Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

At Ultimaker we have always said we look after our users, and it was time to put our money where our mouth is. From talking to our users and gaining more experience and insights ourselves we have been turn our workhorse Ultimaker 2 into an even better 3D printer, the Ultimaker 2+.

We thought it would only be fair to share this upgrade with our loyal and contributing community.

The Extrusion upgrade will allow users to upgrade their existing Ultimaker 2 to the latest standard for improved print results. Every user with an Ultimaker 2 will now be able to enjoy the latest innovations. The extrusion upgrade contains:

• Geared feeder and increased reliability
  • With a stronger feeder you are less likely to see irregularities in the extrusion flow. The extruder motor is new and attached to a geared feeder for extra strength.

• Swappable nozzle for more options
  • Different nozzles give you the option to either print faster or super detailed. You can also have different nozzles for different materials that you use. That will make your entire 3D printing experience more reliable.
  • Optimised airflow for smoother prints
  • A new fan shroud with improved airflow. The fans are mounted horizontally instead of tilted.
  • More accurate PT100
  • It has a new PT100 with a nickel wire instead of a shielded copper wire. It will do a more accurate and reliable reading which makes sharing print profiles even easier!
  • Stronger heater cartridge
  • Are you on a rush job? The stronger 35W heater can keep up with your speedy 0.8mm nozzle prints.
  • Stronger PTFE coupler
  • The improved PTFE TFM coupler is stronger than ever. Add on top that the spring has been replaced by a spacer should give you more time to enjoy your coupler than ever before.
  • and more smaller contributions making it a great addition for your Ultimaker 2.

And the great thing is; it is all preassembled! So no worries about complex steps or finicky instructions. Following the few steps in the manual you can just ‘click’ your new print head in place. The Extrusion upgrade costs €395 / $395 and is immediately available in your local store.

_AD_8858.thumb.jpg.f59e6f5f0c64cfabe28aa916b76a2af8.jpg

Being backwards compatible is important for us, regardless on when you decide to get on the Ultimaker train we will look after your best interest. We have made upgrades available to the Ultimaker Original, and not too long ago an upgrade was made available for the Ultimaker 2 in the form of an Olsson Block. Which is now preinstalled in the Extrusion upgrade as well.

Ultimaker listens to its users and together we are working to give you the best 3D printing experience possible.

5a3319735fd92_Extrusionupgradekitbox.thumb.jpg.77aa82d8c9bfaaa95f751f066f0f57b4.jpg

As a cherry on the Ultimaker pie, we are also starting a contest where you can win an Extrusion upgrade for your Ultimaker 2. We are looking forward to your entries!

Do you have any questions about the Extrusion upgrade or are you a happy user of one; let us know!

Thank you all for your time!

_AD_8858.thumb.jpg.f59e6f5f0c64cfabe28aa916b76a2af8.jpg

5a3319735fd92_Extrusionupgradekitbox.thumb.jpg.77aa82d8c9bfaaa95f751f066f0f57b4.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the printhead is the same like the old one except the cooling and the olson block? So why a complete new head? And the feeder motor is different too??

500€ is a heavy price for an upgrade.

I was hoping for a new feeder, an new fanshroud and maybe the olsonblock in the kit :-(

There is only one dealer in Germany, and this one is selling it higher than the MSRP.... not really nice for an official dealer.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

This seems very expensive. It also seems like there are parts that wouldn't have needed replacement, like the stepper and rods..?

Edited by Guest

@jameswood: the UM2+ is using a new feeder motor with 200 steps per revolution instead of the 400 step UM2 one, it also got the small gear pressed on the shaft

@dirkdirk: there is also the new TFM coupler and a rigid aluminium spacer instead of the spring, higher power heater and the more exact PT100, and if you got a really old UM2 you would have a different bottom plastic piece etc, so there is quite some differences.

Also, since everything is pre mounted you will be able to make the upgrade without worrying about stuff ruining the pt100 during the extraction from the original heater block and having to get new cables trough the sleeving like many of us have done when installing the Olsson Block.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Posted · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

This seems very expensive. It also seems like there are parts that wouldn't have needed replacement, like the stepper and rods..?

The stepper model it's different. The rods indeed are something that isn't 'needed'.

As for the cost could be cheaper but it's probably made for users that don't want/know how to fiddle with all the hotend assembly. You pay more and assembly it faster.

• Like 1

In the text you can read that it has a new stepper motor too, it is not just a duplicate.

It is different from the one you have installed now.

