Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

SandervG

Posted · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

Hi' Valcrow, Checked today and was listed as"+" but I had to update the firmware 3 times before it accepted the update and I had checked USB connection and the lead,all OK. It is now working fine. Thanks again for your help. Oldtimer.

• Replies 369
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Oldtimer: There is a little gamification system in here where you get points for every post. If somebody likes your post you get points for that too. And if you respond to a post and the original poster chooses your answer as the best one - you'd get points too. Then you can level up and just brag around how awesome you are :)

You can reply to a post and quote it with the "Reply" button on the right side. Then just put your answer above or below the pre-filled text.

If you only want to reply to the entire thread, like I do now, just fill your text into the box at the bottom of the page and hit "Post Reply".

• Like 1

Hi' Valcrow,  Checked today and was listed as"+" but I had to update the firmware 3 times before it accepted the update and I had checked USB connection and the lead,all OK.  It is now working fine.  Thanks again for your help. Oldtimer.

No problem! glad it worked out!

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

Loving a lot of things about the upgrade but am having a little trouble with the top layers of prints done at higher resolutions.  

IMG_4476.jpg

-Z.jpgThis is done at 80 micron layer height, 250 micron nozzle, and an extrusion multiplier of 1.04.  I am going to print some calibration cubes now...

Thanks for any pointers,

Will

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Try to tighten the short belts a bit.

I saw a reference to doing that in the visual guide and will give it a shot.

Thanks,

Will

And again my question:

The old printhead has a plug which is connected to jp3 8/16 step. Nothing about it the manual.

The new printhead do not have this plug?!?

So now? Just leave it unused?

Maybe someone could say something about this?

Edited by Guest

I believe that this controls the fans.

It is in the

at 1:07

And shown in the gif on this page.

It is also the first cable being inserted again in this gif.

No, it is the Plug above the e in Ultimaker on the mainboard. What you mean is the the fan plug.

I got an another plug which was to the port jp3 connected.

There are 5 plugs on the old printhead:

image.thumb.jpeg.c80715889c44ee50775fd689dcbe11c6.jpeg

Blue orange hot end fan (middel Board)

Two thin wires PT100 into Temp1

Yellow green into Fan pwm

Two single wires heater carteidge into Heater1

And the red brown one?? This one was in jp3 and the new printhead doesn't have it.

image.thumb.jpeg.c80715889c44ee50775fd689dcbe11c6.jpeg

Edited by Guest

The brown and red cable plug is unused and is not meant to be plugged anywhere.

Good to know.

It would be nice to write this in the manuel..

What is on the other end of that cable?! I mean on newer boards jp3 is supposed to be a jumper... shorting 5v and the MS3 input, which has a pull down but is not really capable of being a supply for anything...

Edited by Guest

After almost a year of infuriating under-extrusion with my UM2 and trying everything (new head, teflon insulator, bowden tube, feeder and many other mods) I upgraded it with the 2+ kit. The mechanical work is not as smooth as described on the video :-) (my motherboard wiring was different) but I was able to get it done properly ... then when I switched the printer back on, the head crashed against the enclosure when homing. I switched it off immediately and dismounted again the motherboard cache to check for unconnected X/Y homing wires ... to finally discover that the new head dimension was different enough so that the fan hit the enclosure before the switch of the X axis could be actionned ... it was very infuriating that I had to heavily bend the small metal piece of the switch. I really think the UM could have made a bit fat warning about that !  So well, other than that, printings are now excellent, under-extrusion is gone !

Edited by Guest

I really think the UM could have made a bit fat warning about that !  So well, other than that, printings are now excellent, under-extrusion is gone !

Did you update the firmware?

I really think the UM could have made a bit fat warning about that !  So well, other than that, printings are now excellent, under-extrusion is gone !

Im still waiting for my upgrade, i have a question, im Using Simplify3d as slicer, what do i Need to Keep in mind when uprgrading?... i mean, in the last Version of simply3d the U2+ is not in the list of suported Printers.

to be preciseand clear: if i update the Firmware from CURA to u2+ and i still use in simplify3d U2(plain) configuration, everything will be working? or some imcompabilities will ocurr?

Loving a lot of things about the upgrade but am having a little trouble with the top layers of prints done at higher resolutions.  

