Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

SandervG

Posted · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

Just wondering what will happen if I run let's say 3 spools of CopperFill through this feeder (this material is abbrasive!). Wil it survive? Any idea on which parts need to be replaced if this happens?

I belive it should be no problem, there is really not that many parts that could be abraded to cause a problem...

• Replies 369
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well upgrade all fitted and running like a champ - First test prints have come out fine, and its super quiet.

Now off to print the 'Wedge' :)

Oh nice! The Ulti-bot one or the 'Original'? ;)

Well after printing both which work as designed, it HAS to be the Ulti-bot one :)

Looks more fun, and I like the way it hangs off the side wall for easy access!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

So i finally got around to it and finished my design of a mount to be able to mount the UM2+ feeder to a UMO, and therefore be able to use the whole Extrusion Upgrade Kit including the printhead if used in combination with my printhead top piece.

It prints beautifully without support and it has a slot to hold the cable bundle with three zipties for tidy cable management :-)

I'll hope some of you guys gets use out of it, since i do not own a UMO+ myself... ^_^

So, here it is:

DnVnSxR.jpg

With the new feeder mounted (without motor):

og87Que.jpg

Get it on YouMagine:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-extrusion-upgrade-kit-mount-for-umo

You will also need my printhead top part to be able to mount the UM2 head the right way: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-printhead-top-for-umo

Edited by Guest
    • Like 7

OK Ultimaker,

I ordered my Ultimaker 2 Upgrade kit on 10 March 2016 at my German distributor 3Dmensionals. 3Dmensionals gets info from Ultimaker that at it will last 10 days delivery time.

Now i must read it will still last 4 to 6 weeks for delivery! Because I had to pay the invoice of 495€ directly, I am verry angry to have to wait so long and even much longer.

Ultimaker should think about a present for our paitent.

If you ordered the 10th of march it should be just normal that you are in the first position in the backlog for your distributor.

I think that they weren't expecting such a big enthousiasm for the upgrade kit, they are doing the best they can to speed up things, i know they are even doing extra hours to fullfill all the requests.

Anyway if anyone is in desperate need of an extrusion kit, i have 4 of them in stock at the moment in my shop.

• Like 1

Anyway if anyone is in desperate need of an extrusion kit, i have 4 of them in stock at the moment in my shop.

Can a moderator please prevent this guy from nasty advertizing...? :D

• Like 1

it's been a while now since I upgraded to the 2+, and I have been running my printer around the clock since with a bunch of different materials.

I have to say that I am extremely impressed by this upgrade and wanted to thank the Ultimaker team for making this available.

Upgraded my UM2 to UM2+.

Then I wanted to upgrade firmware to UM2+.

Go to Cura 15.02.1. Check for updates: No upgrades found!.

Then I select "Add new printer": There is no UM2+ in the list, just can see the UM2 and Extended.

I am able to update the firmware but the version I see is on the printer after update is: 15.02.1, Feb-2015.

Do I need to install other Cura version to upgrade firmware in my new UM2-to-UM2+ upgrade?

Ok. After installing 15.04.5, and updating new firmware, the display on UM2+ now tells it is going to perform some calibration tests, and asks to press Continue to go on.

Then the bed goes up and the head travels back to left back corner. Then a ***horrible noise**** comes as if the motors were trying to advance the head beyond the back of the printer!. I shat off  the printer right away!! Scary! :-(

What may be going on here!?

Edited by Guest

first.... don't panic! no worries, the printer can easily survive stuff like this....

Check if the x axis is sticking out enough at the left side to push the end stop.... both xy endstops are in the left/back of the printer, check if they are both pushed in when you move the head to the left/back.

I think the 2+ firmware upgrade also does a factory reset, so you start with a bed calibration, thats all normal.

• Like 1

You are right, the x axis bar was not hitting the endstop. And even the y axis bar was beyond the limit and was touching the bed guide bars!.

If I am not wrong, the x bar should touch the Y endstop while the X endstop is touched directly by the Y bar plastic holder, at least this is the way it works in my machine.

Is that right?.

BTW, should not the bars have some physical limits to prevent these mistakes?.

Thanks ultiarjan for your help!.

Correct.... I think it's stated somewhere in the upgrade manual... but I'm not sure...

When replacing filament, (option "Change") , and just at the very moment the filament is being rewind, my upgraded UM2+ sounds pretty much louder than my previous UM2. Actually the noise is definitely loud!

Do I must be concerned by this noise or is it common in any UM2+ ?.

When mounting the feeder I noticed it was pretty hard to put in place. I don't know, but perhaps have mounted it the wrong way ?.

It prints the parts nicely, so it seems the feeder is working.

Due to the gear it is a little bit louder than without a gear, but it makes up for a lot of quality printing. Could you make a recording of the sound perhaps? If you are worried we could have a look at it. Thanks!

Ok. After installing 15.04.5, and updating new firmware, the display on UM2+ now tells it is going to perform some calibration tests, and asks to press Continue to go on.

Then the bed goes up and the head travels back to left back corner. Then a ***horrible noise**** comes as if the motors were trying to advance the head beyond the back of the printer!. I shat off  the printer right away!! Scary! :-(

What may be going on here!?

I had the same problem - nearly jumped out of my skin! Perhaps its something that should be mentioned in the upgrade video.

Incidently, my UM2+ now refuses to keep the filament settings and I have to import from SD card every time I switch it on. Anyone else have this problem?

SanderVG, here it is the sound file:

Edited by Guest

Incidently, my UM2+ now refuses to keep the filament settings and I have to import from SD card every time I switch it on. Anyone else have this problem?

Do you have the standard firmware?

I have a similar problem with Tinker Gnome V16.03.1

SanderVG, here it is the sound file:

sound file

I had the same sound as you have. Some times the feeder motor even stall during the loading procedure.

Its easy to fix it. Remove your feeder and realign that metal plate. Hole in the metal plate should align exactly with hole in back panel. Mine was slightly off center and there was probably more friction in the gears as it should be.

Hynek

No way to improve noise. I will assume it has to be that way.

I am getting consistently worse printed parts using the upgraded UM2+ than the same parts printed on original UM2. In particular there are lot of bridges between small features and random over-extrusion. I have tried with different settings without success. I would not expect to print better, but I did expect to achieve same quality!.

For instance, try to print "giza.stl" from Thingiverse (scaled down to 50x50mm). In my UM2 original I get details that are missing or totally meseed up on the UM2+.

Hi Luisito, thank you for the recording. It is hard to say anything about the amount of decibel because I don't know how close you were while recording but the sound itself sounds quite normal :)

Hi Luisito, thank you for your latest update.

Could you share a photo with both prints displayed next to each other so we can see the difference?

You may want to play around with the temperature settings because the Extrusion upgrade came with a more accurate PT100, temperature measuring tool. It may mean that your previous PT100 was off by a few degrees and printing with the same temperatures doesn't give you the same result.

Detail: 7x5mm. Guess which part was printed with UM2+.