Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

SandervG

Posted · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

I believe they also use an enforced material, but it is a different material than we use.

Someone recently mentioned it.. let me see if I can find it.

Anyway, our coupler is PTFE-TFM.

• Replies 369
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, too expensive. As others have said above most of us have already spent money trying to upgrade or replace some of these parts already. I am anxious to hear if users who install it feel that it justifies the price. The extruder has always been a week link. Hope it helps to make these printers even more dependable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

Also, I'm wondering. The "+" sticker, is it long lasting, easy to apply properly?

I know, I'm a bit mental about these things :)

It looks like cad-cut sign vinyl, should last the printers lifetime if applied properly (clean the surface before you apply it with alcohol)

The extruder has always been a week link.  Hope it helps to make these printers even more dependable.

My UM2+ has absolutely been the most dependable printer i have used!

Edited by Guest

I believe it has been asked a few times, if not this is just an additional piece of information; the feeder + motor will also become available separately later down the road. Hopefully this will give some of you a little peace of mind :)

I believe it has been asked a few times, if not this is just an additional piece of information; the feeder + motor will also become available separately later down the road. Hopefully this will give some of you a little peace of mind :)

That's exactly what I wanted to know. I think the whole kit is a great idea, but having just upgraded to the Olsson block & SS spacer in December, replacing it just isn't needed at this point. The feeder + motor, otoh, are of great interest to me. Thanks!

• Like 1

I should have made myself clearer, apologies for that. Does the new extruder have more torque, and does that mean one can push more plastic through at a given temperature, assuming that only the extruder has been replaced and not the installed sensor?

The motor is a different model and I'm not sure how the specs compare. But the gearing alone provides more torque so yes you should be able to push the filament at lower temps. Robert has also mentioned that the printed parts are slightly heavier than with the old feeder which means it's extruding slightly more.

Hey @SandervG, thanks for your reply - and for staying so upbeat and positive.

What do you think? It is a pretty straightforward installation, which would take between 30 - 60 minutes.

That looks very straightforward. The point I was trying (and failing) to make was that this whole process isn't super-simple for some people, and that swapping the individual print head parts isn't THAT much more complex than the approach of replacing the whole head. I get that feeding wires is fiddly, etc, but with any 3d printer today there is fiddly work involved. For many of us, installing a new PT-100 (for example) is no big deal. There is money to be saved in replacing only those parts that need it. Anyway, this is perhaps nitpicky on my part. Ultimaker's philosophy seems to be that the head design has had so many changes that it's best to replace the whole thing.

If you are having difficulties with your current feeder or any other part in your Ultimaker, feel free to reach out to our support department so we can find out why and if it is not working as it should. I don't think this upgrade solves any 'flaws', otherwise the Ultimaker 2 would not have won so many awards or shoot outs. This upgrade offers parts that bump some already good parts to a level of excellence.

The feeder problems are very well documented on this forum and elsewhere, so it surprises me to read that you feel there are no flaws. Winning a shootout isn't the same as working reliably over an extended period. Now, granted, the print quality is outstanding when the feeder feeds. When I bought this machine it was advertised as wifi-ready, dual-material capable (coming soon!), and able to print at 200mm/s. Even if you forgive the dual-material engineering difficulties and accept the weird Doodle3d box as "wifi enabled," we're still left with a printer that was advertised as 200mm/s, which has a 30mm/s feeder.

Looking forward hearing from you if you need any help sorting out any difficulties you are experiencing with your Ultimaker. Hope you have a great day!

The difficulties I'm experiencing stem from the feeder design and the teflon spacer, both of which I can solve by purchasing this upgrade... for the cost of a used car ;)

Just so you know, some of these parts should become available individually too. Not yet right now, but later. So we won't need to have this conversation again in a few weeks.

This is fantastic news. I will more than likely be looking into upgrading the feeder. I will keep a high price in mind so that I don't get my little heart set on it again ;)

This upgrade looks remarkable: splendidly designed; beautifully packaged; extortionately priced.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

Just ordered - I went with 3D Universe (US) as they were showing the fastest expected "ship by" date (3/18). Hope to actually have it before the end of March!

I'm also really hoping this is the end of my under-extrusion saga - I've never really been able to print reliably faster than 40mm/s (0.2mm layers), and even then I'm running at 245C and with exclusively Faberdashery filament (tighter filament curvature on the rear spools kills it). I love Faberdashery, but it's quite pricey in comparison to others, and I'd love to be able to use a rear-spooled vs. my floor-fed turntable. Feedback so far sounds promising, and the updates seem to address all these issues, so my fingers are crossed!

In terms of the pricing, I've had UM2s since late 2013, so I'm not going to complain that I need to spend 13% of the original purchase price to replace 1/2 of the machine's critical components. Yes, it's a bit steep to fix something that never worked perfectly in the first place, but it's not like Ultimaker did any of this on purpose - and they could have never released this upgrade at all.

• Like 1

Just ordered - I went with 3D Universe (US) as they were showing the fastest expected "ship by" date (3/18). Hope to actually have it before the end of March!

I'm also really hoping this is the end of my under-extrusion saga - I've never really been able to print reliably faster than 40mm/s (0.2mm layers), and even then I'm running at 245C and with exclusively Faberdashery filament (tighter filament curvature on the rear spools kills it). I love Faberdashery, but it's quite pricey in comparison to others, and I'd love to be able to use a rear-spooled vs. my floor-fed turntable. Feedback so far sounds promising, and the updates seem to address all these issues, so my fingers are crossed!

