)) Moreover, even while eating with my parents in the kitchen downstairs, we feel some vibrations. I don't like the odor either.

That's why we chose it as a subject for the scientific baccalaureate.

An important detail is that it's almost entirely made of recovered material.

- To reduce the noise, we covered an ancient kind of cabinet (?) with acoustic foam and put the UMO+ into it.

IMG_2668.thumb.JPG.fe0e15f8d392622c460c7b0162c7efdd.JPG

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.d7e0197e556d4dbbdbdbf6b68e6b6e00.JPG

IMG_2671.thumb.JPG.f7791a928231d772392cf1645ff4d1f8.JPG

IMG_2672.thumb.JPG.44de92ffb5c9b1ca41fa3b4c07836052.JPG

- Then, as there was a heat problem, we put 2 fans on the chamber

IMG_2674.thumb.JPG.2e925aef090bf38b90cb5a5c0d37d629.JPG

IMG_2675.thumb.JPG.1c563a70a352b35fe6e6ad262e5e3270.JPG

and 1 under the UMO+

IMG_2679.thumb.JPG.5e44bbad322a9f5209c833b352546c2e.JPG

to cool the electronic card and the Z-motor. So the fan is attached to my SolidWorks design :)I think it's much easier and cheaper to use a 8-centimeter-diameter fan than a little one. The penstock is designed to pass between the wood and the foam.

- We made some other changes like enclosing the UMO+ and adding an HEPA filter, putting a LED ribbon (?),

5a331a8454d5b_Thelight.thumb.JPG.a3330d00a6b0fb6ac15cba30ec8b0e90.JPG

painting it and adaptating a power supply to our needs...

Our mesures reveal the efficiency of the system :

- Noise reduced from 58dB to 48dB

- 5a331a8418fac_T-Without.png.ee2b77ef31d14188b06345131f3fde3e.png

and

5a331a84311da_T-With.png.a7975301cdba1da6cebd30710372f8e4.png

It was very interesting to do, my first REAL project.

Hope we'll get a great mark... and why not an Upgrade Kit :)

I would really love to make a steampunk Ultimaker Original Double Plus !

IMG_2668.thumb.JPG.fe0e15f8d392622c460c7b0162c7efdd.JPG

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.d7e0197e556d4dbbdbdbf6b68e6b6e00.JPG

IMG_2671.thumb.JPG.f7791a928231d772392cf1645ff4d1f8.JPG

IMG_2672.thumb.JPG.44de92ffb5c9b1ca41fa3b4c07836052.JPG

IMG_2674.thumb.JPG.2e925aef090bf38b90cb5a5c0d37d629.JPG

IMG_2675.thumb.JPG.1c563a70a352b35fe6e6ad262e5e3270.JPG

IMG_2679.thumb.JPG.5e44bbad322a9f5209c833b352546c2e.JPG

5a331a8454d5b_Thelight.thumb.JPG.a3330d00a6b0fb6ac15cba30ec8b0e90.JPG

5a331a8418fac_T-Without.png.ee2b77ef31d14188b06345131f3fde3e.png

5a331a84311da_T-With.png.a7975301cdba1da6cebd30710372f8e4.png

Edited by Guest

Here's my entry. A TV stand for our 40inch 100cm TV. It was a big project and a lot of fun. Learned heaps about design and slicing. Total of more than a week solid printing. Most info is on the print page.

[print=2167][/print]

• Like 1

Oooh,

that doesn't look great

And sorry for the pictures, I didn't know I would need to show it once. There isn't a real clear pic of the penstock. :(

I like all the photos , great post . Nice write up and good info on the process. I give it high marks for reusing materials and solving a problem all at once. Also love your data , I'm a sucker for data. :-)

Thank you very much ! :D

I only have one question : as a French person, I don't really understand the meaning of "data". It's translated by "donnée". I'm not sure it has this signification here. Just to learn something new, could you explain the meaning of this word ? That would be great ! :)

Thanks.

Heck, another entry,

;)

Edited by Guest

I don't really understand the meaning of "data". It's translated by "donnée". I'm not sure it has this signification here. Just to learn something new, could you explain the meaning of this word ? That would be great ! :)

Thanks.

In this case data = numbers. maybe "données expérimentales" would be a better? I'm talking about the measurements you made to show the improvements. Like the temperature graph you made, and the dB measurements. It's great to have this information to show the improvements.

Now I understand :)

Thanks !

My push lawn mower (Stormbringer) kept needing repair to the clutch gears that change wheel rotation to blade rotation.

I made these replacement gears to replace the original gears that had stripped out many times and been repaired with epoxy putty. When I got my 1st 3D printer (UMO) I decided to make these. The PLA worked great and I got about 2 years of mowing out of the 1st pair before I had to print a fresh set.

[print=3412][/print]

I did this project mostly as a challenge to see what I could do in TinkerCAD. I was able to complete it, but it definitely showed me that I need to spend more time learning a more advanced design tool.