IMG_4476.jpg

-Z.jpgThis is done at 80 micron layer height, 250 micron nozzle, and an extrusion multiplier of 1.04.  I am going to print some calibration cubes now...

Thanks for any pointers,

Will

Damn that is quite a nice print! Hetzers gonna Hetz! What model is this?

Did the short belts do the trick? If not, how are your first layers? Could be that the bed is slightly too low?

@Oldtimer: There is a little gamification system in here where you get points for every post. If somebody likes your post you get points for that too. And if you respond to a post and the original poster chooses your answer as the best one - you'd get points too. Then you can level up and just brag around how awesome you are :)

You can reply to a post and quote it with the "Reply" button on the right side. Then just put your answer above or below the pre-filled text.

If you only want to reply to the entire thread, like I do now, just fill your text into the box at the bottom of the page and hit "Post Reply".

Thanks Nicolinux, I wondered why it came up several times, at 83 years I find these things a bit confusing !.
    • Like 1

Im still waiting for my upgrade, i have a question, im Using Simplify3d as slicer, what do i Need to Keep in mind when uprgrading?... i mean, in the last Version of simply3d the U2+ is not in the list of suported Printers.

to be preciseand clear: if i update the Firmware from CURA to u2+ and i still use in simplify3d U2(plain) configuration, everything will be working? or some imcompabilities will ocurr?

You do the upgrade using Cura and then Simpliy3D will work fine...no changes except some fine tuning needed with any of my profiles. Other than the price I am delighted with the upgrade. I used to have startup extrusion issues that required manual attention to ensure they did not happen..have not had one since. The time to heat the new nozzle is great. I have not demonstrated the fan capability yet but have some tests in mind. I was already running an Olson Block so can not say enough about how life changing interchangeable nozzles can be. Hang in there.

BTW, for anyone with the upgrade, I have not noticed this link (but I have not looked for it) either. It is very handy for switching nozzles and making sure they are tight but not too tight:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/nozzle-torque-wrench

• Like 1

I was already running an Olson Block so can not say enough about how life changing interchangeable nozzles can be.

Ok, life changing may be a little bit of an exaggeration...but as far as my 3D Printing experience goes over the past two and a half years of non-stop work...it is pretty darn close to that verbage.

Damn that is quite a nice print! Hetzers gonna Hetz! What model is this?

Did the short belts do the trick? If not, how are your first layers? Could be that the bed is slightly too low?

I have not done the short belts yet as my wife was traveling and I need an extra pair of hands to help get the tension on them. I am pretty sure that I was having an under extrusion issue as a result of a partially blocked nozzle but I have been distracted.

Bed is probably too close to the nozzle...my usual and the new extruder can actually print closer than you would really like sometimes. Something to watch!

If you are interested in AFV prints check out my blog at http://raspberrypirobot.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/3d-print-technologies-costs-for-3d.html I have been using AFV's as a proxy for learning about printing and demonstrating the use of 3D printing. And I like tanks.

Will

Yes I did (otherwise the feeder turns in the wrong direction)

how many people are having feeder problems with the upgrade? I upgraded my perfectly good machine and now have a very expensive paperweight and not even UM support can figure it out. I got about 9 hours of printing from my upgrade before I got under extrusion. sent it all back to UM and they replaced the feeder and got about 6 hours of printing sent it to me I got about 1 hour and the same thing. I'm thinking of throwing my old stuff back on and shipping back the mess that was sold. (when it did print the prints were lovely! just wish it could print longer then 6-10 hours)

(I am not an amateur at this so if you mention it I have done it)

UM makes a great printer I hope they figure something out as I'm 3 weeks soon to be 4 weeks behind schedule.

well everyone I can say I have fixed the problem! with a lot of trial and error the problem is the actual feeder! I am actually printing parts for the first time in 3 weeks because I put my old feeder system back on! they need to redesign the feeder system. I think I know what the fix is.

well everyone I can say I have fixed the problem! with a lot of trial and error the problem is the actual feeder! I am actually printing parts for the first time in 3 weeks because I put my old feeder system back on! they need to redesign the feeder system. I think I know what the fix is.

with such a bold statement it would be nice if you could elaborate on what you think is wrong with the + feeder... and how you want it fixed.... and maybe share a picture if anything broke?

sorry just excited that my machine is printing again after 3 weeks of being broken. I will post up pictures of what I have seen and I think is causing issues. I'm having a well deserved beer atm.