In terms of the pricing, I've had UM2s since late 2013, so I'm not going to complain that I need to spend 13% of the original purchase price to replace 1/2 of the machine's critical components. Yes, it's a bit steep to fix something that never worked perfectly in the first place, but it's not like Ultimaker did any of this on purpose - and they could have never released this upgrade at all.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the upgrade kit. Keep us posted though. ;)

Robert has also mentioned that the printed parts are slightly heavier

Isn't this the kind of stuff that should really concern Ultimaker?

I mean, 'less weight' isn't something to take slightly unless you print models from youmagine or non technical stuff. And to that you can add

print neutron shielding and your objects always ends up 10% lighter than the theoretical weight

Quote from here

Doesn't this means that UM2 feeder fails a X % to extrude plastic ?

Well, first thing that comes to mind is.. what is 100% ?

Maybe the original feeder was right, and other feeders / X where over extruding?

Maybe Cura gives a not 100% estimation?

.. something I said? :p

No, but the lack of thereof.

I'm not saying that argument to charge against the feeder um2 had or if that was a problem. But I say it because a technical explanation for that x amount missing vs um2+, could be really nice to keep upgrading the general knowhow and would help many users (at least me) to fill their curiosity of 'how things work' and how can they be improved to fix or make them better. For me the answer it's a direct drive. But also to keep bowdens, a mix from the ideas we have on 'the other side' and a sollution to meassure the pressure inside the bowden like the one Bertho posted a week ago with some new hardware to keep reading and compensating the extrusion values.

It's this a must? No. It would be nice to perfectly control the Bowden pressure and mystery plastic missing. Yes. Why? Knowledge, perfectionism, and ultimately, better prints.

My "..." it's because I'm still waiting for science to show. I don't need to blame the old feeder motor, I wan't to know in what direction Ultimaker will keep pushing the boundaries of 3d printing and that requieres a longer explanation than yours. Sorry. But if a scientific guy printing electro shielding stuff says that there's a 10% missing, I would check it out. I did found out the same, but I'm no scientific, so I got zero answers from my 10% missing extrusion post.

Edited by Guest

oh, I wasn't diverting an attack on the feeder, by all means.

My questions were more to prevent an assumption to consider a certain number or difference as abnormality or bench mark. To find out what is happening, determining what '100% / normal' is sounds right. Also, it was only very recently that I read about that 'slightly heavier' feel for the first time, so I don't know much about it.

I did hear about your 10% in feedrate mystery too. I'm still working on finding a solution for you :)

• Like 1

I can imaging it to be interesting to compare feeders/printers based on the theoretical weight (material density x volume of item) v.s. the real result. I guess depending on the type of item the impact of the slicer can be big. Anyhow a test between various Ultimakers (OMU, UM2, UM2+, and the bondtech could be interesting... Also a test to see the variance between same printers could be interesting. I think repeatability is still an issue with 3dprinting.

• Like 2

I can imaging it to be interesting to compare feeders/printers based on the theoretical weight (material density x volume of item) v.s. the real result.  I guess depending on the type of item the impact of the slicer can be big. Anyhow a test between various Ultimakers (OMU, UM2, UM2+, and the bondtech could be interesting... Also a test to see the variance between same printers could be interesting. I think repeatability is still an issue  with 3dprinting.

I expect that these values will be different from one material to another (Due to slip of the knurled wheel)

There is always going to be some slip. Doesn't matter what feeder you are using. The amount of slip will change though and like nallath said it can be material dependant.

It's how much do you compensate for the amount of slip?

If you adjust the temp then this will adjust the amount of pressure then this will adjust the amount of slip in the drive wheel.

That's why I am also interested in measuring the pressure. But you can't do this on small prints or ones with heaps of retractions as the value will constantly change.

If the temp is accurate and the amount of slip it constant then the prints will be good. We used to achieve this by using driven material rolls with taper control. This way the feeder resistance from the roll side would stay constant. The new PT100 will also help keep the pressure at a constant and the rest is a matter of software.

Edited by Guest

I just bought this 5 minutes ago, I hope this $400 investment is worth it, because my printer has been a $2500 brick unable, to print a single thing for the past few months. I think ive spent more time trying to fix all the issues, than actually printing.

• Like 1

Join the club,

• Like 1

I don't understand all the hate for the price, when I priced it out based on all the spare parts you get, the kit is half the cost of the individual parts:

$35 Geared Feeder Motor

$20 Geared Feeder

$109 Oslon Block Kit (with nozzles)

$28 Temp Sensor

$31 35W Heater Cartridge

$18 PTFE Couple (TFM)

$20 Steel Coupler

$10 Bowden Tube

$18 Fan Shroud

$3 Better Bed Clips

$6 Collet & Retaining Clip

$24 Cooling Fans

$15 Print Head Block Set

$35 Print Head Cables / Wiring Loom

$500 UM 2+ Sticker

??? Rods

$877 TOTAL (+ what ever the rods cost)

I couldn't find a set of spare X/Y rods sold anywhere, but I guess I didn't look very hard. Of course most of these costs were related to the UM2 original spare parts, being that the new ones aren't sold (yet).

• Like 3

$500  UM 2+ Sticker

Awesome XD

• Like 2

LOL

Come on people its 2016... you should know by now the price of a product is not determined by the cost of it's components ...

• Like 1