Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

SandervG

Posted · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

I got my upgrade kit in the mail in USA the other day. Installed it yesterday using video as instruction. Very easy upgrade, pretty much fool proof. My only problem is it is taking forever to download the latest version of Cura so I can select 2+ and update firmware. When set at 2, the feeder runs backwards and won't load.:(

• Replies 369
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SandervG

Hi,

can you give us an upate on the delivery times of the extrusion upgrade kit in Germany (and Europe)? I just talked to the (only) german reseller and they said they are expecting a delivery in mid April. They can't tell how many kits they will receive and when they are able to deliver "my" kit. I ordered immediately after receiving a newsletter saying that the kit is available (on March 9th). At that time their website stated: Delivery times 1-3 days(!). They immediately collected the money, but today (2 weeks later) they can't tell when they are able to deliver.

I didn't like to order the kit from iGo3d (Germany) anyway because of very bad experiences with them and I would like to cancel the order. But there are obviously no other ways to buy the kit. The ultimaker webshop is gone.

Hi Guys,

First post :/

I've recently purchased a used Ultimaker 2 Extended knowing this upgrade kit was in the pipeline. We were fortunate enough to get one of the first extrusion upgrade kits available in Canada.

Just a couple things I might point out regarding the upgrade videos. Firstly, I thought overall they were very well made, however just a couple minor details I noticed which threw me off when I performed the upgrade last night.

In the videos, when the cables were 'disconnected' they came off ridiculously easy (simply because they were never actually connected in the first place), and this was a bit misleading to me. I honestly had no idea how to disconnect the cables at first and thought I was doing something wrong. After a bit of tinkering, and making sure I could see the connections properly I did eventually realize how I was suppose to get them off easy. A little 30 second 'if you've never disconnected these types of connections before, do this......' would have really helped for dummies like me ;) and it would have been nice to know the size of the socket wrenched used.

After that, the upgrade was smooth sailing! Like I said, I thought the videos were really well done. I'll be putting the printer through its paces starting NOW ;)

Thanks!

• Like 2

I just recently purchased an Ultimaker 2. If you do the upgrade does it void any warranty the printer has? I did purchase the upgrade from 3D Universe in the US and received it fairly quick. If anyone knows if upgrading will effect the warranty please let me know. I guess it wouldn't be the first time that I voided a warranty but would rather keep from it if possible.

@SandervG

Hi,

can you give us an upate on the delivery times of the extrusion upgrade kit in Germany (and Europe)? I just talked to the (only) german reseller and they said they are expecting a delivery in mid April. They can't tell how many kits they will receive and when they are able to deliver "my" kit. I ordered immediately after receiving a newsletter saying that the kit is available (on March 9th). At that time their website stated: Delivery times 1-3 days(!). They immediately collected the money, but today (2 weeks later) they can't tell when they are able to deliver.

I didn't like to order the kit from iGo3d (Germany) anyway because of very bad experiences with them and I would like to cancel the order. But there are obviously no other ways to buy the kit. The ultimaker webshop is gone.

same Thing here, ordered the same day you did your order (march 9th) Money collected, but no kit in sight, nor even a glimpse of when the delivery can be done...

Not to pound on a dead horse....BUT...WHERE IS MY UPGRADE? Am in the UK waiting patiently, or not so, as the case might be!

Will

I just recently purchased an Ultimaker 2. If you do the upgrade does it void any warranty the printer has? I did purchase the upgrade from 3D Universe in the US and received it fairly quick. If anyone knows if upgrading will effect the warranty please let me know. I guess it wouldn't be the first time that I voided a warranty but would rather keep from it if possible.

Hi @Sealfish, you will not void your warranty by upgrading your Ultimaker 2 using this upgrade. Good luck! :)

Hi @Wisar and @Esteban-pacheco, thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear you are still waiting for your upgrade. I'm sure they will be delivered quickly. I would recommend to get in touch with your reseller about information regarding your order. Since you purchased your upgrade with them they should be able to give you a better reply than I could.

I'll see what information I can find in terms of upgrade kits being shipped to our distributors.

Good luck!

Not at all impressive - Official reseller as derived from UM website. in the UK no delivery times at all no idea of how many kits they will get. Very frustrating for the people who want it.

Not at all impressive - Official reseller as derived from UM website.  in the UK no delivery times at all no idea of how many kits they will get.  Very frustrating for the people who want it.

Double this for me! Reseller indicates that the ball is in the distributors court. Err. I think that means Ultimaker!

I took note of your questions and am currently waiting for a reply which hopefully contains some more information regarding your specific order. I did hear that this week we will ship out a new batch to our EU resellers so hopefully that includes your order.

Will get back with you once I have more information.

Again our apologies for the inconvenience.

I took note of your questions and am currently waiting for a reply which hopefully contains some more information regarding your specific order. I did hear that this week we will ship out a new batch to our EU resellers so hopefully that includes your order.

Will get back with you once I have more information.

Again our apologies for the inconvenience.

the german reseller says they're waiting for a shipment, and the don't know when and how many kits they will be recieving, lead time now is 5 to 6 weeks... currently they don't have any, and theres no more information... is such a shame that as a costumer you don't have other options where to buy....

