Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

SandervG

Posted · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

In the text you can read that it has a new stepper motor too, it is not just a duplicate.

It is different from the one you have installed now.

I had missed that, you're right. Thank you for the more detailed explanation.

I understand that some emphasis has been put on ease of use and simplicity. But you're selling this to Ultimaker 2 and Extended owners. If we weren't comfortable disassembling the print head, we'd have had a lot of trouble replacing the wonderfully consumable teflon spacer that's kept us limping along until now. Replacing the stepper motor isn't going to be a simple task, which makes me question how much extra trouble the additional parts (rods, bearings, housing, etc) are saving. Personally I don't think I need the stronger plastic printhead housing or the new rods (for example), but I'd love to see those parts available as spares for people who do.

What I'm really frustrated by is the price. This kit is $700 in Australia. It feels like there is a lot of profit in that price, which is tough to stomach for an upgrade pack that arguably fixes some flaws that the printer shipped with in the first place - especially when you consider that the market for this kit consists entirely of people who have already paid for the Ultimaker 2 or Extended.

I suppose I was expecting a reasonably-priced kit to address the fundamental printing issues. Of course I can understand the motivations of Ultimaker B.V. Perhaps it's just disappointing that those motivations align so poorly with mine, and, looking at some of these other comments, with those of others within the community.

I realise that this is somewhat of an entitled rant. As an owner of a high end printer I suppose I do feel somewhat entitled to a feeder that can feed, etc. Perhaps it is time for me to go off-piste and buy an Olsson block directly, then use it to print one of the other feeder upgrades. Of course I'll miss out on some of the very-nice-to-have additional upgrades, but then again, $700 can buy many nice things. Like an entire laser engraver.

• Like 3

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To echo another sentiment in here, will the parts of this upgrade kit be available à la carte? I, like others, I'm sure, have already invested in the Olsson Block and a new heater to go with it, and don't really have an interest in paying for the same parts twice....

• Like 1

This looks like a great simple, all in one upgrade kit. Looking forward to testing out the kit, as well as being able to print big and fast. I'm really excited by how versatile my UM2 Extended will now be!

Also, the now what will be a spare printhead/extrusion assembly will come in handy for a project I'm working on!

Don't worry guys all the parts of the kit will be available separately soon (i don't know when but it will be (like any other spare parts)).

The upgrade kit may seem expensive (i agree) but when you sum up all the parts:

Print head Shaft X: 15€

Print head Shaft Y: 15€

Print head pack (UM2): 195€ this one must be higher because of the olsson block, the 35w heater

Bowden pack: 19€

Feeder motor: 29€

Fan pack: 29.50

Feeder pack (UM2): 29.50 this one is also probably higher due to the more complex assembly

The total is already 332€ without VAT

This leaves you with 63€ VAT excluded for:

Olsson block instead of regular block

4 nozzles (0.25 0.4 0.6 0.8)

35w heater instead of 25w heater

bed clips :p

extra cost of the new feeder

And i'm not counting the axis tools and maybe the feeder motor that has probably a different price. So overall, the price is good from my point of view.

And also remember that not all users feel confortable dismanteling the head, putting new cables in the sleeve etc... i feel like this kit is really easy to install. And i understand that more "hardcore" users are disappointed because they have the skills to change only some parts, it will take a few more weeks (i guess) and then we will all be able to upgrade our beloved printers as we want to ;)

• Like 4

I'm curious: why are new clamps for the heated bed needed?

/ji

PS: Obviously this is not a complaint about the extra five cents the new clamps cost!

I don't understand why people are complaining. Would you rather an upgrade were *not* available, and to get the new features you would have to buy a new printer?

Prices are set by supply and demand. If you think the upgrade is too expensive for you, just don't buy it, or make your own.

Aside from the gear on the new feeder motor, and that it has a lower resolution than the older one, what else is different? Is it more powerful than the old one?

Posted (edited) · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

igo3d, the german distributor, removed the upgrade

kit from their shop - or am I simply unable to find it?!

Here you go, extrusion upgrade.

It is linked from the homepage where it is featured in the carrousel.

Why do they sell it more expensive than the msrp ? I think this is not really nice for an official representation of Ultimaker in Germany.

Edited by Guest

The new ones are meant to be easier to open and remove the glass without slicing your fingers to shreds like the old ones

• Like 1

Aside from the gear on the new feeder motor, and that it has a lower resolution than the older one, what else is different? Is it more powerful than the old one?