The print just barely fit on the bed when split in two pieces. I'm really happy with how it turned out, though I do need to make larger tolerances for the hex shaped holes for my hex bits. I've already had a few requests to print a tray for their exact same nut driver sets. The tray looks professional, organized and like something you would spend a lot of money on from the tool manufacture.

I'll post more detailed photos when I get a chance to get them off my DSLR camera.

[print=3472][/print]

Here is my entry to the contest...

Nothing really life-changing for me but I´ve got lots of happy, fat birds in my backyard right now and a huge mess on my balcony floor :)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

OK, an official entry. A tool for measuring e-steps easily.

[print=3552][/print]

I have been working on this improvement for my UMO+ for some time now, and I think it's finally done. I take care of a bunch of UMO+ at different schools and I wanted a clean way to add cameras to the printers so kids could watch their prints from the web and see time-lapse videos too. I did not like the way we had web cams hanging off the printer, getting bumped, and losing video when someone turned off the lights in the room. SO my goal was to mount a Raspberry Pi camera+wide angle lens+ LED lights inside the printer.

I made this design to solve/address the following:

1. Clean looking mount for RasPi camera and lights inside frame.

2. Increase viewing angle of camera.

3. Light the print bed for camera.

4. As little modification to the actual printer as possible (small drill holes).

SO this is what I made. I found that when the camera is inside the frame it needs the help of a wide angle lens to see the whole print bed, turns out those cheap smartphone lens work great. I also decided to power the LEDs from the Pi to reduce the power supplies I would need. There are a bunch of photos to show my process. I will try to add better instructions later.

AND as an added bonus !!! here's the bin of prototypes I ran thought while designing and perfecting this assembly.

5a331acdb4687_THEPROCESS.thumb.JPG.163c465f3538ccc013d3a81c60e18381.JPG

5a331acdb4687_THEPROCESS.thumb.JPG.163c465f3538ccc013d3a81c60e18381.JPG

• Like 2

I have made a Gopro mount to fit my speargun.

Its designed so it doesn't get tangled in the bungy's on the top and bottom. Also a lot more streamlined the any others I have seen to help stop it getting caught in seaweed and easier to push though the water for longer breath holds.

[print=3568][/print]

Alright, this one is a doozie in that it requires some explanation so  bear with me and put on  yer ole reading glasses!

Let's take a ride on the wayback machine and travel to San Antonio Texas in September 2014 when I had the spark of imagination to use a 3D printed ring to turn a 2 liter soda bottle into a water purifier (read how it works in the following link).  

Solar Water Purifier - original MK2, not the entry - just the background

That is the idea, to turn trash into a life given supply of clean water.  There was just one problem though - people who need clean water often don't have 3D printer lol!  So just recently on April 6 or slightly earlier like April 5 or so, I made this design:  

Solar Water Purifier - the entry (unprinted)

However I have no working printer to print it out (My brand spanking new Ultimaker 2+ will be here in a week yay \o/),  So It's just an idea at the moment.  So if the idea pans out, what it will be is a fixture onto which one wraps aluminum foil.  After fitting and trimming, the foil is removed from the fixture and used to purify the water.  

Of additional coolness is the fact that you don't need a 3D printer to make the fixture.  You can use any workable substance like wood or plastic or metal.  Even in the aftermath of a natural disaster, you can Macgyver this thing and have clean water!  

Think about that for a sec.  Thing A is that it reduces the design to a concept, not a physical object, in the sense that essentially (almost) any human being on Earth need not go without clean water! All you have to do is have a dirty water supply and the know how to make this thing, plus some time and some sunshine.  

So there you are, the hurricane or tornado has done it's damage and left you in its path.  People around you are crying out for water.  You step into action and, just like the Professor of Gilligan's Island (or MacGyver if you prefer), you save the day with the trash strewn around you.  

What?  It could happen!   hahahhah  Well anyway, there is my contest entry.  What do you think?  

Les

SolarWaterDistillerMark2_2.thumb.png.c37fd712712c5029eaa64daa56fad251.png

SolarWaterDistillerMark2_2.thumb.png.c37fd712712c5029eaa64daa56fad251.png

Edited by Guest

Ohhh nice entries everyone!! Last day... will there be any more entries?

Exciting! :)

I think we'll need several upgrade kits, at least one for each entry.

Don't you agree ? :p

• Like 1

@neotko seems to agree.

I said at least, but only one could be enough too :)

haha I'm sure you do :p

Maybe there will be another competition following this one.. just maybe..

BUT.. this one is not over yet! Give us your best! :D

obviously nothing what makes me work more awesome but hopefully something what makes me work more happier !

And ofcourse, it spents some light in the evenings during extra hours in the late evenings....so it´s useful...a bit...;)pp_ironmaus_gif.gif.8710b123c4502cddebe7a56a724797cb.gif

[print=3538][/print]

pp_ironmaus_gif.gif.8710b123c4502cddebe7a56a724797cb.gif

• Like 4