Cura: Support structure speed

laserb

Posted · Cura: Support structure speed

Is there a way to change the speed when support structures are printed on Cura?

I'm using an UM2 and try to print a  complicated print that needs support structures. Everything on the prints are ok, except when the support structures are printed. I think the problem is that when the support structures are printed the machine increases the speed. I've managed to reduced the speed on everything else and it all slows down, but every time  the support structures are printed it speeds up. The only exception is the bottom layer which seems fine.

So is there a way to slow down the speed for the support structures.

in the advanced settings you'll find the speed settings. Best is to set them all to 0: infill/outer/bottom etc. Leave (bottom) first layer like it is.

Is it the print speed you want to reduce or the travel speed?

Wow, thanks for the fast reply!

Is it the print speed you want to reduce or the travel speed?

It's the print speed.

I've changed both travel speed and print speed, but as far as I've see, this had no effect on the print speed of the support.

the difference could be that the speed you set as print speed in the basic tab (how fast?) never reaches its max. speed because of curved or short distances (is it a complex model?)

The supports are long straight lines where the set speed can reach its max. Could this make the difference?

the difference could be that the speed you set as print speed in the basic tab (how fast?) never reaches its max. speed because of curved or short distances (is it a complex model?)

The supports are long straight lines where the set speed can reach its max. Could this make the difference?

Don't think this is the explanation.

The first layer of the supports are printed noticeably slower, it has the same speed as the main print. But when the following layers (for the supports) are printed they are printed much faster and have trouble sticking to the previous layers.

the difference could be that the speed you set as print speed in the basic tab (how fast?)...

50 mm/s

what is your main speed? The first layer is by default always slower, 20mm/sec.

what is your main speed? The first layer is by default always slower, 20mm/sec.

50 mm/s

try slowing it down, you mentioned it is a complicated print, can you show a picture?

try slowing it down, you mentioned it is a complicated print, can you show a picture?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:196038

I've reduced the scale so it's only about 5 cm. And I've stopped the print after about 5 layers. So the complex part hasn't even started.

I think it's weird that it only speeds up when the supports are printed. Perhaps there is another setting I accidently changed.

yes, that is a complex print at that size!

what are your support settings?, click the little box behind the support type

by scaling it down this far there will be some holes in the wings and 'tail' because parts are getting too thin (below 0.4 mm) to print...

When all the speeds in the advanced tabs are set to a real speed (not 0), the 'print speed' option in the first tab only controls the support printing speed. A good number for line support would be around 25-30 mm/s, 50mm/s is too high.

When all the speeds in the advanced tabs are set to a real speed (not 0), the 'print speed' option in the first tab only controls the support printing speed. A good number for line support would be around 25-30 mm/s, 50mm/s is too high.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!