Posted (edited) · Upgrade your Ultimaker 2 with the Extrusion upgrade

Door bell rang at 8:01 this morning for delivery of two upgrades for my printers (thanks Will at 3dGbIre)!  One machine in pieces.  Pretty straight forward so far but not a task for the faint hearted!  If you are squeamish at the sight of a printers internal organs then you probably do not want to DiY this upgrade.  Have some other things that are keeping me from working on the upgrade but hope to get back to it this afternoon.

Printer #1 is up and running though first print failed for a reason nothing to do with the upgrade as I used the wrong profile for the print. The printer sounds different as I guess one might expect given a change to the feeder.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Finally received the gold-priced cardboard box and installed it. It took me two hours and certainly not a click and snap procedure. The cables and mainboard are delicate, and I even had to disconnect several of the stopper because whoever assembled my original machine had them intertwined in such a way I couldn't get the hotend fan cable out of the Ultimaker.

But after wrestling and fighting with the "ikea"-wrench, now the old print head lays quietly on the table like a dead alien. Even took the opportunity to clean up and freshen the printer, so it looks almost like a new one.

Now it is time for first test print. Updated to Tinkergnome 16.03. And the new sound from the new extruder certainly is different. So far the print looks very good. So everything seem to be working properly.

After it finishes I think it is back to find the optimal settings for Simplify3D and all my materials.

Oh and one thing, the "+" stickers should have different sizes so they match both the front and backplate.

Edited by Guest

I just wanted to say that I'm in the UK, and I received the upgrade kit this week (Thursday I think). I'm posting this to assure fellow UK users that kits are being shipped by the official distributor (3dgbire). I think I made the order around the beginning of March, they were quite clear that there was going to be a wait - and I didn't mind because I have a lot of other projects occupying my time.

Finally received the gold-priced cardboard box and installed it. It took me two hours and certainly not a click and snap procedure.

Even took the opportunity to clean up and freshen the printer, so it looks almost like a new one.

Oh and one thing, the "+" stickers should have different sizes so they match both the front and backplate.

Two machines upgraded and working with the gold plated upgrade! While the second one went faster than the first there was still some swearing. Why are the spacers for the mother board in two pieces?

The printers do sound different ... one aspect being a much louder retraction. I used pretty aggressive retraction on some profiles so am re-tuning as it does seem the upgrade does a better job of not oozing.

Startup for prints seems to have gotten more reliable with the new feeder. I used to have an occasional startup failure and had resorted to jolting the hot end with some high heat and a manual extrusion and then turning it over to the print. I have not been doing that since the upgrade and have not had a failure. Could just be fresh coupler but I hope not!

I also took the opportunity to clean one of my machines...will get to the other one soon...once I figure out what I did to the glass from the printer I cleaned. Have used hair spray with PLA for the past 2.5 years with never a problem of platform adhesion but now I can't get it to work and am using 3DLAC which I try to save for co-polysters. Strange.

Hindsight being 20-20 I should have done a test print or two, with known settings, before and after the upgrade but alas I did not. My feeling, however, is that I am getting a noticeable improvement. Darn well should!

One big problem though. I lost one of the two sticker sheets. Any one from Ultimaker reading this? :-)

Will

Why are the board spacers in two pieces? Shouldn't be. You could print a proper one yourself any time :)

I think he means that there's a metal spacer/nut on the board and then there's the plastic spacer in addition to that. I _hate_ those things... I'm better at getting them in place now after having done it a bunch of times but I still hate the bastards :p

Oh I get it. Yep, these little suckers made me swear a few times before...

It would be interesting to see a video clip of a before and after install for sound difference etc..  

Might also be neat to see a print before and after.  If I get a kit, I will do it and post the results here.  Until then, thanks to everyone for sharing their experience so far.

Edited by Guest

I just wanted to say that I'm in the UK, and I received the upgrade kit this week (Thursday I think). I'm posting this to assure fellow UK users that kits are being shipped by the official distributor (3dgbire). I think I made the order around the beginning of March, they were quite clear that there was going to be a wait - and I didn't mind because I have a lot of other projects occupying my time.

You are one of the lucky ones! Getting on for 4 weeks since ordered from 3DGBIRE and not a sausage.

Received mine in the beginning of this week. I waited until today to install it... Was waiting for an UM2+ compatible release of TinkerGnome firmware (after using that I can't fantom going back to stock). Anyhow, he released a build yesterday so I've upgraded the printer. Seems to be working well.

I like the fact that the hotend cooling fan is tons quieter. No more drone-y sound the entire time.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

So upgrading to the latest UM2+ FW set the E-Steps back to 282 (I used to have a different value due to using another knurled wheel), but I get the distinct impression that it's underextruding now. 0.8mm wall has 2 distinct lines now and the regular layer lines seem not to overlap either.. Any suggestions?

IMG_20160409_132846.thumb.jpg.7dd2d81b1c841644396db5631ca96cf7.jpg

IMG_20160409_132846.thumb.jpg.7dd2d81b1c841644396db5631ca96cf7.jpg

Just upgraded to tinker 16.3.1 on the upgraded machine myself. Will test some later today. What slicer / wall thickness did you use?