The gearing stops the motor heat heating up the hobbled drive wheel so it doesn't soften the filament as its feeding. This can cause grinding with the old feeder.

As its geared it can apply more force on the filament.

Yes the motor has less steps but the gearing makes up for it.

You shouldn't get the motor skipping back like the old one.

Is there another kit coming? One maybe without the Olsson block? I'm guessing there are lots of users who have already purchased this upgrade or got it with their machine. My interests are really with the feeder itself, and to some mild extent the fan shroud.

There is no specific kit coming with all the parts you see here, except the Olsson Block. If you have already bought an Olsson Block only the heater block may be a duplicate. All the nozzles can be used as spares, maybe to reduce downtime or for alternative materials. We wouldn't have been able to offer this upgrade fully assembled if we would have left the Olsson Block out. Plus we save you from the efforts of taking it out again and reinstalling it in this new print head. It makes a huge difference for the user experience.

I had missed that, you're right. Thank you for the more detailed explanation.

I understand that some emphasis has been put on ease of use and simplicity. But you're selling - .....- Personally I don't think I need the stronger plastic printhead housing or the new rods (for example), but I'd love to see those parts available as spares for people who do.

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply!

If you want to understand all the required steps of assembly we have created a detailed manual for you. What do you think? It is a pretty straightforward installation, which would take between 30 - 60 minutes.

If you are having difficulties with your current feeder or any other part in your Ultimaker, feel free to reach out to our support department so we can find out why and if it is not working as it should. I don't think this upgrade solves any 'flaws', otherwise the Ultimaker 2 would not have won so many awards or shoot outs. This upgrade offers parts that bump some already good parts to a level of excellence.

Looking forward hearing from you if you need any help sorting out any difficulties you are experiencing with your Ultimaker. Hope you have a great day!

Are the printing results so much better that the investment to upgrade kit is worth of the money?

I saw the same question posted yesterday in another thread and the answer was yes. Check it out :)

/ji

PS: Obviously this is not a complaint about the extra five cents the new clamps cost!

The 'original' clips were sometimes quite hard to open up and not comfortable for your fingers. These new clips have a 'handle' which is way more comfortable (or humane if you prefer) to use :)
    • Like 1

Not impressed really hear phoned the uk official supplier now sold out won't be in for another few weeks. Really only announced yesterday at 10.am I spoke to an outlet a few days ago who didn't even see it on there listings.

Posted (edited) · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

I bought an ......in your official Forum.

Hi Giddi, thank you for your post.

No problem, that is what the official forum is for. Well.. I like to think it is most of all a happy place where people share knowledge, experiences and make friends but it is also a place to find help. Official help too, on the official Ultimaker forum :)

We're sorry you feel frustrated, I can imagine if you felt like you already needed to make some modifications when you just got it, that this is an unwanted or untimely development for you. The Extrusion upgrade is not necessary, it is not like we'll discontinue to support the 'original' Ultimaker 2. It is also not like your Ultimaker 2 will start to perform worse now that there is an update available. I would suggest to enjoy your Ultimaker 2 and consider this upgrade once you feel your Ultimaker 2 is due to a renovation.

Feel free to send me a DM with a summary of what you felt like you needed to modify from the start so we can see if that was reasonable.

Just so you know, some of these parts should become available individually too. Not yet right now, but later. So we won't need to have this conversation again in a few weeks  ;)

Edited by Guest

The gearing stops the motor heat heating up the hobbled drive wheel so it doesn't soften the filament as its feeding. This can cause grinding with the old feeder.

As its geared it can apply more force on the filament.

Does the feeder have more torque to enable printing at a lower temperature?

I have printed at 130deg on the original feeder. How low do you want to go? :p

That is hard to tell because the PT100 gives a better reading, so in some cases it may be lower but that won't show in your settings, or just the other way around.

It does have more torque but I don't want to make any claims on how this will affect your print profile because of the new PT100.

I should have made myself clearer, apologies for that. Does the new extruder have more torque, and does that mean one can push more plastic through at a given temperature, assuming that only the extruder has been replaced and not the installed sensor?

@Labern, what exactly were you printing at 130C?

Is the PTFE coupler the same upgraded part that 3dsolex sell? I've already got that and it works well. So if the upgrade kit contains an inferior version I'd swap it out right away.

Thanks