The rods are in place because there is a risk of bending the rods when replacing the printhead, there is a risk they were already bent during usage / rough maintenance (Atomic Method?) or maybe they were not lubed frequently. When installing the upgrade you know your Ultimaker 2 (+) will be in excellent shape and will run like never before.

It is fully assembled which makes it a very user friendly upgrade.

It has much more than just an improved fan shroud, or an olsson block.

@Dirkdirk, yes. Even the housing of the printhead has been strengthened. It has now glassfiber, so even when overtightening the thumbscrews (which happened sometimes) won't break your housing.

Here is a list of the upgrades you'll find in the extrusion upgrade kit:

Geared feeder and increased reliability

With a stronger feeder you are less likely to see irregularities in the extrusion flow. The extruder motor is new and attached to a geared feeder for extra strength.

Swappable nozzle for more options

Different nozzles give you the option to either print faster or super detailed. You can also have different nozzles for different materials that you use. That will make your entire 3D printing experience more reliable.

Optimised airflow for smoother prints

A new fan shroud with improved airflow. The fans are mounted horizontally instead of tilted.

More accurate PT100

It has a new PT100 with a nickel wire instead of a shielded copper wire. It will do a more accurate and reliable reading which makes sharing print profiles even easier!

Stronger heater cartridge

Are you on a rush job? The stronger 35W heater can keep up with your speedy 0.8mm nozzle prints.

Stronger PTFE coupler

The improved PTFE TFM coupler is stronger than ever. Add on top that the spring has been replaced by a spacer should give you more time to enjoy your coupler than ever before.

And more smaller contributions making it a great addition for your Ultimaker 2, like an enforced housing for your printhead.

• Like 2

The stepper model it's different. The rods indeed are something that isn't 'needed'.

As for the cost could be cheaper but it's probably made for users that don't want/know how to fiddle with all the hotend assembly. You pay more and assembly it faster.

The rods are in place because there is a risk of bending the rods when replacing the printhead, there is a risk they were already bent during usage / rough maintenance (Atomic Method?) or maybe they were not lubed frequently. When installing the upgrade you know your Ultimaker 2 (+) will be in excellent shape and will run like never before.

• Like 1

I think it's a great upgrade for UMO+ users :D

Someday I'll save enough to mod my 3 umo+. Looks very nice indeed.

• Like 1

Would this work on the UMO+? What extra steps world be needed for it?

Out of curiosity I tried to look for it in the Dutch Resellers, couldn't find it though.

Out of curiosity I tried to look for it in the Dutch Resellers, couldn't find it though.

Working on it. Should become available today at Makerpoint I believe.

Would this work on the UMO+? What extra steps world be needed for it?

that is not something we have tested yet, but among others @neotko is convinced it would (by looking at it), when replacing the slider blocks.

Yea it should be pretty straightforward. A slider block to mimic the um2 ones it's already available on youmagine. And with the top plastic part changed with the meduza design published a few weeks ago. Peace of cake!

Remember, Makers at Heart =)

• Like 2

Hmm, me thinks they are trying to push people to buy complete new machine. Way too expensive (additional redundant parts) in my book. I'll hold off and may just get a U2+ at some later point (damn I've succumbed to their tactic :) )

• Like 1

It's expensive..but i want it :-)

Wow..in Germany the price is higher than the msrp and at makerpoint (where i bought my um2) the shipping time is 2 weeks...

And now? :-D

igo3d, the german distributor, removed the upgrade

kit from their shop - or am I simply unable to find it?!

Is there another kit coming? One maybe without the Olsson block? I'm guessing there are lots of users who have already purchased this upgrade or got it with their machine. My interests are really with the feeder itself, and to some mild extent the fan shroud.

• Like 1

Expensive

I see what they are getting at BUT this will leave me with a lot of spare parts that will be junk in a few months, £395.00 in uk

Mmmmm

• Like 2

I bought an expensive printer, had to mod it to work decently, invested about 300€ by now.

The upgrade kit comes along, and bam 500€... to fix, what should mostly have been fixed in the design stage of the UM2.

There are many things in this kit, that most UM2 owner already bought, to get their printer to work.

To be honest, I´m a little bit frustrated now, I thought that if I don´t buy cheap, that I don´t have to buy twice. I currently don´t have the budget to buy this upgrade and so I´m screwed, because I bought my UM2 1 month too early.

This should not be a personal attack against the company or the sales policy, I just had to vent. I understand why you have to do this and for the most part I would do it the same way, if I had a company in this kind of Industry.

Sorry that I had to do it in your official Forum.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

what are the US distribution channels for the Upgrade kit?